Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Great Overall
By Jimmy

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Well i'm only 17 my parents owned this car. And gave it to me as my first car. Before i always thought i was gonna tune it. But pointless even though its a v6 it hauls like a v8. 0 to 60 mid 7 secs good for a commuting car and the mileage is good to 30 mpg for the highway going 70mph. Really great car.

Favorite Features

The monsoon system even though factory it has 8 speakers 500 watt what else do you need. Just fully peeling out have no traction control the car slides to the side. The day riding lights just the yellow figures in the morning.

Suggested Improvements

Having no traction control on a 55/45 weight ratio rear wheel drive car. In the rain particularly bad wheels spin out. The gas pedal is to deep in not useful for heel toe rev matching.

Did the editors even drive this car?
By Exodus I

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is exceptional. I have owned a lot of cars in my life, including a 1968 Camaro, which is the only one that compares to this vehicle in performance. This car has literally saved my lie on several occasions. I don't drive a high performance vehicle to show off, Phoenix roads are dangerous. When I tell my car to do something, I expect an instant result. On at least three occasions, spit second performance has avoided serious accidents. She is asthetically appealing as well. She always turns heads, a nice bonus. She leaks a little in a car wash and the stereo needs upgrade. Everything else is amazing. I am giving this to my son and getting the 2009 when available!

Favorite Features

The engine purrs. Invest in the extra HP. The nose has exceptional lines. Once, after backing her into my driveway, two of the neighborhood kids came racing up, swishing their bikes tires; "hey mister, you've got a nice car!" America's only affordable sports car, and yes, I have owned a Mustang.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo. I went to crutchfield and replaced my speaker, Rockford Fosgate in the rear, Alpine in front and mid. The factory stereo is, well factory, so upgrade that as well High performance tires are a must as well. Also, use sound supression materials in the rear.

Great car! Fun to drive!
By kimberly0130

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Camaro I've had (last one was a '97), and I was even more satisfied this time around with the overall performance. This car is still running great after owning it for 5 years. Keeping up with the maintenance is essential for these cars. I wasn't as careful with my last Camaro, and I ended up with several mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

The T-tops are fun on sunny days. It's almost like having a convertalbe while still having a full back window! The driver's seat goes back far enough for a tall person to be very comfortable. The fabric on the seats is a soft, plush material which is great as well.

Suggested Improvements

My center console latch broke, and it is costly to replace the cover. It could be more sturdy. Also, since the daytime running lamps are the same as the front turn signal, they burn out rather frequently. When the blinker is out, it just stays on when I put on the turn signal.

Simply a must have kind of car
By Camaroholic

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing. I have owned it for a couple months, and in that time, I have had a blast with it. Drifting is fun with the ASR (acceleration-slip reduction) off, and downshifting from 5th into 4th while going down the road just to get the feeling of being thrown back into the seat is just indescribable. I would've gone for a Z28/ SS, but for an entry-level sports car, I saw the base Camaro as a perfect idea

Favorite Features

White exterior, power seats, power windows, 5-speed, 200 horses hiding under the hood, the aggressive rumble of the exhaust when accelerating from an intersection, sleek body style, t- tops, jealousy looks from those who pass by

Suggested Improvements

Make remote keyless entry systems mandatory on every Camaro, even the base models. Give the already semi- powerful 3.8 liter engine more power

Great Car- Reliability, Mileage, and Looks
By treavey

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is a really great car that has never given me any trouble. Routine maintenance is all you will ever need. And I usually get about 20 MPG in- town. Plus, its very stylish and looks great!