Used 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

End of the Big Rear Wheel Drive Cars
By mrleibel

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car second hand from an older couple. I put limited miles on it as I store the vehicle during the winters. I have the LT1 which is an awesome motor for power, towing, and economy. I can easily average 26 mpg. When pulling my 2100lb camper, I average 17 mpg cruising at 70mph; hard to beat that with an SUV. The ride is quiet and smooth; the leather seats are comfortable for long rides and I really enjoy the simple dashboard layout. The trunk size is great as well. I have never had a space shortage problem. Overall, the Caprice is quite the car; its very versitile and a wolf in a sheep's skin.

LT1, Posi-traction, ride comfort, dependability, and towing capacity.

Bring the rear-wheel drive Caprice back to the States!!!

Tell me again why GM discontinued these?
By Z28_Sedan

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have the 5.7L LT1 engine in mine. It's a very fast car with smooth-as- silk ride. The odd thing is that it gets 25 mpg even with the performance axle ratio (that's the EPA highway rating too). I know other owners getting 27 mpg. It's funny that Chrysler's new Hemi (same size as the LT1: 5.7L) in the 300C/Magnum (a similar curb weight according to Edmunds) is rated at the same gas mileage (25 mpg highway) even though the Hemi is 10 years newer in design and even uses cylinder deactivation.

5.7L LT1 Corvette engine. Incomparably roomy interior. Full-size spare. Heavy-duty transmission. Rear-wheel drive. Roomy engine bay (easy maintenance) Dual exhaust on LT1 engine. 87 Octane is recommended fuel grade. Cheap to insure

It would have been nice if they had made them at least 3-4 more years. They'd probably have gotten the LS1 engine and traction control. The interior was a bit out of date even for its day. By today's standards it's downright boring looking.

ex-Police LT1 off eBay
By Anonymous Coward

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

Shopping for a second car in 2000 I started on Edmunds.com and selected a couple high-value models (good ratings and low price). Then I went to eBay and started bidding - won a '96 Caprice. Fresh out of service with the Saginaw MI PD it has the LT1 and heavy duty everything. Got it with 75,000 on the clock. So far I've put a new A/C unit, replaced two front suspension components and put on new Michelins. It uses no oil and has had zero drivetrain issues. Now at 120,000 miles.

Dual spotlights and police wheels means never being a victim of road rage but other cars, afraid to pass, do tend to bunch up behind you and in your blind spot.

Rubber floors should be an option on all sedans. I fear no spills.

Good Big and Fast
By kph

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

As the original owner for seven years I find that the 1996 Caprice Classic provides a very comfortable ride, is very good in a crash, has good acceleration, a great turn radius and responds well. It's big and roomy. Electrical system is poor, prone to alternator failure and the body trim deteriorates, some strip[s have been replaced twice.

Interior size and comfort

No longer in production

the best i ever owned
By caprise 1

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

my dad got this one when it was new. he drove it for a number of years and loved it, i got it from him about a yr and a have ago ..since then i have put a stagering 60.000 mi on my chevy. and let me tell you it is the best!!! verry little prob since i got it,the only thing i had to do was to change the alt appart from oil change and tires. last sumer we took a vacation to Fla, i got 32 mpg belive it or not. i got a 4.3 v8 in it you would sware it was a 5.7..... if i had to put any thing that might be bad would have to be that i cant get a 2003 ,,,, why would chevy stop making them?????????

Room Room Room i have 4 kids and room to spare ,,,allso reliable....

bring them ((((((((BACK))))))) chevy you hear me?

• SUV