2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
A legend in its own time
By Marc Bazell on 01/11/06 19:46 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Well, here it is nearly 4 years since I took delivery of my Canadian made '02 Z28, and still performs like the Vette, the Porsche 911 (0-60MPH), the A4, and can outrun any Mercedes BMW and the new Charger RTS. I use synthetic oil (Mobil One 10W- 30),rotate the tires faithfully, maintain about 5 psi above Chevy's recommended 30 psi, change the air filter every 6 months, just flushed the cooling system, brake system and transmission with 18,000 miles on the vehicle. And for all that nit-pickey extra maintenence, I get a whopping 33 MPG @ 70 MPH w/cruise control set. Now, lets see what GM has to offer with the new upgrade Camero next year. So far I like what I hear from rumour central.

2002 Camaro Z28, LS1-6 Speed
By Tom Miller on 12/26/05 23:56 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned more than 20 cars over the past 30 years, I can say that my 2002 Z28 Camaro is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've added some performance and handling bolt-ons, along with the Hypertech Power Programmer and the results are fantastic. 0-60mph in 4.5sec, 1/4 mile in 12.7sec, and I've cruised at over 160mph. Normal driving I average 24.5- 28.4 highway and 14-16 city. I use only synthetic lubricants (engine, gearbox & rear axle); Mobil-1 for the engine with Z-Max additive. Soon, I'll be adding the GM Performance Parts LS1- to-LS6 conversion (heads & cam, 2002 Z06 Corvette) and a F.A.S.T. LSX Intake with a ZEX Nitrous setup. Love my 2002 Z28. Thanks Chevrolet!

Back to the true sports car
By John on 12/20/05 02:59 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a a little over a month, but what a great car. I only have the V-6 with the five speed. It is a very agile car that is very fun to fly through the gears. Drifting the car / burnouts very easy. The car is built solid and doesnt seem to have any problems. The seats even though they are cloth are more comfortable than my sister's Mustang's that are leather. Over all it is a sporty fun car that is a great starter car or even a easy driver.

Great Car but should have bought Vette
By RED on 10/31/05 19:00 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Have six speed Z28 with all the options. Not built well and mileage averages 13, way below EPA. Got it with big discount at end of build out. Great weekend car with tight feel. Stay away from snow and rain as traction poor. Brake rotors warp easily and front window distorts view in areas, Black plastic interior pieces fall off. In other words a piece of GM junk that's really fun to drive. Trade value about half of purchase price after three years. Hard to get in and out of. It's ok as during the week drive the Buick LeSabre.

Overall
By J-dUbS rIdE on 08/30/05 05:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is an amazing car for a V6. All I have added was a chamber 2 flowmasters & a k&n air filter and I have no problem with 0-60 in 6 and a quarter mile in 14 for being mainly stock. You can't get any car better for your money than this model. The handling is awsome throughout turns and is very smooth at high speeds. The exterior is very sharp. Overall a very good machine.

2002 SS
By David on 05/02/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car is an absolute blast to drive. People don't believe it runs 13.3 sec 1/4 mi stock. There still isn't a car available with this kind of power for less than $30K. It isn't for the faint of heart. The stock brake rotors warp every 10K miles. The build quality was low and it showed in several trips to the dealership to replace cracked/warped interior pieces. The glass and paint are soft and chip easily. The unibody flexes causing several rattles and squeaks. The right catalytic converter sits just in front of the passenger seat making it quite uncomfortable for some riders. Take a test ride as well as a drive. It has never failed to get me where I'm going however.

Excellent Bang for the buck
By j on 03/29/05 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

There is simply no better performance value than this car. It has the performance of cars costing more than twice its price. It has a fairly basic interior but thats okay because it keeps the price down and allows you to focus on the fun part, driving!

I love this car!
By HollywoodJose on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

The car drives awesome and its a great head turner when its all clean and shiny! I've had NO problems with it and it has about 45k miles. Everything mechanical is built excellent!

BRING IT BACK!
By SpeedDemon02SS on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd camaro, and by far the best! I have wanted a camaro ever since I was a kid, and now I have the best, a 2002 Pewter SS, fully loaded. The power is unmatched, and the handleing is superb. Great for everyday, and great at the track. Considering its 400 HP LS1 engine (i had to add some stuff), and a lead foot...19mph isn't that bad.

Camaro review
By Camaro man on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an orange Z28, and I personally feel it is the best car I have ever owned. With its overwhelming power and historic roots this is a great chioce for any driver.