Used 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

great car
By kody70

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

My parents bought a 1991 Cavalier RS 2- door coupe 3-speed automatic a few years back and when I got my license, I was able to take it over. It's been a very reliable car, with only normal maintenance, like brakes. The only other issue was a sway bar link. It might not be the fastest car out there, but it's extremely reliable and gets from A to B with no problems. I even hit a deer and the car didn't get damaged at all.

Favorite Features

The interior design, steering wheel, and wing style.

Suggested Improvements

Too boxy on the exterior design, a little more power would be nice (95 hp stock)

Oh How I Wish I Had Kept This Car
By R Carter

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe VL 2dr Coupe

I bought my '91 Cavalier-VL in 1991 and regretfully traded it in 2002 for something with less mileage. It had over 186000 miles on it when I traded it. It ran like a champ. Total repair costs for the 11 yrs I had it was probably not over $1000 I bet if even that much. Absolutely the best car I have ever had and wish to this day (in 2009)I still had it.

Favorite Features

Just plain fun! Handled like a champ in snow-never once fishtailed. Handled great on any road. And it felt safe.

Suggested Improvements

Center console came loose on driver's side after about 8 years.

Quick and Agile
By WAStateChevy

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This car with the 3.1 V6 is very fun to drive. Munce transmission is very durable and responsive. The sound is great from the 3.1. I drove the heck out of it and I love it more than any car I have owned even though it is the oldest car I own.

Favorite Features

Strut bar over motor and heavy duty sway bars make it very agile with a tight ride. Short shifter makes for very fast gear selection. Very light for a bigger Cavalier model: 2500 lbs. approx.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical and computer systems have had many problems along with the heater core and water pump. Electronic Spark Control under the coils stinks to replace. Chevy stopped using this 3.1, I'm guessing, because it leaves no spare room under hood and all engine repairs take much patience.

Super Reliable
By AMF

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I ordered this car in late 90. I had problems with hub bearing, starter and heater core much later in life. Changed oil every 3K with 0W-30 year round. Engine never leaked or burned any oil. Motor ran strong up to 120,000 miles when I sold it to friend. Last I heard it was still running and owner was impressed with performance. The car was driven hard at times but just kept on going. If you can find one that has been well maintained I would say it is a good bet. It was the first new car I ever owned so I felt the fluid changes were important. With high miles the motor ran like new and didn't miss a beat. Original muffler and cat converter replaced at 112K. Check oil change records!

Favorite Features

CD player, 3.1 Engine

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel disc ABS, a few more horsepower and torque.

Excellent Car!!
By mar-tone

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe VL 2dr Coupe

This was my 1st new car purchase and the best $10,400 I ever spent! After 13+ years and 129,000 miles I've gone through 2 exhaust systems, 2 starters, a head gasket, 3 brake jobs, and one water pump. But STILL a VERY dependable car year 'round. Still handles good, good mileage. Not the fastest or shiniest car on the block - but I own it. NO car payment, low taxes and STILL dependable transportation to work. "Trade in value"?...who needs it! Chevrolet made a winner here!!!

Favorite Features

Dependability, surprisingly BIG trunk, love that 5 speed manual!

Suggested Improvements

Could sacrifice some of the trunk space for the back seat(too small). Raise the nose off of the raod - front paint susceptible to rocks/dirt flying up.