Used 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Fun car to have/drive
By Rebelord

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's a fun car to drive. The power is exceptional and it seems to never end. The handling is also very superb, as well is the braking. Like they say, its a cheap man's Corvette. I have had good gas-mileage with the car, mostly on the highway. In the city it can eat up some gas. The seats are so-so for long trips. Needs more lumbar support and better, softer bottom cushions. The exterior styling takes some getting used to as well as the interior could have gotten a bit more attetion. However, your mind is completely taken away from those slight flaws once you roll into acceleration. Its amazing that GM outpowers and out handles its competitors with "aged" technology.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, braking

Suggested Improvements

Update interior, less rattles/creaks, better supporting seats

A great car for the money
By wwater

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

The 3.8 v6 is an awesome motor. The monsoon stereo is must for me. This car surprisingly gets good gas mileage! I would buy another '01 Camaro tomorrow. I've also owned a 96 and a 68, but i really like this model the best. An excellent car for the money.

Favorite Features

GREAT off the light, monsoon stereo, leather seats, T-tops, smooth driver, and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Clunky signal light lever.

Finally got it.
By liquify

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

To be completely honest, I've allways been an F-body fan. I dreamt of having this car in high school and I got it. Now that's out of the way, this truly is a great car. With $123 invested in a simple lid, the car runs 12.9 1/4 on street tires and puts down 310 hp to the rear wheels with an automatic. Just impressive. I have had the car up to very extra legal speeds and it's rock solid. On the corners, it could use a better wieght ditribution, but it'll still outhandle 90% of the cars out there. There is a leak on the drivers side window. I average 19 city and 28 highway. With this much power on tap, that's awesome. For my money, this car is everything I was expecting.

Favorite Features

Power, top end, looks fast standing still, decent handling, and great mileage for what it is. I really enjoy taking the t-tops out and taking it on a country drive, with the LS-1 being my music. It's a great way to unwind and puts lots of smiles on my, and others, faces

Suggested Improvements

The only real complaint that I have is that the weight distribution is terrible. I eat up front tires (strange, huh?)and at $200 a tire, it's expensive. I have had an issue with a catlytic converter going out, but it's something that's under warranty, by law, for 10 yrs, 100,000 miles.

Z28
By Deams

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a sports car designed to go fast. With this you lose some fuel economy (although 18-20 mpg is not bad for a V8) and some interior luxury but the trade off is worth it. It hugs the road very nicely. It is very fast and it sounds good with an aftermarket exhaust system (I recommend Borla but to each his/her own) since Chevy did a poor job on these stock systems.

Favorite Features

6-Speed Transmission is fantastic with the 5.7L V8 Engine...VERY FAST!!!

Suggested Improvements

Chevy does a poor job at stock exhaust. I've added a cat-back Borla exhaust that just roars...now it's LOUD and FAST!!!

Camaro SS Kicks Ass
By Bitchin'SS

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

The 2001 Camaro SS is the most straight forward, reliable, stylish and fun car I have ever owned. I bought it because of the LS1 V-8 powerplant never thinking that it would become a classic AMERICAN car. The only problem I encountered thus far (45K)was a small broken spring for seat retraction. Kudos Chevy. My Kerry/Edwards sticker does it proud and loud! Now on to the 2005 Corvette?

Favorite Features

6 speed/330 HP/T-tops

Suggested Improvements

Because I autocross, I upgraded the brake rotors for heavy use and lowered the suspension.