Used 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan

Base 4.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

1996 Chevy Caprice 4.3
By qshoulders

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 96 Chevy Caprice for 3 years, I bought it with only 23,000 miles of it. As of right now it has 44,000 miles on it. The performance is great the ride is very smooth and comftontable. I have plans to own this car forever, and if someone have the opportunity to own one it would be a great buy. I drive it from FL to Miss every summer and it have been great to me on my road trips.

Favorite Features

The digital dash!

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Great older car
By retirednak

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 3rd Caprice. This car has 30000 miles. Just did 3000 mile road trip to Alaska with no problems. Best MPG was 26 mpg at 60-65 mph. Worst mpg was 17mpg at 8-100mph. Too Bad GM doesn't make a full size rear drive car anymore.

Favorite Features

LT1 V8 and full size comfort

Suggested Improvements

Make full size rear drive again and get 25-26mpg!

The Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Mr Moose from Maine

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm a police officer in ME with prior sevice in MA. I never drove a Chevy cruiser until I went to ME. Wow, what a difference from the Ford's! I was so impressed I ordered a 9C1 Caprice in 07/96 and had to go back to MA to do it. This car is fantastic. It rockets off the line, corners like it's on rails, and gets 20mpg on the highway. The only problem I had was the crappy Goodyear Eagle RSA tires which were replaced. I love this car. I only drive it in the summer now, and am going to give it to my daughter as her first car, and the Cops can chase her around. Why GM discontinued the Caprice/Impala SS is beyond me. This car is a true classic and will be a collectors car I'm sure.

Favorite Features

LT-1 power, great suspension and handling. Plenty of room, great gas mileage. The last of the full size rear wheel drive GM's

Suggested Improvements

Have GM bring the Caprice back!

Great Car But Expensive to Repair
By 1996 Chevrolet Capri

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great Car...great respect because it looks like a police cruiser. Very expensive to repair. I have spent about $2000 in the last 2 months on repairs. It has 209,000 miles. I hope I can get 300,000. It is one of the best I have owned. I have had it since 72,000 miles about 4 years ago. Now I do a lot of highway driving and hope I can keep it.

Favorite Features

The look of a police car. Comfort and safety is worth paying the repair bills.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love the Caprice
By tony

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have used the Caprices in my Funeral Escort business for over eight years and they have performed beautifully for us. The vehicle is almost undestructable. It is heavy duty all the way around and you can always count on it. If you perform the routine maintainence and change filters etc I believe the car will last for 400,000 mile or more and I have seen Caprices with that mileage on them. I think it was GM's best made vehicle.

Favorite Features

I like the room and the instant power.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality cloth seats and carpet to last along with the car.