1993 Chevrolet Caprice Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

1993 Caprice Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caprice model:

Sort Reviews by

Chevrolet Caprice Classic 9c1 - Frequent Stall Issues
By mpfi

1993 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

* This review is mainly intended for ex-police cruiser fans, Chevy Caprice lovers, Car restorer or Collector. The car is great; however, after many years of trouble-free operation it started having some stall issues.

Suggested Improvements

* This review is mainly intended for ex-police cruiser fans, Chevy Caprice lovers, Car restorer or Collector. I replaced almost every thing that could come to your mind: electric fuel pump and in-tank wiring harness, spark distributor assembly, TBI assembly was overhauled, replaced TBI sensors, Oil Pressure sending unit, MAP, Air Temp Sensor and EGR. There is only (1) thing I overlooked, the external fuel pump wiring harness attached to the fuel sender unit: Solution 1: BLT1 Bulkhead Connector Assembly http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=BLT1-BCA&eq=&Tp= or.... Solution 2: Power Isolator – Part Number 14007 www.revolutionelectronics.com

Big Boat, Nice Float
By art

1993 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I have owned this old river barge for nearly a year and love it! I explain it, "as if you were driving the couch". Having put 20k on in 10 months, I have few complaints. All the mileage one could expect, probably more for a 305ci, river barge. I get a consistent 22mpg running my route, (450 miles weekly), & as high as 27 on a road trip.

Favorite Features

Comfort! Space! Big! I put new shocks on when I bought at 70k, good stock tires, & alignment. She floats like a straight arrow. I know if I hit something, it will know its been hit!

LTZ is the best version for 1993!
By JB's LTZ

1993 Chevrolet Caprice LTZ 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car to death. Bought it with 45K used. At 75K, blew the engine but wasn't upset. I was glad! It was covered by my extended warranty! The new engine was great! Now after 150K on the newer engine and 215K on the car it has developed a condition where it eats radiators every 9 months to a year. It's sad. I haven't been able to find anyone that can fix it. Some guys said it could be a bad head gasket or even electrical gremlins. I don't know. I want to keep the car but with gas prices out of control I can't afford the gas for this car any longer.

Favorite Features

The Bose Silver Series stereo is great. Interior held up way better then expected. Birdseye wood grain is very elegant. Has 9C1 heavy duty suspension package. Has oil/trans coolers w/ a POSI rear end. The car is built like a tank. I climb curbs when I want to get around traffic. Good in snow too!

Suggested Improvements

These cars aren't made anymore so what suggestions can be made? The car is very durable. I installed BMR sway bars and now it handles like its on rails. Also upgraded to the 9C1 springs and Monroe Severe Service Shocks...now huge potholes are nothing. I wish the radiators would hold.

The "Beached Whale" Lives On!
By Richard

1993 Chevrolet Caprice LS 4dr Sedan

While getting up there at 142,000 miles and not the best at gas mileage (15 MPG city & 21 highway), this Caprice Classic 9C1 is not ready to retire just yet! The back seating area ensures that the driver and front passenger would never have their rear passenger's knees bumping into their backs. This vehicle has taken most of its miles in big-city urban driving, and it has shown remarkable dependency. On the highway, its size has given the driver a sense of security while cruising between massive trucks. An unexpected additional safety factor is that many speeders slow up when coming up from behind, because they think it's an unmarked trooper car!

Favorite Features

Size, comfort, 5.0 L 305 cu.in. V-8 with regular gas, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Sadly the Caprice line was retired in 1996. Hopefully Chevrolet won't cheapen the Caprice legacy by renaming any new large front-wheel car with the Caprice name.

One of Chevrolet's best!
By Ken

1993 Chevrolet Caprice LS 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have had in 33 years of driving. I bought it 3 years old with 90,000 after the police were done with it. Today it has 201,000 miles and is running just as strong as the day I bought it. I have replaced the brake pads twice and the shoes once. At about 100,000 it needed a fuel pump, at 180,000 the idler arm was replaced and then nothing else until over 190,000. Since then it has needed a blower motor, waterpump, raditor, tie rods, lower ball joints and a starter. At about 195,000 it started to leak oil but if I add a bit now and again it will probably go another 70,000. I am looking at Impalas but will keep this as a second car.

Favorite Features

Bench seat, easy to get into for a 6'2" 280 lb guy. Factory sound system is great with a add on cd changer. Reminds me of the 2 1966 Impalas I had back in the day and now wish I had kept. Straight body lines aren't flashy but don't appear dated either.

Suggested Improvements

Disapointed with 16/27 mpg. Had hoped for a bit more in town with a 305. My 1966 got 17.

1993 Caprice
By Major Nairn

1993 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I have owned 2 Chevy Caprice's and they are very reliable and a real workhorse of a car. These models are the cars you keep for years and years because they can handle the high miles. For older folkes looking for reliability and safety you can't beat a Caprice. These cars are fast becoming collectors items as Chevrolet made its last Caprice in 1996. These cars are favorites for middle Eastern countries (where fuel prices are not an issue) as cabs and police cars and are bought in lots of 10-20 at a time and shipped to their respective countries.

Favorite Features

Durability, spacious interior and trunk,

Suggested Improvements

No longer made

want a great value!?!?
By bowtie 666

1993 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

this is my 11th caprice of varying years, this is the 6th i have owned with the 5.0 (305 cu. inch) i honestly can say that after the late 80's any of the TBI (throttle body injection) cars are still the best as you can work on them in your yard, they get great mileage (mine have averaged 15- 16 city and 24++++ on the road, even as high as the low 30's with a stiff tailwind @ 65 with the cruise set) if GM had half a brain trust they would go back to building these things!

Favorite Features

nice ride, average handling for a normal driver, RELIABLE as you will ever find!

Suggested Improvements

fit and finish could be better but HEY it is a CHEVROLET the WORKING MANS CAR!