Used 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Best first car EVER
By Jen

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

It's the best car I could imagine for a first car. It's fun, and pretty economical, great for A to B driving, and as reliable as anything. The only damage to my car is my fault, and even after rolling off the road and down a hill there was practically no damage at all! IT'S A TANK! But runs like any sporty little coupe you can find. The fuel economy says 20-26 but I actually get around 28, living and driving on back roads mostly, and highway. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. But anyways, it may not be the sexiest beast around, but it's just as good if not better than one. I wish they still made them, if you ever find one and someone you know needs a great reliable and durable car-get it.

Favorite Features

Durability, reliability, ease to repair, too much to think of.

Suggested Improvements

Weird tire size, they can be hard to find sometimes (I went to a well stocked garage once and they only had one in stock at a time) other than that nothing.

Awesome car!
By Bibblebop

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

For a car to from point A to B, this car has been great. Twenty years old and still running awesome. I have 95k on it and picked it up 4 years ago with 54k. Its cheap to buy parts for and runs forever. This is my second Cavalier and a true fan. Look around, you still see old Cavaliers everywhere. Thats tells a story on the quality these little cars are known for.

Favorite Features

Cheap to buy replacement parts.

Suggested Improvements

None. If I wanted a nicer car, I would purchase a more expensive car.

Chevy
By Joel

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 4dr Wagon

It's not fast but gas mileage is probably even better than it should be. Bought car private party from original owner. 36k original miles! A lot of plastic in the interior but it's not supposed to be a luxury car. This Chevy handles well and I would recommend it for anyone with a piggybank and a drivers license.

Favorite Features

Cheap, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic more power from 4 cyl. I would prefer rear wheel drive.

Cavalier wagon a trooper
By juniorgriff

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 4dr Wagon

I have owned 17 cars since i have got my licence in '88 and all of them do not compare to this super trooper. I don't think they put too many 6 cylinders. in the wagons, but it is a great engine. Check this... 325,000 kms. AMAZING!! Forget Camrys and Accords. This car will not stop! I am not regular with the oil changes and tune- ups, and I drove it twice to Vancouver from Calgary, and once to Toronto and back! Sure, the paint is faded and there is a little rust around the wheel wells, but I am proud to tell people this old dog is still kicking. The only major thing I have done is brakes, tires and right side ball joint. If this car makes it to 375,000 I am going to write a letter to GM. Great job boys!

Favorite Features

Still very peppy and fairly comfortable for a big guy!

Suggested Improvements

Never stop making the 3.1 engine!

Great car
By John Bierman

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Great little car, bought for my father when he was commuting 600-700 miles a week for less than $1000 from local GM dealer. Only work needed was a new battery and a new starter (althouth replacing just the solenoid probably would have fixed it as well). Love the styling on it, comfortable seats, good gas mileage (25 mpg or so in town, 30+ on the highway). Always as dependable as any car I've had (although my old Datsun 210 wagon was pretty good too), with terrific ground clearance (a big help for getting through the snow where I live). Solid machine I'd recommend to anyone needing good, cheap transportation!

Favorite Features

Easy engine to work on though it hasn't required much of any work, ground clearance better than many SUVs, all-around nice balance and solid feel. The interior light that stays on until you've started the car is handy, too.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of, but it's a little late to suggest improvements for a car made in 1990, isn't it?