1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great Car considering its cost:
By Steve on 05/06/10 10:13 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Ok I've read enough about the negatives of this car. 5/2010 mine is 15 yrs old has 162K miles & other than mostly normal wear/tear/maintenance like oil, tires, anti-freeze, battery, brakes, belts, hoses, trans flush, plugs/wires, fuel filter, light bulbs its a great value for what it cost. I get mpg around 20 city/30 highway. A few "Out of the norm repairs", AC compressor, Rack-n-Pinion steering, power window motors, one wheel bearing, broken side mirror. Honestly other than a few cracks in the plastic trim, worn seat belts & a little hesitation in acceleration from age this has been a joy to own.

Horrible, horrible vehicle
By me2000 on 02/22/09 14:38 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but problems with this car. The water pump went out, the head gasket is currently leaking so I have to keep putting coolant in ($10 per bottle adds up!), continuously having to replace the brakes every year, electrical problems. I have stalled three times because of this crappy car. It's rusting beneath the gas cap. Overheats all the time. I can't even put the AC on or it'll overheat. Do not buy this car. It's a money pit. I'm getting a new car in two weeks because I cannot take it anymore. I absolutely dread going into this car every time I drive it. You don't know what's going to happen next! You fix one thing and another thing breaks!

Worst choice of my life
By disturbedchic on 04/05/05 01:34 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a '95 Cavalier to replace what I thought was an ailing car I should've kept. In the 7 months I've owned the car it's had mechanical problems 6 times. First day I got it found out something was wrong with the transmission which would make it freeze up and not switch gears when it warmed up. The water pump busted and I went through 4 jugs of antifreeze before it could get fixed, transmission started to go, car would max out at 50, back door popped right open one day around a turn, and just recently it would take a city block to get it to 30mph and the whole exhaust system nearly touches the ground while the converter looks ready to blow.

Head Gaskets-Bad
By Sandy on 01/13/05 13:13 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car went trough its first set of head gaskets under 12,000 miles, then again in the 20,000's. These first two times it was under warrenty. But it went again, this time I had to pay. It is not cheap. You think Chevy would have recalled or taken care of this problem. I was not the only one. So can you guess what this car needs now again for the 4th time? Yes, head gaskets again... So you know that this time I will not buy a Chevy again. They just don't take care of their customers. Time to buy a Honda Civic.

Not a bad little car
By Not a bad car on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well I bought the car in 1999 and it had around 50,000 miles on it. Around a month or two later the A/C compressor started grinding and was covered by warranty. Next after it was payed for the head gasket blew which was around $700.00 to fix which was a bargain considering the work. I still own the car that is the extent of the work that has been done on the car besides regular maintenance. Well last month i had my A/c recharged at that time the whole system was checked for any leaks and it was approved. Over all i'm satisfied with this car now it has just peaked at 100,000 miles and still running strong.

Good for the money
By kmant on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Cavalier used with 57,000 miles on it. I had to replace the pulley on the a/c and the rear strut mount right away. I noticed it started leaking oil around 110,000 miles. I replaced the head gasket one weekend around 115,000 miles. There is rust on the bottom of the front and rear door on the passenger side. Had to replace the spark packs at 135,000 miles. There is a low humming noise when I turn left. I have 138,000 miles on it and that 2.2 still runs strong. No oil burning. Other than the above mentioned, the car always starts. For the money it is a good car and I would buy another.

My great little cavi
By venusL13 on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used and have owned it myself for almost 5 years. This car has been nothing but wonderful. Repairs have been few and all milage appropriate. The car handles beautifully and is fantastic in the snow. The car has over 100,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I would highly recommend this car.

Not too Bad...
By Grayce on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. I have put a LOT of miles on it(158 000). I like the way it looks, inside and out. We have changed the head gasket twice, replaced gas tank/lines and had many! brake jobs. It's also had a really bad problem with rust around the bottom of the doors and on the hood (rusted right through).It is near the end of it's useful life now and I will replace it soon. I'm not sure if I will buy another Cavalier though. Upkeep has been expensive, but it has always started (even in the coldest weather) and never left me stranded.

what a surprise!
By thewrightstuff on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I took this car over from my mother when i moved to the area in 1999. i drive it hard because i live 50 miles from work, plus regular driving from place to place. this car has been reliable and beautiful! it looks brand new when washed, 7 yrs later, what a nice finish! as an ARCHITECTURAL interior designer, i would make improvements to the interior, but as a vehicle it's been great and efficient. my mother bought the car used and someone had switched radios. it works but is a pain to figure out and there's no documentation on it. the clock is always off.

Time to Give Up MY BABY!!!!
By Overall Happy Owner on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

OK, my Cavalier and I have been through alot of events. My kids becoming teenagers, three 1500 miles trips out of state, one marriage, some repairs, and my twenty-some-things. Anyway, I have drove my Cavalier for about 8 years. She has at times cost me money but, never more than $500.00. Transmission still runs, you will fix breaks alot, has started up mornings for years (except for those repair times), and BEST FEATURE.....MY BABY has 184,000 miles and still running. In early 2004, I will retire her but, not to get rid of her. In two years, my son will be at the age to drive....and guess what he will be driving!!! Thanks, for reading.