Used 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fix or Repair Daily Chevrolet
By david augenstene

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 1999 with 55000 miles on it. And I kept it for 10 years.
This vehicle had the 3.1 V6 and it was quick. It had constant little nagging repair issues. I replaced the gas tank twice (I did drive it in the snow.) The controls were more suited for females, too compact especially on the left side. The tilt wheel broke, the seats had problems. I had a transmission problem that caused it to stall all the time. The ignition module failed within a couple months of buying it.
I got rear-ended in it in a chain reaction crash and that had a delayed reaction of the tilt wheel breaking and the seat mounts failing and probably at the end the seat control failing within the next five years. While I was looking to trade it in sometime drilled it with grocery cart and took out a rear light.
If you see an RS V6 for sale like a restored or well kept convertible, it would be a nice ride with good gas mileage. It got as good gas mileage as many four bangers I've owned ( in the range of 22-24mpg in mixed city/highway driving) plus it was fast, a nice sound to that 3.1 winding out.

great car
By kody70

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

My parents bought a 1991 Cavalier RS 2- door coupe 3-speed automatic a few years back and when I got my license, I was able to take it over. It's been a very reliable car, with only normal maintenance, like brakes. The only other issue was a sway bar link. It might not be the fastest car out there, but it's extremely reliable and gets from A to B with no problems. I even hit a deer and the car didn't get damaged at all.

The interior design, steering wheel, and wing style.

Too boxy on the exterior design, a little more power would be nice (95 hp stock)

Fun little car
By squidjuice

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Convertible

All I can say is shes 18yrs old and still loved. never thought I would say that about a cavalier! awesome car fun and reliable still babied and in the garage with 3 coats of glaze still original paint and Still looks show room! 2 more years and she a antique these are great fun economy cars

Glossy RED PAINT AND CONVERTIBLE

They ruined them when they changed the body style

Oh How I Wish I Had Kept This Car
By R Carter

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2dr Coupe

I bought my '91 Cavalier-VL in 1991 and regretfully traded it in 2002 for something with less mileage. It had over 186000 miles on it when I traded it. It ran like a champ. Total repair costs for the 11 yrs I had it was probably not over $1000 I bet if even that much. Absolutely the best car I have ever had and wish to this day (in 2009)I still had it.

Just plain fun! Handled like a champ in snow-never once fishtailed. Handled great on any road. And it felt safe.

Center console came loose on driver's side after about 8 years.

Quick and Agile
By WAStateChevy

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This car with the 3.1 V6 is very fun to drive. Munce transmission is very durable and responsive. The sound is great from the 3.1. I drove the heck out of it and I love it more than any car I have owned even though it is the oldest car I own.

Strut bar over motor and heavy duty sway bars make it very agile with a tight ride. Short shifter makes for very fast gear selection. Very light for a bigger Cavalier model: 2500 lbs. approx.

Electrical and computer systems have had many problems along with the heater core and water pump. Electronic Spark Control under the coils stinks to replace. Chevy stopped using this 3.1, I'm guessing, because it leaves no spare room under hood and all engine repairs take much patience.