2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
Very solid all around muscle car
By Rob C on 05/11/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Camaro SS back in 2004; it was 3 years old, and had 18k miles. The original owner purchased it and hardly drove it, as he had several cars. The car has t-tops, LS1, and a 6 spd manual trans. The car has more power than most need in stock form; in modified form, it can make a lot more. The LSI engine is bulletproof (if you maintain it) and fairly ecomomical for a large V-8. I have made several 600-700 mile road trips on the highway, and averaged 25-27 mpg! The 6 spd has a double overdrive, so at a steady 70-75 mph, in 6th gear, it is only turning @1500 rpm on the tach (it idles at 850 rpm)! The car is well built, and has no rattles or leaks (it has 48K miles).

My "01SLP SS
By '01 SS/'68 400 on 10/01/09 08:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got the car a few months ago from a guy that had barely decided to sell it. I jumped on it and got the car for $6k. It is T-Top, 6 speed standard, LS1 engine, and all stock, (which I highly recommend people get, A stock car). Once I got the car, the clutch went out. I just decided to park the car and mod it. I barely got done working car and its great! I love it to death! I put 3" flowmaster super 44 american thunders, 3" slashed tips,a SLP cold air set up, Edelbrock headers,(which dropped the 0-60 time by 1 FULL SECOND!),pistol grip Hurst shifter and short throw, Eiback springs,Moroso shocks and oil pan,Vette injectors, and 18" Z06 black vette rims. I blacked the car out!

Camaro SS
By Camaro SS on 06/17/09 01:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I sold my mustang and brought a 2001 Camaro SS 6spd in 2003, and its one of the best buys that I've made. It's very fast, and looks and sounds fantastic. Bang for the buck, its the best thing going!

Outstanding Camaro SS
By Hal_396 on 04/12/06 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car now for 5 years. I use it as a highway vechicle only, so it rarely gets used. It has held up well and is a blast to drive. Wish they still made the Camaro. Glad I bought one of the last ones made.

My baby!
By CarmaroSS on 03/12/06 09:23 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new, and only ride on weekends in dry weather. One of my pastimes is to get out in the country on early Sunday mornings when there is no traffic and let 'er go! Wouldn't trade it for too many cars. Made a few improvements - exhaust, skip-shift eliminator ,short-stick with reduced travel gate, and larger petals for heel & toe, grill. I'm considering 1owering springs, but don't want to stiffen the ride (Michigan roads - suggestions?). I also may get 18" wheels and tires.

Fun car to have/drive
By Rebelord on 02/19/06 23:29 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's a fun car to drive. The power is exceptional and it seems to never end. The handling is also very superb, as well is the braking. Like they say, its a cheap man's Corvette. I have had good gas-mileage with the car, mostly on the highway. In the city it can eat up some gas. The seats are so-so for long trips. Needs more lumbar support and better, softer bottom cushions. The exterior styling takes some getting used to as well as the interior could have gotten a bit more attetion. However, your mind is completely taken away from those slight flaws once you roll into acceleration. Its amazing that GM outpowers and out handles its competitors with "aged" technology.

Finally got it.
By liquify on 12/17/04 18:33 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

To be completely honest, I've allways been an F-body fan. I dreamt of having this car in high school and I got it. Now that's out of the way, this truly is a great car. With $123 invested in a simple lid, the car runs 12.9 1/4 on street tires and puts down 310 hp to the rear wheels with an automatic. Just impressive. I have had the car up to very extra legal speeds and it's rock solid. On the corners, it could use a better wieght ditribution, but it'll still outhandle 90% of the cars out there. There is a leak on the drivers side window. I average 19 city and 28 highway. With this much power on tap, that's awesome. For my money, this car is everything I was expecting.

Z28
By Deams on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a sports car designed to go fast. With this you lose some fuel economy (although 18-20 mpg is not bad for a V8) and some interior luxury but the trade off is worth it. It hugs the road very nicely. It is very fast and it sounds good with an aftermarket exhaust system (I recommend Borla but to each his/her own) since Chevy did a poor job on these stock systems.

Camaro SS Kicks Ass
By Bitchin'SS on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

The 2001 Camaro SS is the most straight forward, reliable, stylish and fun car I have ever owned. I bought it because of the LS1 V-8 powerplant never thinking that it would become a classic AMERICAN car. The only problem I encountered thus far (45K)was a small broken spring for seat retraction. Kudos Chevy. My Kerry/Edwards sticker does it proud and loud! Now on to the 2005 Corvette?

No better sports car made !
By BigBadZ on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Pure power . I put les then 200 bucks into it and I was running 12 second quarter times on stret tires . I have put 100k on the car now , I drive it constantly . Very reliable ! Plus I had it dynoed stock , and it dynoed 304 to the wheels . That means that this car has over 340 HP stock . Not the 305 advertised . I had a 99 Mustang GT before buying this . This car destroys it in power , and performance . Getting better gas milage too .