Used 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Unbelievable
By gmman

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 6 years. Of the 15 cars I've owned over 20 years, this has been the most reliable, best investment I ever made. I was skeptical at first, but it has proven itself. I bought it with 113K miles and it now has 186K miles. I've had very few, minor problems with it and until this week, the A/C froze me out on the hottest Florida days. Believe the compressor is still good; hopefully just a leak.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with 5 speed. Every option, making it comfortable. Sporty styling.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power. With A/C on, it gets off the line fairly slowly. Power seats would be nice

Few problems with proper matenance
By pacofish

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I am a Mechanic. I have had this car since it was new I have to do almost notinig to keep this car running. This car gets a fast pass from the emissions test.

Favorite Features

Reliable and passes the emissions test.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the station wagon body was purchased.

I hated my wife's car
By mlittrell

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This car came with my wife. She loved it and I hated this car with every fiber of my being. It was uncomfortable, it couldn't get out of it's own way, and felt like it would tip over at every corner. The good thing is that there weren't any options to break. It was pretty reliable, except for the yearly recharge of the freon, the replacement of the master cylinder, and the alternator. For a GM vehicle with almost 80k mi, I would say that that wasn't bad. It still looked pretty good when we sold it, but my father in law and I are very good about keeping our cars up. I wasn't surprised that the dealerships really didn't want it as a trade in.

Favorite Features

well, I guess the paint, because it didn't flake off or fade and it got pretty good gas mileage, but that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

better shocks, tires, brakes, transmission, engine, seats and any anti sway bars, ...but not much else

Stout little ride
By Marc99GT

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I have owned 3 Cavaliers and my wife has owned 2. The 92 that I'm currently driving has been extremely reliable. I needed a 2nd car and this one has been great. My est. repair costs might have been around $500 or less in the last 3 years. I drove the car to school in Florida and got over 34 mpg with 2 other guys and luggage in the vehicle. The car currently has 121K and still runs strong.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy & smooth

Suggested Improvements

Little more power, less plastic, & rear discs.

The Little Cav That Could
By CAVMAN

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new in college in 1991. Have done almost all the maintainance myself, mainly oil, filters and brakes. Always use a good synthetic oil and good filter. KN air filter and always replaced parts with ones that have lifetime warranty's. Have replaced alternator, tensioner, power steering pump, hoses, heater core x 2, radiator, plugs and wires. The thing just keeps running and with 223,000 miles on it, I could see it easily going for another 100,000- 150,000. If you don't care to look great going to work, it will get you there just as good as a new vehicle. Very easy to work on also.

Favorite Features

Low maintainance, good gas mileage and handles real well.

Suggested Improvements

None for the price we bought it for and the low cost of maintainance.