Used 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

It's dead
By Guano2

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

With 129,600 miles on the clock my little Cavy bit the dust. For 9 years it was reliable and never stranded me until the end. Valve spring broke in 3 places and bent and dropped the valve into the #2cyl.-wrecking the piston. The sound it made was about as horrific as my desciption. $2500 new engine on an $1100 car? Nope. I will miss it. If only I had a garage & a junk car engine, I would keep it.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, insurance costs, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Not a fun car. Manual trans helps but not much. Come out with a new platform more than once every 20 years.

Great Car
By Happy_Happy

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

Purchased used @ 73000 miles in 1999. Routine maintenance and some repair. 3.1V6 and auto trans. had 189000 miles on it and still reliable and strong. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Cheap to fix, low price, reasonable performance for its price.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat room is a little cramped when front seats are all the way back

GREAT economical Car
By CeaCea

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

Got mine new 10yrs ago. Until recently, w/ 57000 miles onm it I have never had any problems. Like others, my alternator just recently had to be replaced, but besides that it has been minimal maintence problems. It's a true value for the money. Only now do I realize what GREAT gas mileage I've been getting, esp compared to cars now! (What happened!?) The '94 has a great, cute style, love my bright blue color and is roomy, compared to the newer Cavs. The downside if you work on your cars or have others do,gen maintenance (oil changes...) is difficult to do on your own w/ the way they have things situated.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior apperance, cupholders, gas mileage & Economically soundness.

Suggested Improvements

Improve: Cheap glovebox door, HEAVY doors... and even better gas mileage would be nice...but that's it!

Long lasting & inexpensive to own
By Guano

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new 8 years ago. It is very reliable and when minor things have broken (Alt.,waterpump,blinker switch)parts are very cheap. Knock on wood, it has never stranded me in 116,000 miles. Take care of these cars and they take care of you. No leaks and doesn't burn oil. My wife's New Beetle has cost more to fix and burns oil w/only 40,000 miles. Very easy to work on. Done all work myself except for Struts. Gaps in body panels are off, structural integrity is wobbley, dash bounces on semi rough roads since day one. If you want a good, cheap to buy and mantain car that will last a long, long time, buy this one!

Favorite Features

Best value for dlr. in '94. Comfy int., better than Gen III Cav's. ABS. Road feel. Sporty ext. MPG. Highest 43mpg. Lowest 25mpg. Strong 2.2/4 engine. Get the man. tranny! Std features aplenty. Replaced frt brks at 67k. Life long rears. Simple design=easy fix. No timing belt.

Suggested Improvements

Orig. shocks/struts wallow & handle poorly. Fewer rattles. Make Michelins Std. 3 of 4 of orig. Generals warped within 32000 miles. Bring back the V6!

Solid basic transportation
By Bob Oh

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

Bought new, it has served me well. 5 speed manual coupe. Replaced 2 alternators, 1 water pump, 1 set of brakes, i wiper motor, 1 battery. Normal stuff (except alternator..Grrr) Good looking, easy to maintain. 77000 miles. Enjoyed all of them. Excellent value for the bux.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission, good gas mileage, VERY low maintenance schedule. This thing just KEEPS running!

Suggested Improvements

Door prop broke off, and the driver's door won't stay open when entering or exiting. Coupe doors are large & heavy too... Keeps swinging shut.