2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
2002 Camaro Z28, LS1-6 Speed
By Tom Miller on 12/26/05 23:56 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned more than 20 cars over the past 30 years, I can say that my 2002 Z28 Camaro is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've added some performance and handling bolt-ons, along with the Hypertech Power Programmer and the results are fantastic. 0-60mph in 4.5sec, 1/4 mile in 12.7sec, and I've cruised at over 160mph. Normal driving I average 24.5- 28.4 highway and 14-16 city. I use only synthetic lubricants (engine, gearbox & rear axle); Mobil-1 for the engine with Z-Max additive. Soon, I'll be adding the GM Performance Parts LS1- to-LS6 conversion (heads & cam, 2002 Z06 Corvette) and a F.A.S.T. LSX Intake with a ZEX Nitrous setup. Love my 2002 Z28. Thanks Chevrolet!

Great Car but should have bought Vette
By RED on 10/31/05 19:00 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Have six speed Z28 with all the options. Not built well and mileage averages 13, way below EPA. Got it with big discount at end of build out. Great weekend car with tight feel. Stay away from snow and rain as traction poor. Brake rotors warp easily and front window distorts view in areas, Black plastic interior pieces fall off. In other words a piece of GM junk that's really fun to drive. Trade value about half of purchase price after three years. Hard to get in and out of. It's ok as during the week drive the Buick LeSabre.

2002 SS
By David on 05/02/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car is an absolute blast to drive. People don't believe it runs 13.3 sec 1/4 mi stock. There still isn't a car available with this kind of power for less than $30K. It isn't for the faint of heart. The stock brake rotors warp every 10K miles. The build quality was low and it showed in several trips to the dealership to replace cracked/warped interior pieces. The glass and paint are soft and chip easily. The unibody flexes causing several rattles and squeaks. The right catalytic converter sits just in front of the passenger seat making it quite uncomfortable for some riders. Take a test ride as well as a drive. It has never failed to get me where I'm going however.

Excellent Bang for the buck
By j on 03/29/05 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

There is simply no better performance value than this car. It has the performance of cars costing more than twice its price. It has a fairly basic interior but thats okay because it keeps the price down and allows you to focus on the fun part, driving!

BRING IT BACK!
By SpeedDemon02SS on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd camaro, and by far the best! I have wanted a camaro ever since I was a kid, and now I have the best, a 2002 Pewter SS, fully loaded. The power is unmatched, and the handleing is superb. Great for everyday, and great at the track. Considering its 400 HP LS1 engine (i had to add some stuff), and a lead foot...19mph isn't that bad.

Camaro review
By Camaro man on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an orange Z28, and I personally feel it is the best car I have ever owned. With its overwhelming power and historic roots this is a great chioce for any driver.

Z28
By Gayle1975 on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I like the car but the engine started to knock at 15,000 miles. GM says this is normal for this engine. It is very annoying & gets worse the longer the car is driven.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!
By DodgeNu on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

There is only one draw back to this car, and this only applies to people that are 6'5" and taller, leg room is a little to short

I love it
By offset98 on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My family hated it, my friends made fun of it...guess what. Zero problems with this car! My buddy's A4 is in the shop monthly! Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about the car. Ad a few bolt-ons to the car and you have what I have: 338.3 rwhp & 356.5 ft/lbs all @ 2100ft altitude. I took this car on trips between Chicago and So. Cal and it didn't skip a beat. Not even 12k feet up in altitude over the rockies.

SS
By Maverick822 on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Incredible car for the money. Most people don't know that it gets the same fuel economy as a Camry, and matches the Porsche 911 0-60. Plus it has 33.0 cubic feet of cargo area. I think Chevrolet missed their market by not advertising the positives of this car, and by letting the gen 3 f-cars' image discourage would-be buyers. Also, contrary to popular belief, this car isn't bad in the snow. If you think so, just change the tires to all-season.