Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

still faster than a 2010 mustang !
By joe

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven my 2002 z28 auto as HARD as possible, for the last 7 years! With over 50 dragstrip passes (13.1s @ 109mph) at bradenton dragstrip and never one single problem! You can't kill the almighty LS1 engine. 17 mpg with a heavy right foot! Handling, braking, and acceleration easily scares anybody in the passenger seat! Critics should have bought a camary. A Z28 is for incredible thrills everyday, for over seven years I still smile every morning!

0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds! The automatics rule! The ls1 engine is IDENTICAL in horsepower to the ls1 corvettes (350hp)!!! do some research. Don,t believe the slow magazine times, DRIVE one for yourself! ALL my friends with Camaros and Transams run similar times!

G.M. please improve paint, window motors, speakers, rear leg room on the next Camaro.

Fast
By jrm1493

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car, In college my roomate and I built a '91 GTA trans am and I always wanted another F-body. Found this one on a used car lot. The interior is pretty craptastic and there are some squeaks and rattles, but the car is extremely fast, it is well known that the 310hp factory rating was grossly low to make sure the Vette was the king of the GM hill. My car has long tube headers and other bolt ons, probably good for around 325 rwhp (haven't dynoed yet). Engine and tranny feel rock solid. My car does have a modified suspension and low profile tires so the ride is harsh but the seats are quite comfortable which help.

LS1 and T56. Even now, very few 2008 cars can touch this level of performance (Vettes and exotics/factory tuner cars). Highway fuel mileage is excellent (real world 24-26mpg) where you can take advantage of the 0.50 ratio 6th gear; city around 16-18mpg, depending on driving style/skipshift use.

Interior is pretty crappy, both front door speakers were dry-rotted when I got it (after only 6 years... not good). Stock 10-bolt rear end is supposed to be weak but no issues so far and I don't launch hard.

Great Value
By Rocket Ship

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Have had this car for just over a month. Its performance is incredible and I get 22-23 in overall city/hiway driving. Engine is amazingly powerful; radio is a great boom box and handling is outstanding. Was a one- owner vehicle and has only 54K miles. I thank the previous owner for taking such good care of it. Have received many compliments on this beautifully styled vehicle. Looking forward to seeing the redesigned Camaro in model year 2009, but very happy with the one I have. LS1 engine is awesome.

The sound of the LS1 as the revs build; the easy to remove and reinstall T-tops; Monsoon sound system.

Build quality could have been a bit better, but not as bad as many critics have reported.

Vette powertrain in a cheap box
By larry

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have 105,000 miles on this car and it runs/drives like new. Still gets 23mpg and I do not drive it easy! Can't find more bang for the buck performancewise anywhere. Mustang drivers still look at these with respect 5yrs after they're no longer made. It's has a cheap, plasticky, rattly interior, but if that starts to bug you just punch the gas and you'll remember why you tolerate this thing.

Power, handling, readily available aftermarket parts. Great response to performance add-ons

Keep basic interior, just improve quality feel of materials. Offer a reasonably priced 450hp LS6 3:73 geared drag race edition

'02 Camaro SS
By Phillip Reynolds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

These cars are absolutely wonderful. They are a blast to drive, especially on good curvy roads!!! I would highly recomend this car to any performance enthusiast out there that wants a sports car.

My favorite feature of my Camaro SS is obviously the LS1. This engine has loads of power right out of the box. Driving would not be as fun without a big engine like the LS1.

The only improvements that should be made on Camaros is the production number. Currently they make about...none annually, which should be changed in the future.