Used 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sold it as quickly as I could
By joe billyhill

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

In 1998 I saw a used 1992 Z24 for $10K w/15K miles on it. I figured it would be a deal. I got it at a dealership and an extended warranty with it. The problems started immediately with the heater core going out. When changing the oil antifreeze was present so they changed the head gasket, That didn't work so they replaced the water pump. It started blowing water through the head gasket so they took it apart, told me they determined the head was warped and placed the blame on me. I called the service manager on the carpet for than but got nowhere. The 3.1 V6 is notoriously a pig and underpowered as well as having coolant problems. 3rd gear went out in the auto trans. What a jalopy.

Favorite Features

Color - plain white The body style with ground effects was cool Front seats were comfortable

Suggested Improvements

The 3.1 motor should never have been engineered and fit into this car. The car was heavy and slow. Performance was embarrassing when compared to my 1987 Z24 w/2.8 V6.

Vehice Is Great :)
By Z24

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This 1992 Cavalier Z24, has been a very fast, fun, and comfortable vehicle to have. I have had it since I was 16, and am now 21. I bought it from my dad, on my 16th Birthday. Took it out, and wrecked it, then he repaired it for me. Ever since then, I have never had any other type of accident with this car. It has always started the whole 5 years I have had it. My friends at school, always wanted to ride in it, because it looked to cool. It's been a great car.

Favorite Features

The 3.1L V6 Engine. Its very quick, and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

The center armrest, has been loose in all 5 Cavaliers I have owned. Strictly cavaliers for me. :) they are reliable

Unbelievable
By gmman

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 6 years. Of the 15 cars I've owned over 20 years, this has been the most reliable, best investment I ever made. I was skeptical at first, but it has proven itself. I bought it with 113K miles and it now has 186K miles. I've had very few, minor problems with it and until this week, the A/C froze me out on the hottest Florida days. Believe the compressor is still good; hopefully just a leak.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with 5 speed. Every option, making it comfortable. Sporty styling.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power. With A/C on, it gets off the line fairly slowly. Power seats would be nice

Few problems with proper matenance
By pacofish

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I am a Mechanic. I have had this car since it was new I have to do almost notinig to keep this car running. This car gets a fast pass from the emissions test.

Favorite Features

Reliable and passes the emissions test.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the station wagon body was purchased.

It's been 7 years...
By monza305

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for seven years, this should be the last winter before I get a new car this spring. Looking back I think I'll probably miss it. It has decent power, especially with the manual trans. It can be fun to drive too. But I've had problems too. The motor started knocking at 100,000. (I know it's not an uncommon problem for all GM 3.1 in the first couple years.) I also blew a head gasket (on the new motor). Other than that, it's been a good car.

Favorite Features

Decent acceleration. Definately not the fastest car around, but it get you where you need to go.