1991 Chevrolet Caprice Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

1991 Caprice Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caprice model:

Sort Reviews by

What was GM Thinking, finally a RWD car that works.
By drvette

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

Dad bought our "91, new, traded in an excellent 82 Caprice that was great also. The vehicle NEVER gave any problems whatsoever Price was some $18k or so, still they command about $5,000 for a nice one on Autotrader, so Edmunds, get your pricing correct..

Favorite Features

26+ MPG in rolling terrain, a two week trip to South Florida using 2 full tanks of fuel, = 30.6mpg and 31.4mpg The axle is a 2.76, so PLAN Way Ahead of your stops, the vehicle will coast forever. Surprising, it feels SICK, sluggish, passing a car at 50 or so, I looked up to see a State Trooper Helio hovering the road. I looked down to see 90+ mpg I lost some paint on the bottom of the front bumper that day, J/k, though I did slam the brakes on. Relatives with Camry's Maxima's etc only got like 22-24mpg My 2 Bonnevilles, a 92 and a 95 only get 23~mpg This with a 3.8 V-6 and a FWD transmission that is really pitiful. ' IF the trans does have to come out, It can pull one in 45 minutes

Suggested Improvements

The crash tests show a weakness on the passenger 'A-Pillar" Buick Electra Seats with more padding and the super nice armrest would be nice. I think ALL cars should be direct injected, with an Oxygen Sensor on each cylinder, that way the individual cylinders could be tuned to perfection. Adding Grill Shutters like the Cruze, and underbody panels would make this unit get into the 30's mpg The springs are a bit weak for my tastes, the Police Springs would fix that I think. A rear sway bar on all models would help. Very little to make this a 'Perfect" car. Thanks GM for finally making a wonderful vehicle, then finding making Trucks at the Caprice/Roadmaster plants was more profitable.

One sweet ride
By Mike

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

I've only had the car for a week thus far, built like a rock and can take the miles it's got on it and act like brand new.

Favorite Features

the power, the grace in turns, and the lines are amazing

Suggested Improvements

mechanical fuel gauge instead of electric.

One Of My Favorite Cars!
By Kevin Hoffman

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Wagon

Bought my Caprice wagon with 50k miles and after five years of ownership have had only a few minor problems. It's a very reliable car. Good power even from the base 5.0 V8 engine. Ride quality from this large rear drive car is pillow soft! I was surprised with the car's handling in winter snowstorms. Despite the rear drive setup, I never ended up stuck at the side of the road! The car's large size and rounded shape always gets attention from onlookers. Kids love the rear facing third seat! Cargo room with the second and third row seats folded is akin to an enclosed pickup truck! Long trips are very comfortable. A great car! Sad to see GM discontinue it.

Favorite Features

Ride quality, interior comfort, passenger and cargo space, acceleration, and comments from almost everyone I know!

Suggested Improvements

Old fashioned dashboard setup. Quality of interior materials could be better. Other than that I have no complaints.

great
By andrewalesso

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

great car. rarely a problem. strong car. strong frame. good in all weather conditions. comfotable.

Should I even swiitch?
By Chev Fan

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I own a 1991 Caprice. I am about to own a 1996 Buick Roadmaster if I think it will be as good a car as the Caprice. My Caprice gets 31mpg. No lie!!! My only complaint about the Caprice is the driver's sea. It's not a power one on this model and because I am only 5'2 i have to use a seat cushion so I can see over the dash. I also don't find the seat comfortable on drives longer than 1/2 hour. I've been told the Buick will fix that. The car has 370,000km on it and the only thing not working is the A/C. The engine has never been opened up, burns no oil. I'm only considering switching because of the newer year and the power seats.

Favorite Features

stereo sound, trunk space, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

better driver's seat

smooth ride?
By big brad

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

This has really been the best car i have ever owned.For the first 6 months i had absolutly no problems w/ it. But then stuff started to wear. I had the hole front steering done, then the intake manifold gasket,followed buy shocks and then the timing chain and valve cover gaskets..But since i did all the work myself instead of spending over $1250 i spent just under $350

Favorite Features

It is a great ride and pretty fun to drive. Great interiour quality and after all the work one heck of a good running car.no work done forthe last 6 months.it was worth the work!

Suggested Improvements

should have gone w/ the 350 ci engine. It isnt slow but it sure isnt fast.Firm up the ride.

Classic Land Yacht
By elomboy

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

This car is great. Never had a problem with it, handles well, plenty of power.

Favorite Features

V-8, power seats, Bose systen

Suggested Improvements

none

Summary of vehicle condition.
By STAN

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

Oil was changed every 3,000 (as close as possible)miles. I have never had to add any oil between changes. Maintenance was performed as soon as possible. Vehicle was never in any major accident and only three very minor ones. Upholstery is in excellent condition.

Suggested Improvements

Two very minor dents need attention. Driver side carpet needs replacement.

Summary of vehicle condition.
By Stan

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

Suggested Improvements

Two very minor dents need attention. Driver side carpet needs replacement.

The one that won't Die
By Big B

1991 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 5 1/2 months ago.It had 116,000 miles on it.But when i bought it i knew that i wouldn't have to replace anything any time soon. I myself have not had to do one minor or major repair on this boat.It is the most reliable car i have ever driven. (Just make sure you buy it from an old person, they like those cars)

Favorite Features

I like the way it looks. The comfort is superb and the thing dont want to break.It is deffintly very mechaniclly sound.

Suggested Improvements

It is the basic 5.0 but it could have a little more umph!The ride on the civilian models isn't that great.It can be solved by a stiffer spring and or shock. If not your going overboard!