Used 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great Car considering its cost:
By Steve

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Ok I've read enough about the negatives of this car. 5/2010 mine is 15 yrs old has 162K miles & other than mostly normal wear/tear/maintenance like oil, tires, anti-freeze, battery, brakes, belts, hoses, trans flush, plugs/wires, fuel filter, light bulbs its a great value for what it cost. I get mpg around 20 city/30 highway. A few "Out of the norm repairs", AC compressor, Rack-n-Pinion steering, power window motors, one wheel bearing, broken side mirror. Honestly other than a few cracks in the plastic trim, worn seat belts & a little hesitation in acceleration from age this has been a joy to own.

Very good MPG for a '95 car. Great reliability. Low cost of ownership. Above average styling in & out. 4Dr allows easy passenger access. Between a harsh truck/rough and sporty ride. Well laid out controls. Nice standard features.

Back seat foot room definitely cramped, should have sacrificed some trunk room. Squeeze out a few more MPG. Needs a little better acceleration. Thicker/sturdier plastic trim. Improve front seat comfort.

Horrible, horrible vehicle
By me2000

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but problems with this car. The water pump went out, the head gasket is currently leaking so I have to keep putting coolant in ($10 per bottle adds up!), continuously having to replace the brakes every year, electrical problems. I have stalled three times because of this crappy car. It's rusting beneath the gas cap. Overheats all the time. I can't even put the AC on or it'll overheat. Do not buy this car. It's a money pit. I'm getting a new car in two weeks because I cannot take it anymore. I absolutely dread going into this car every time I drive it. You don't know what's going to happen next! You fix one thing and another thing breaks!

Decent gas mileage. That's about it.

Fix the overheating issues! Reliability. More power, almost got killed on the highway once because it wouldn't accelerate fast enough.

Worst choice of my life
By disturbedchic

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a '95 Cavalier to replace what I thought was an ailing car I should've kept. In the 7 months I've owned the car it's had mechanical problems 6 times. First day I got it found out something was wrong with the transmission which would make it freeze up and not switch gears when it warmed up. The water pump busted and I went through 4 jugs of antifreeze before it could get fixed, transmission started to go, car would max out at 50, back door popped right open one day around a turn, and just recently it would take a city block to get it to 30mph and the whole exhaust system nearly touches the ground while the converter looks ready to blow.

Good space on the interior and looks sharp on the outside, gas mileage decent.

Unless mine was a fluke or a bad year build a better car overall with reliable trans and more accessible parts under the hood (spark plugs horrid to change). Needs smoother ride and more comfy seats. Engine needs more power.

Head Gaskets-Bad
By Sandy

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car went trough its first set of head gaskets under 12,000 miles, then again in the 20,000's. These first two times it was under warrenty. But it went again, this time I had to pay. It is not cheap. You think Chevy would have recalled or taken care of this problem. I was not the only one. So can you guess what this car needs now again for the 4th time? Yes, head gaskets again... So you know that this time I will not buy a Chevy again. They just don't take care of their customers. Time to buy a Honda Civic.

It was great in winter snow, handled fine and started in the cold. Had great gas mileage for an inexpensive auto.

Head gasket, brakes, crash test results, and owner loyality reviews.

Not a bad little car
By Not a bad car

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well I bought the car in 1999 and it had around 50,000 miles on it. Around a month or two later the A/C compressor started grinding and was covered by warranty. Next after it was payed for the head gasket blew which was around $700.00 to fix which was a bargain considering the work. I still own the car that is the extent of the work that has been done on the car besides regular maintenance. Well last month i had my A/c recharged at that time the whole system was checked for any leaks and it was approved. Over all i'm satisfied with this car now it has just peaked at 100,000 miles and still running strong.

Styling, Fuel economy, Price, Reliability

the only complaint is that the interior panels crack and i personally take care of the car I guess its a design flaw.