2002 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Review: 2002 Camaro Z28, LS1-6 Speed

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Review

2002 Camaro Z28, LS1-6 Speed
By Tom Miller on

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned more than 20 cars over the past 30 years, I can say that my 2002 Z28 Camaro is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've added some performance and handling bolt-ons, along with the Hypertech Power Programmer and the results are fantastic. 0-60mph in 4.5sec, 1/4 mile in 12.7sec, and I've cruised at over 160mph. Normal driving I average 24.5- 28.4 highway and 14-16 city. I use only synthetic lubricants (engine, gearbox & rear axle); Mobil-1 for the engine with Z-Max additive. Soon, I'll be adding the GM Performance Parts LS1- to-LS6 conversion (heads & cam, 2002 Z06 Corvette) and a F.A.S.T. LSX Intake with a ZEX Nitrous setup. Love my 2002 Z28. Thanks Chevrolet!

Favorite Features

GEN III Small Block V-8 (LS1/LS6) Engine, T56 6-Speed OD Trans, 500-watt factory CD stereo, dash layout, body styling, front seat comfort and safety features. Also, great fuel economy with good (310-380) horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

LS6 engine as a factory option. Gear ratios in transmission-different ratios available as option. Stronger rear axle. Slightly larger brakes. Bring back the RPO 1LE SCCA Showroom Stock Racing suspension package.