Used 1990 Chevrolet Caprice Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Caprice - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caprice model:

Built well, but Beware...
By 87classic

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

I bought this car off an older uncle in my family who pampered this car and rarely drove it. As of this date it has only 180000KM's and the problems with it are increasing by the day. BEWARE! i have the 307 W/OD engine in this car, it gets a mere 12MPG (THATS RIGHT!) and sucks down oil like you wouldnt believe. I take VERY good care of this car and the engine just seems to want to quit on me. We think its the valve guide seals, or the carburetor float is letting in too much gas and diluting the oil, or possible the piston rings are gone...however its not worth my $$ to get it fixed ($700-1200 job)

Big and roomy thats about it. I feel safe when driving this car.

Not using a problamatic Oldsmobile engine in a Chevrolet car which is leading to the eventual death of mine.

My '90 Crapiece Wagon
By KnowMoreBowTies

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Wagon

Bought w/ 73K miles from a private seller who ran a body shop where the car was repaired after being sideswiped. Runs well but in seven years, the paint has dulled, the headliner has detached from the ceiling, the dash cover has split apart, weatherstripping has torn, and electrical problems have developed. On cold days, the wipers won't come on for a minute or more and they continue sweeping when you shut them. The engine nearly stalls each time you come to a stop but you get used to that. I have replaced engine gaskets, carburetor, tranny, exhaust, brakes, tires, springs, shocks, alternator, water pump, radiator, in the 40K that I have owned this thing.

I like the concept. The flat floor handles 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and no one ever complains about legroom. The ride is smooth and well controlled. It handles well and feels smaller than it is.

Use better quality vinyl and cloth materials in the interior. Chevy should make a wagon version of the current Impala.

Great Car
By capriclassy

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. It has'nt many problems at all. Right now the valve seals are being replaced however. This car is very long, i dont recommend anyone who is starting to drive to take this car. Turning can sometimes be hard because of the length of the car..and some people dont understand. Extremely safe too, ive ran into poles going 10km/h and absolutely nothing happened to the car! I get only 16MPG however.

Room inside, quality of parts and way the car was built.

power windows are slow. V8 is EXTREMELY underpowered. Gas mileage is TERRIBLE (16)...weight of car. Placement of spare tire. No factory rims

These cars never die!!!
By Derek W

1990 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Caprice with 229,000 miles and still climbing! The car has orginal Tranny and engine also!!! I am getting about 27 miles to the gallon on average city and highway driving. These were great cars, keep your and keep it for a long time because according to GM, they stoped making good cars

Everything!!!

They could have done a little better on the paint job when it rolled off the factory line.

ex 1990 capice police car
By young man

1990 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4dr Sedan

I have a 1990 caprice ex cop car that my dad bought for me on my 16th birthday (last year)with 250,000 miles on it and it runs great. This fall i beat a mustang 5.0 by about 6 car lenghts. since then i have driven a couple front wheel drive cars only to find that i belong in a caprice.

its a sleeper/the old body style

none