2002 Chevrolet Camaro 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Fast

2002 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Review

Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Fast
By jrm1493 on

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car, In college my roomate and I built a '91 GTA trans am and I always wanted another F-body. Found this one on a used car lot. The interior is pretty craptastic and there are some squeaks and rattles, but the car is extremely fast, it is well known that the 310hp factory rating was grossly low to make sure the Vette was the king of the GM hill. My car has long tube headers and other bolt ons, probably good for around 325 rwhp (haven't dynoed yet). Engine and tranny feel rock solid. My car does have a modified suspension and low profile tires so the ride is harsh but the seats are quite comfortable which help.

Favorite Features

LS1 and T56. Even now, very few 2008 cars can touch this level of performance (Vettes and exotics/factory tuner cars). Highway fuel mileage is excellent (real world 24-26mpg) where you can take advantage of the 0.50 ratio 6th gear; city around 16-18mpg, depending on driving style/skipshift use.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is pretty crappy, both front door speakers were dry-rotted when I got it (after only 6 years... not good). Stock 10-bolt rear end is supposed to be weak but no issues so far and I don't launch hard.