Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

153,000 miles and still going
By Laura

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 2002 camaro 35th anniversary edition since January of 2002. 8 months ago, I had the water pump replaced. Today, I had the sway bar replace and in the very near future I will need to have the catalytic converter replaced. Considering that I have 153,000 miles on this car, I think its done really well.

The pick up. When I'm driving and I need to speed up, its great.

A more comfortable front passenger seat or make it feel like you are not so low.

Great Overall
By Jimmy

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Well i'm only 17 my parents owned this car. And gave it to me as my first car. Before i always thought i was gonna tune it. But pointless even though its a v6 it hauls like a v8. 0 to 60 mid 7 secs good for a commuting car and the mileage is good to 30 mpg for the highway going 70mph. Really great car.

The monsoon system even though factory it has 8 speakers 500 watt what else do you need. Just fully peeling out have no traction control the car slides to the side. The day riding lights just the yellow figures in the morning.

Having no traction control on a 55/45 weight ratio rear wheel drive car. In the rain particularly bad wheels spin out. The gas pedal is to deep in not useful for heel toe rev matching.

still faster than a 2010 mustang !
By joe

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven my 2002 z28 auto as HARD as possible, for the last 7 years! With over 50 dragstrip passes (13.1s @ 109mph) at bradenton dragstrip and never one single problem! You can't kill the almighty LS1 engine. 17 mpg with a heavy right foot! Handling, braking, and acceleration easily scares anybody in the passenger seat! Critics should have bought a camary. A Z28 is for incredible thrills everyday, for over seven years I still smile every morning!

0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds! The automatics rule! The ls1 engine is IDENTICAL in horsepower to the ls1 corvettes (350hp)!!! do some research. Don,t believe the slow magazine times, DRIVE one for yourself! ALL my friends with Camaros and Transams run similar times!

G.M. please improve paint, window motors, speakers, rear leg room on the next Camaro.

Fast
By jrm1493

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car, In college my roomate and I built a '91 GTA trans am and I always wanted another F-body. Found this one on a used car lot. The interior is pretty craptastic and there are some squeaks and rattles, but the car is extremely fast, it is well known that the 310hp factory rating was grossly low to make sure the Vette was the king of the GM hill. My car has long tube headers and other bolt ons, probably good for around 325 rwhp (haven't dynoed yet). Engine and tranny feel rock solid. My car does have a modified suspension and low profile tires so the ride is harsh but the seats are quite comfortable which help.

LS1 and T56. Even now, very few 2008 cars can touch this level of performance (Vettes and exotics/factory tuner cars). Highway fuel mileage is excellent (real world 24-26mpg) where you can take advantage of the 0.50 ratio 6th gear; city around 16-18mpg, depending on driving style/skipshift use.

Interior is pretty crappy, both front door speakers were dry-rotted when I got it (after only 6 years... not good). Stock 10-bolt rear end is supposed to be weak but no issues so far and I don't launch hard.

Did the editors even drive this car?
By Exodus I

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is exceptional. I have owned a lot of cars in my life, including a 1968 Camaro, which is the only one that compares to this vehicle in performance. This car has literally saved my lie on several occasions. I don't drive a high performance vehicle to show off, Phoenix roads are dangerous. When I tell my car to do something, I expect an instant result. On at least three occasions, spit second performance has avoided serious accidents. She is asthetically appealing as well. She always turns heads, a nice bonus. She leaks a little in a car wash and the stereo needs upgrade. Everything else is amazing. I am giving this to my son and getting the 2009 when available!

The engine purrs. Invest in the extra HP. The nose has exceptional lines. Once, after backing her into my driveway, two of the neighborhood kids came racing up, swishing their bikes tires; "hey mister, you've got a nice car!" America's only affordable sports car, and yes, I have owned a Mustang.

Better stereo. I went to crutchfield and replaced my speaker, Rockford Fosgate in the rear, Alpine in front and mid. The factory stereo is, well factory, so upgrade that as well High performance tires are a must as well. Also, use sound supression materials in the rear.