Used 1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caprice model:

Built well, but Beware...
By 87classic

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Classic 4dr Sedan

I bought this car off an older uncle in my family who pampered this car and rarely drove it. As of this date it has only 180000KM's and the problems with it are increasing by the day. BEWARE! i have the 307 W/OD engine in this car, it gets a mere 12MPG (THATS RIGHT!) and sucks down oil like you wouldnt believe. I take VERY good care of this car and the engine just seems to want to quit on me. We think its the valve guide seals, or the carburetor float is letting in too much gas and diluting the oil, or possible the piston rings are gone...however its not worth my $$ to get it fixed ($700-1200 job)

Favorite Features

Big and roomy thats about it. I feel safe when driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

Not using a problamatic Oldsmobile engine in a Chevrolet car which is leading to the eventual death of mine.

Great Car
By capriclassy

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Classic 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. It has'nt many problems at all. Right now the valve seals are being replaced however. This car is very long, i dont recommend anyone who is starting to drive to take this car. Turning can sometimes be hard because of the length of the car..and some people dont understand. Extremely safe too, ive ran into poles going 10km/h and absolutely nothing happened to the car! I get only 16MPG however.

Favorite Features

Room inside, quality of parts and way the car was built.

Suggested Improvements

power windows are slow. V8 is EXTREMELY underpowered. Gas mileage is TERRIBLE (16)...weight of car. Placement of spare tire. No factory rims

These cars never die!!!
By Derek W

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Caprice with 229,000 miles and still climbing! The car has orginal Tranny and engine also!!! I am getting about 27 miles to the gallon on average city and highway driving. These were great cars, keep your and keep it for a long time because according to GM, they stoped making good cars

Favorite Features

Everything!!!

Suggested Improvements

They could have done a little better on the paint job when it rolled off the factory line.

ex 1990 capice police car
By young man

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Classic 4dr Sedan

I have a 1990 caprice ex cop car that my dad bought for me on my 16th birthday (last year)with 250,000 miles on it and it runs great. This fall i beat a mustang 5.0 by about 6 car lenghts. since then i have driven a couple front wheel drive cars only to find that i belong in a caprice.

Favorite Features

its a sleeper/the old body style

Suggested Improvements

none

built to light
By KenT

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan Classic Brougham 4dr Sedan

Alternator went out. 117.00 for the part, excessive, and this was discount. I discovered it was the third time the alternator went out on the car with recipts. 68000 orig. miles. Everything inside seemed too lightweight. the arm rest was breaking when someone sat in the middle, power window buttons came off, heater buttons and of course the headliner. Body took dings too easy and the seats were uncomfortable. Radio was killer to change and unreliable.

Favorite Features

Gas milage and power were decent. looked good.

Suggested Improvements

build inside parts not to break. make service to items such as radio and faulty windshield wiper control/cruise button less troublesome.