1996 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caprice model:
1996 Chevy Caprice 4.3
By qshoulders on 04/11/12 07:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 96 Chevy Caprice for 3 years, I bought it with only 23,000 miles of it. As of right now it has 44,000 miles on it. The performance is great the ride is very smooth and comftontable. I have plans to own this car forever, and if someone have the opportunity to own one it would be a great buy. I drive it from FL to Miss every summer and it have been great to me on my road trips.

Great older car
By retirednak on 05/15/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

My 3rd Caprice. This car has 30000 miles. Just did 3000 mile road trip to Alaska with no problems. Best MPG was 26 mpg at 60-65 mph. Worst mpg was 17mpg at 8-100mph. Too Bad GM doesn't make a full size rear drive car anymore.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Mr Moose from Maine on 10/21/06 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I'm a police officer in ME with prior sevice in MA. I never drove a Chevy cruiser until I went to ME. Wow, what a difference from the Ford's! I was so impressed I ordered a 9C1 Caprice in 07/96 and had to go back to MA to do it. This car is fantastic. It rockets off the line, corners like it's on rails, and gets 20mpg on the highway. The only problem I had was the crappy Goodyear Eagle RSA tires which were replaced. I love this car. I only drive it in the summer now, and am going to give it to my daughter as her first car, and the Cops can chase her around. Why GM discontinued the Caprice/Impala SS is beyond me. This car is a true classic and will be a collectors car I'm sure.

Great Car But Expensive to Repair
By 1996 Chevrolet Capri on 03/07/06 20:26 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

Great Car...great respect because it looks like a police cruiser. Very expensive to repair. I have spent about $2000 in the last 2 months on repairs. It has 209,000 miles. I hope I can get 300,000. It is one of the best I have owned. I have had it since 72,000 miles about 4 years ago. Now I do a lot of highway driving and hope I can keep it.

Love the Caprice
By tony on 11/26/05 23:43 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I have used the Caprices in my Funeral Escort business for over eight years and they have performed beautifully for us. The vehicle is almost undestructable. It is heavy duty all the way around and you can always count on it. If you perform the routine maintainence and change filters etc I believe the car will last for 400,000 mile or more and I have seen Caprices with that mileage on them. I think it was GM's best made vehicle.

End of the Big Rear Wheel Drive Cars
By mrleibel on 11/15/05 16:53 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I bought this car second hand from an older couple. I put limited miles on it as I store the vehicle during the winters. I have the LT1 which is an awesome motor for power, towing, and economy. I can easily average 26 mpg. When pulling my 2100lb camper, I average 17 mpg cruising at 70mph; hard to beat that with an SUV. The ride is quiet and smooth; the leather seats are comfortable for long rides and I really enjoy the simple dashboard layout. The trunk size is great as well. I have never had a space shortage problem. Overall, the Caprice is quite the car; its very versitile and a wolf in a sheep's skin.

Tell me again why GM discontinued these?
By Z28_Sedan on 12/12/04 00:03 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I have the 5.7L LT1 engine in mine. It's a very fast car with smooth-as- silk ride. The odd thing is that it gets 25 mpg even with the performance axle ratio (that's the EPA highway rating too). I know other owners getting 27 mpg. It's funny that Chrysler's new Hemi (same size as the LT1: 5.7L) in the 300C/Magnum (a similar curb weight according to Edmunds) is rated at the same gas mileage (25 mpg highway) even though the Hemi is 10 years newer in design and even uses cylinder deactivation.

ex-Police LT1 off eBay
By Anonymous Coward on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

Shopping for a second car in 2000 I started on Edmunds.com and selected a couple high-value models (good ratings and low price). Then I went to eBay and started bidding - won a '96 Caprice. Fresh out of service with the Saginaw MI PD it has the LT1 and heavy duty everything. Got it with 75,000 on the clock. So far I've put a new A/C unit, replaced two front suspension components and put on new Michelins. It uses no oil and has had zero drivetrain issues. Now at 120,000 miles.

Good Big and Fast
By kph on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

As the original owner for seven years I find that the 1996 Caprice Classic provides a very comfortable ride, is very good in a crash, has good acceleration, a great turn radius and responds well. It's big and roomy. Electrical system is poor, prone to alternator failure and the body trim deteriorates, some strip[s have been replaced twice.

the best i ever owned
By caprise 1 on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

my dad got this one when it was new. he drove it for a number of years and loved it, i got it from him about a yr and a have ago ..since then i have put a stagering 60.000 mi on my chevy. and let me tell you it is the best!!! verry little prob since i got it,the only thing i had to do was to change the alt appart from oil change and tires. last sumer we took a vacation to Fla, i got 32 mpg belive it or not. i got a 4.3 v8 in it you would sware it was a 5.7..... if i had to put any thing that might be bad would have to be that i cant get a 2003 ,,,, why would chevy stop making them?????????