Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Great car! Fun to drive!
By kimberly0130

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Camaro I've had (last one was a '97), and I was even more satisfied this time around with the overall performance. This car is still running great after owning it for 5 years. Keeping up with the maintenance is essential for these cars. I wasn't as careful with my last Camaro, and I ended up with several mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

The T-tops are fun on sunny days. It's almost like having a convertalbe while still having a full back window! The driver's seat goes back far enough for a tall person to be very comfortable. The fabric on the seats is a soft, plush material which is great as well.

Suggested Improvements

My center console latch broke, and it is costly to replace the cover. It could be more sturdy. Also, since the daytime running lamps are the same as the front turn signal, they burn out rather frequently. When the blinker is out, it just stays on when I put on the turn signal.

Vette powertrain in a cheap box
By larry

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have 105,000 miles on this car and it runs/drives like new. Still gets 23mpg and I do not drive it easy! Can't find more bang for the buck performancewise anywhere. Mustang drivers still look at these with respect 5yrs after they're no longer made. It's has a cheap, plasticky, rattly interior, but if that starts to bug you just punch the gas and you'll remember why you tolerate this thing.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, readily available aftermarket parts. Great response to performance add-ons

Suggested Improvements

Keep basic interior, just improve quality feel of materials. Offer a reasonably priced 450hp LS6 3:73 geared drag race edition

Simply a must have kind of car
By Camaroholic

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing. I have owned it for a couple months, and in that time, I have had a blast with it. Drifting is fun with the ASR (acceleration-slip reduction) off, and downshifting from 5th into 4th while going down the road just to get the feeling of being thrown back into the seat is just indescribable. I would've gone for a Z28/ SS, but for an entry-level sports car, I saw the base Camaro as a perfect idea

Favorite Features

White exterior, power seats, power windows, 5-speed, 200 horses hiding under the hood, the aggressive rumble of the exhaust when accelerating from an intersection, sleek body style, t- tops, jealousy looks from those who pass by

Suggested Improvements

Make remote keyless entry systems mandatory on every Camaro, even the base models. Give the already semi- powerful 3.8 liter engine more power

Great Car- Reliability, Mileage, and Looks
By treavey

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is a really great car that has never given me any trouble. Routine maintenance is all you will ever need. And I usually get about 20 MPG in- town. Plus, its very stylish and looks great!

Finally got a blue one
By kahlme2002

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

There has got to be something good here. They were used for police cars. They are headturners. Haven't had it in any weather yet, so I'm waiting to see. Can't believe when they end a tradition they make a plain base car. But it handles nice, ride is pretty good for sport, gas mileage isn't bad. It is a bit wide to see with the mirrors.

Favorite Features

Color, dark blue, outside body style. Stereo. Not to bad to work on as far as changing oil and transmission fluid, especially if you're female. The style of cut on the windows is cool. It is one major head turner.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back with better seats as far as adjustments. Nothing that raises spots in the car like gas tanks, catalytic converters or other equipment. Lower the console a bit or raise the seat. Maybe a baby blue color for us wildside generation women.