2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

2012 Camaro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Sort Reviews by

Full of surprises!
By kiriana

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LS 2dr Coupe w/1LS (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My Camaro has surprised me in almost every aspect. The first one being the comfort of the seats. I am very picky about how comfortable the seats are, and when I first sat in one, I was pleasantly surprised. Even though it doesn't have specific lumbar support, it supports you in a way that you don't really need it. It drives tight, the road noise is minimal, when you want to get a little thrill this baby can get up and go. It has a very soft clutch, so it was very forgiving of a first time manual owner like myself. The interior is very simple, but stylish. The sound system for a base model is amazing! The steering wheel feels a little cheap, but a nice leather steering wheel cover fixes that.

Favorite Features

The styling of the body. The comfort of the seats. The sound system. The amount of power you get despite it being a base model. The display between the gauges that has many different options to choose from. MPH, gas mileage, average speed, fuel range, trip 1 and 2, vehicle information, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the blind spots, if you don't double check your blind spots you'll never see someone over there. When I reset the TPMS, don't make the car honk twice, it's obnoxious. Widen the opening to the trunk, it's a tight squeeze to get to all that trunk space.

Watch your speedometer
By k2vi

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe SS 2dr Coupe w/2SS (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

Best car I ever owned in 23 years of driving. Installed borla cat back exhaust , BBK cold air intake and diablo tune. Got it right around 450HP at the flywheel. The launch feels like a big block is under the hood. Chevy did a great job with the design of the engine. It's a rocket however your sure to get a few tickets if your not careful. I think im doing the speed limit and find out im cruising along at 85mph. And she only has 5100 miles on it. Forget the V6 I test drove it and the low end torque is nothing compared to the SS ...I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Looks , power , fast , handling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is good but can be better.

Surprisingly good
By bgilgall

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LT 2dr Coupe w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Had looked at 2012 Camaro's in early 2012 but didn't buy one. In October 2012 i saw Hertz had an ex rental 2012 available for 3 day test drive with a view to buying it. Fast forward a few days and i've bought it with 33,000 miles for $22,500, 2 LT in Victory red with auto box, leather, reverse camera, heated seat, HUD etc. Just under a year later and i've put another 11,000 miles on it, not a thing has gone wrong with it. Incredible power for a V6, great brakes and handling, quiet too with an excellent sound system.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, putting the window down, knocking it down a gear or two with the paddle and pushing on the loud pedal!! Reverse camera is a must have in these, the blind spots are many. Only car i've owned that people regularly say "nice car" at gas stations or drive throughs.

Suggested Improvements

Memory buttons for seats and mirrors. I regularly get 18-19 on the highway on daily commute but 30 mpg on longer trips has been difficult to get.

Best car I've ever owned!
By paigelarissa

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LS 2dr Coupe w/2LS (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love my Camaro ! Seats are comfortable, smooth ride, quiet cabin, good radio, Gets up to speed as soon as you touch the gas! I have NO complaints what so ever about my car (:

"Nice Car"
By camaro2012guy

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LS 2dr Coupe w/2LS (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I hear "Nice Car". At the gas station or store or even a neighbor walking by, they all say something. I just smile and say thanks. I drove the car from Florida to Durham NC. I filled up at South of the Boarder in South Carolina after driving from Bradenton. The fuel range was 522 miles after the fill up! That's because I was averaging 32 miles a gallon going 76 - 79 mph. The gas from BP works better than other any other gas I have tried. Not one creek or squeak or oil leak and I have had the car for 9 months and 10,000 miles. My Camaro is black automatic 2LS. My 39 month lease payment is under $300.00. I had the gm card that was good for 2k and put 1k down. Lease the car!

Favorite Features

The look is my favorite feature. The 3.6 323 hp is next with over 30 mpg on the highway. It said on the sticker 30 on the highway but thought I would not see it because I have a heavy foot. Getting in and out of the car would be hard for an old guy like me but it makes me feel young so I deal with it like it is no problem. All the kids are grown and have kids of their own. If they come and visit we rent a car. :)

Suggested Improvements

I love the design now but would like to see changes every year so you can tell one year from another. Add fog lamps on the LS! Bigger mirrors on the side to cover blind spots better. More height adjustment on the seat and raise the roof a little so smaller people can see well. I'm 6'1 and it is good for me but my 5'5" wife can't see over the hood or cars on the side because the blind spots. That's a good thing because she doesn't drive my car.

Dont waiste your money on a Camaro!
By cruize

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LS 2dr Coupe w/2LS (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

3,000 miles = grinding noise while in motion. 3,500 miles = grinding noise fixed by dealer said it was parking brake engaging while in drive. 3,500 miles = Front Engine cover oil leaks 3,800 mile = Engine oil pan leaks I contacted Generl Motors and explain that this car is falling apart before 4,000 miles. Taylor at Technical Customer Service says thats why it comes with a warranty. All we can do is repair it when it occurs. After two weeks of phone tag GM offers to give me complimentary oil change. I need to return the headache to GM but according to them thats not possible so here it is less than 4,000 miles and car will be in shop for a week to try to fix 2 oil leaks. Acceptable?

Favorite Features

Its looks are its greatest feature. As we all know that looks only get you so far. If you married based on looks you would understand that looks are only skin deep. Vain is deciet and Beauty is fleeting. Wish my wife and I did not fall in love with this car based on its looks. the seats are sporty and comfortable if you are not taller than 5' 9'' tall. The chop top looks cool but is not practical at drive up atm, or resturaunts.

Suggested Improvements

General Motors needs to change their name to Government Motors, Garbage Motors, or Generic Motors. This would be a great car if GM designed the body style and Toyota designed the drive train. I owned a 1997 Toyota 4Runner for 283,542 miles, 2000 Toyota Sienna with 112,062 miles, 2002 Toyota Camry for over 107,583 a 2004 Toyota Tundra with 258,951 miles and none of these ever had oil leaks or repairs other than regular scheduled maintenance such as fluid changes, tires and brakes. I still own two Toyotas, my wife and I bought the Camaro Brand New instead of a motorcycle for our date nights. Thank goodness its not a daily driver. Look up Camaro oil leaks its the norm.

a believer
By woodstock8

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe SS 2dr Coupe w/1SS (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

The avalanche of accolades/thumbs up from bystanders & motorists, young & old, guy or girl, are telling. This is America (Canadians helped) at its best. People respect the SS b/c they think it's sexy, fast - & they'd be half right. What they don't know is how comfortable the ride is even on 20"s (better than my Toureg/C class), how easy it is to drive in town, how stable it is at freeway speeds & how comfortable/roomy this interior is (headroom not withstanding). The white stripe package on black pops, but few cars under 100k elicit the positive vibes this Super Skunk is getting. Doesn't handle w/ the immediacy of a 997 I test drove, but is much more relaxing to drive.

Favorite Features

Such a solid, wholesome & honest package. Accelerates/brakes/handles at the limit like no other 40k car should be able to. After 2.5k miles I still look forward to every turn of the key. Whiplash torque is everywhere from 1st to 3rd. Having a rough day? A smile is truly a right foot tip away. Funny thing is NOBODY seems to get offended when I lay down a little rubber or take years to get out of a parking spot (see below). People (I) dig this car like they (I) rooted for Hulk Hogan in the old days: It makes them (me) proud to be an American. I used to scoff at this type of patriotism. Not anymore. The SS is that great.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility to the rear quarters is nill, moonroof rattles when opened, seatbelt tensioner locks at parking lot speeds and lets go in fast corners, 1-4 skip shift is moronic and makes me look like I can't drive, 6th gear is too tall and lugs at speeds below 70, 17-gallon tank is too small for this guzzler, exhaust sounds wimpy...and yet, the SS is a home run for Chevy/GM. I'm glad my tax dollars have been well spent.

An American Classic redone flawlessly!
By adamlucchesi

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LT 2dr Coupe w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought my very own 1LT RS last week, and I can't even describe how much I love it. The looks, ride and feel are incredible. It can really kick when you need it to, but it actually gets good mpg's, believe it or not. Where else are you going to find a 323HP V6 that looks this sexy and gets 30mpg highway [and can get up to 34!]. It's really a phenomenal sports car, has tons of character and vibe, and the appointments on the RS package are perfect. My only "complaint" would be that you have to pay the extra RS upcharge to get the really beautiful cosmetics [wheels and lights, mainly]. But it's worth every penny. Go test drive one. You'll be hooked.

Favorite Features

The exterior cosmetics are arguably my favorite feature. The aggressive stance, wheels, and overall gorgeous body design are definitely what drew me in. But the way it handles is undeniable. Also, the electronics package is just as high tech as a luxury vehicle. You get American muscle car looks and performance, with luxury car appointments and a compact car's mpg's!

Suggested Improvements

I literally have just one complaint - The shifter knob. It's pretty bland and almost ugly. And since it's an automatic [switchable to manual with paddle shifters], a replacement knob isn't easy to come by. But that's such a stupid complaint, I don't even want to mention it... But, realistically, it is a pretty cheesy shifter knob. Everything else is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change anything else.

First choice
By stew65

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LS 2dr Coupe w/1LS (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

[non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

Power- the V6 is surprisingly potent- delivering plenty of adrenal boosters and spurring that inevitable smile you can't hide when you gas it! Price tag for the 2012 LS (which is all I wanted) is very nice, and at about 30 mpg hwy... just another ‘pro’ on my list.

Suggested Improvements

NO Camaro... even baseline models, should ever have hub caps- something that still makes me scratch my head wondering what think tank thought that one was okay. Visibility takes some getting used to- but by the time I was home from the dealer, it was a non-issue. In the end, I LOVE THIS CAR and apparently from all the compliments from my guy neighbors, it’s not just MY dream car.

In Love
By capri0190

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe LT 2dr Coupe w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely love my Imperial Blue Camaro 2LT with grey interior. The inside and out are both so beautiful and the seats are extremely plush and comfortable. Cops are rude but I expected that! The trunk is small but it holds everything I need it to and I have no problem with blind spots at all, you get used to it after a while. The sound system is banging! XM and onstar is fantastic, I can start my car from my iPhone it is awesome! Back up cam is so nice to have. LOVE turning corners, no slowing down required. So many features I am very spoiled now, and extremely pleased with the car I couldn't ask for anything better. Many stares and compliments also.

Favorite Features

Interior lighting at night is gorgeous! Love the locking glovebox. I am 5'11 and I still feel petite in this car which is a good feeling! I can stretch my legs out far and have many inches above my head from the ceiling.

Suggested Improvements

No chrome on steering wheel, when the sun hits it its awful! Tinting windows helped a lot though. Super microscopic sun visors with no extenders, they are a joke! No blockage I don't even bother moving them. Also don't like small size of middle storage consul.