What was GM Thinking, finally a RWD car that works.
By drvette on
1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan
Dad bought our "91, new, traded in an excellent 82 Caprice that was great also. The vehicle NEVER gave any problems whatsoever Price was some $18k or so, still they command about $5,000 for a nice one on Autotrader, so Edmunds, get your pricing correct..
Favorite Features
26+ MPG in rolling terrain, a two week trip to South Florida using 2 full tanks of fuel, = 30.6mpg and 31.4mpg The axle is a 2.76, so PLAN Way Ahead of your stops, the vehicle will coast forever. Surprising, it feels SICK, sluggish, passing a car at 50 or so, I looked up to see a State Trooper Helio hovering the road. I looked down to see 90+ mpg I lost some paint on the bottom of the front bumper that day, J/k, though I did slam the brakes on. Relatives with Camry's Maxima's etc only got like 22-24mpg My 2 Bonnevilles, a 92 and a 95 only get 23~mpg This with a 3.8 V-6 and a FWD transmission that is really pitiful. ' IF the trans does have to come out, It can pull one in 45 minutes
Suggested Improvements
The crash tests show a weakness on the passenger 'A-Pillar" Buick Electra Seats with more padding and the super nice armrest would be nice. I think ALL cars should be direct injected, with an Oxygen Sensor on each cylinder, that way the individual cylinders could be tuned to perfection. Adding Grill Shutters like the Cruze, and underbody panels would make this unit get into the 30's mpg The springs are a bit weak for my tastes, the Police Springs would fix that I think. A rear sway bar on all models would help. Very little to make this a 'Perfect" car. Thanks GM for finally making a wonderful vehicle, then finding making Trucks at the Caprice/Roadmaster plants was more profitable.