Used 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

I Love My Cavy!
By luvmycavy

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Really fun to drive. Not very reliable though.Cramped with many people in the car but perfect just for me. Needs more horsepower. Perfect first car. LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Design, very sporty and manueverable.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower, performance.

Worst choice of my life
By disturbedchic

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Bought a '95 Cavalier to replace what I thought was an ailing car I should've kept. In the 7 months I've owned the car it's had mechanical problems 6 times. First day I got it found out something was wrong with the transmission which would make it freeze up and not switch gears when it warmed up. The water pump busted and I went through 4 jugs of antifreeze before it could get fixed, transmission started to go, car would max out at 50, back door popped right open one day around a turn, and just recently it would take a city block to get it to 30mph and the whole exhaust system nearly touches the ground while the converter looks ready to blow.

Favorite Features

Good space on the interior and looks sharp on the outside, gas mileage decent.

Suggested Improvements

Unless mine was a fluke or a bad year build a better car overall with reliable trans and more accessible parts under the hood (spark plugs horrid to change). Needs smoother ride and more comfy seats. Engine needs more power.

Head Gaskets-Bad
By Sandy

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car went trough its first set of head gaskets under 12,000 miles, then again in the 20,000's. These first two times it was under warrenty. But it went again, this time I had to pay. It is not cheap. You think Chevy would have recalled or taken care of this problem. I was not the only one. So can you guess what this car needs now again for the 4th time? Yes, head gaskets again... So you know that this time I will not buy a Chevy again. They just don't take care of their customers. Time to buy a Honda Civic.

Favorite Features

It was great in winter snow, handled fine and started in the cold. Had great gas mileage for an inexpensive auto.

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket, brakes, crash test results, and owner loyality reviews.

NEVER buy again
By Cavalier hater

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from my mechanic in 2000. I have had nothing but problems with it since purchasing it. I had to replace the transmission, I have had leaks in the oil and radiator. The A/C works, but using it causes the car to overheat. Problems w/ the starter and acceleration, very noisy. Speakers on the driver's side don't work, door panneling is falling off, and locks are falling off. This car is in the shop every 3-4 months. I had a '87 Olds that drove better and needed less repairs. My b/f has a 2001 Cavalier and is having problems with it as well. I wouldn't recommend buying this car used.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, and fold down back seat. I can always get all my gear in the car. However, the newer models seem to have less cargo room. Nice sporty look. Good gas milage. Holds the road nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Make cup holders that are functional. Improve the mechanics and reliability. Improve construction, car litterally falls apart after about the 3rd year on the road. Improve gas milage. 2004 Cavalier's are UGLY, change that. Improve quality. currently not a car to own >4yrs.

Not a bad little car
By Not a bad car

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Well I bought the car in 1999 and it had around 50,000 miles on it. Around a month or two later the A/C compressor started grinding and was covered by warranty. Next after it was payed for the head gasket blew which was around $700.00 to fix which was a bargain considering the work. I still own the car that is the extent of the work that has been done on the car besides regular maintenance. Well last month i had my A/c recharged at that time the whole system was checked for any leaks and it was approved. Over all i'm satisfied with this car now it has just peaked at 100,000 miles and still running strong.

Favorite Features

Styling, Fuel economy, Price, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

the only complaint is that the interior panels crack and i personally take care of the car I guess its a design flaw.