1992 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Sold it as quickly as I could
By joe billyhill on 06/13/10 13:42 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

In 1998 I saw a used 1992 Z24 for $10K w/15K miles on it. I figured it would be a deal. I got it at a dealership and an extended warranty with it. The problems started immediately with the heater core going out. When changing the oil antifreeze was present so they changed the head gasket, That didn't work so they replaced the water pump. It started blowing water through the head gasket so they took it apart, told me they determined the head was warped and placed the blame on me. I called the service manager on the carpet for than but got nowhere. The 3.1 V6 is notoriously a pig and underpowered as well as having coolant problems. 3rd gear went out in the auto trans. What a jalopy.

Very dependable
By Rgrimes on 10/06/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4dr Sedan

Car has 246,000 miles with no major issues except for normal maintence like tune ups and tires. Still runs like new and had no problem going through the sniffer.

Great Car
By Malisha on 08/05/06 18:00 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 4dr Sedan

Car was bought with 158,000 by my dad, for my first car! Car got me where ever I needed to go, when ever I needed to go. Never hesitated to start, even in the winter. Heater stinks though. On high, warm air drifted out of the car. I had to let it warm up in the winter for about 30 minutes. Car was extremely rusted, but never failed to get me where I wanted. I now own a '96 Neon, and I was more impressed with my Cavalier. It was faster, and ten times more reliable.

Vehice Is Great :)
By Z24 on 11/29/05 19:16 PM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This 1992 Cavalier Z24, has been a very fast, fun, and comfortable vehicle to have. I have had it since I was 16, and am now 21. I bought it from my dad, on my 16th Birthday. Took it out, and wrecked it, then he repaired it for me. Ever since then, I have never had any other type of accident with this car. It has always started the whole 5 years I have had it. My friends at school, always wanted to ride in it, because it looked to cool. It's been a great car.

92 Cavalier RS 4 door
By clinton lallathin on 08/06/05 23:23 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4dr Sedan

It's fun to drive, safe and reliable. I have had no major problems with my car at all.

I'm gonna miss you ol'girl
By GM Girl on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since we bought it new. She doesn't owe us a nickel! With 188K miles on it, my husband still takes her out on roadtrips over 400 miles one way. He travelled from Philly to Cle on a single tank of gas. He has driven this car very hard over the years and she still just zips right along. Now that he has a new truck, I'm left choosing between the 96 Saturn with 120K miles or or my old faithful girl. Guess which one I'd choose?? But with my luck, the day I sell the Saturn and all its troubles, my cav will give up the ghost! This is our 2nd Cav, and I'd buy another if I didn't have 2 growing kids.

Unbelievable
By gmman on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 6 years. Of the 15 cars I've owned over 20 years, this has been the most reliable, best investment I ever made. I was skeptical at first, but it has proven itself. I bought it with 113K miles and it now has 186K miles. I've had very few, minor problems with it and until this week, the A/C froze me out on the hottest Florida days. Believe the compressor is still good; hopefully just a leak.

Few problems with proper matenance
By pacofish on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I am a Mechanic. I have had this car since it was new I have to do almost notinig to keep this car running. This car gets a fast pass from the emissions test.

Very Dependable Wagon
By loyalcavyowner on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4dr Wagon

The car was in the family since 94 and has been reliable for us the entire time. The 3.1 V6 is a powerful engine for this class of car. It has 140K and the only major problems were an alterator and a power steering unit replacement. The only trouble im having with it now is a transmission fluid leak but it still shifts flawlessly. The interior has a few broken pieces as well. Also ther is some surface rust showing up. I definitely recommend this car for those who like a dependable car with lots of people/cargo room. Also, try to find one with a V6.

It's been 7 years...
By monza305 on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for seven years, this should be the last winter before I get a new car this spring. Looking back I think I'll probably miss it. It has decent power, especially with the manual trans. It can be fun to drive too. But I've had problems too. The motor started knocking at 100,000. (I know it's not an uncommon problem for all GM 3.1 in the first couple years.) I also blew a head gasket (on the new motor). Other than that, it's been a good car.