1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Sold it as quickly as I could
By joe billyhill on 06/13/10 13:42 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

In 1998 I saw a used 1992 Z24 for $10K w/15K miles on it. I figured it would be a deal. I got it at a dealership and an extended warranty with it. The problems started immediately with the heater core going out. When changing the oil antifreeze was present so they changed the head gasket, That didn't work so they replaced the water pump. It started blowing water through the head gasket so they took it apart, told me they determined the head was warped and placed the blame on me. I called the service manager on the carpet for than but got nowhere. The 3.1 V6 is notoriously a pig and underpowered as well as having coolant problems. 3rd gear went out in the auto trans. What a jalopy.

Vehice Is Great :)
By Z24 on 11/29/05 19:16 PM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This 1992 Cavalier Z24, has been a very fast, fun, and comfortable vehicle to have. I have had it since I was 16, and am now 21. I bought it from my dad, on my 16th Birthday. Took it out, and wrecked it, then he repaired it for me. Ever since then, I have never had any other type of accident with this car. It has always started the whole 5 years I have had it. My friends at school, always wanted to ride in it, because it looked to cool. It's been a great car.

Unbelievable
By gmman on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 6 years. Of the 15 cars I've owned over 20 years, this has been the most reliable, best investment I ever made. I was skeptical at first, but it has proven itself. I bought it with 113K miles and it now has 186K miles. I've had very few, minor problems with it and until this week, the A/C froze me out on the hottest Florida days. Believe the compressor is still good; hopefully just a leak.

Few problems with proper matenance
By pacofish on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I am a Mechanic. I have had this car since it was new I have to do almost notinig to keep this car running. This car gets a fast pass from the emissions test.

It's been 7 years...
By monza305 on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for seven years, this should be the last winter before I get a new car this spring. Looking back I think I'll probably miss it. It has decent power, especially with the manual trans. It can be fun to drive too. But I've had problems too. The motor started knocking at 100,000. (I know it's not an uncommon problem for all GM 3.1 in the first couple years.) I also blew a head gasket (on the new motor). Other than that, it's been a good car.

I hated my wife's car
By mlittrell on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This car came with my wife. She loved it and I hated this car with every fiber of my being. It was uncomfortable, it couldn't get out of it's own way, and felt like it would tip over at every corner. The good thing is that there weren't any options to break. It was pretty reliable, except for the yearly recharge of the freon, the replacement of the master cylinder, and the alternator. For a GM vehicle with almost 80k mi, I would say that that wasn't bad. It still looked pretty good when we sold it, but my father in law and I are very good about keeping our cars up. I wasn't surprised that the dealerships really didn't want it as a trade in.

Nice Car
By Newf on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

My car (1992 Z24)has 220000K on it and the engine does not miss a beat. I have recently ran into troubles with the water pump and belt tensioner (while on vacation) but I feel confident saying that the motor will last forever. I really like the look and feel of this car and enjoy leaving my friends behind on the highway (In their 2000-2003 caviliers and sunfires)

Kick But Car
By CavalierZ24 on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love my Z24 since ive had it i haven't lost a single race

Mixed thoughts
By NATO on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe VL 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car not only for my commute to school but also I thought it would be a nice car to tune up. In the commuting respect it has fulfilled its duty.In regards to its performance, I'm disappointed. I understand it's not a Porsche but I was expecting it to be quicker than it is. It feels sluggish and I constantly have the feeling that something is holding it back. Even after installing a few performance parts (K&N air filter, etc) it still feels underpowered. If you are looking for a car to tune, don't buy this! If you want a generic, low fun factor commuting car, this is the one for you.

Stout little ride
By Marc99GT on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I have owned 3 Cavaliers and my wife has owned 2. The 92 that I'm currently driving has been extremely reliable. I needed a 2nd car and this one has been great. My est. repair costs might have been around $500 or less in the last 3 years. I drove the car to school in Florida and got over 34 mpg with 2 other guys and luggage in the vehicle. The car currently has 121K and still runs strong.