Used 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Very solid all around muscle car
By Rob C

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Camaro SS back in 2004; it was 3 years old, and had 18k miles. The original owner purchased it and hardly drove it, as he had several cars. The car has t-tops, LS1, and a 6 spd manual trans. The car has more power than most need in stock form; in modified form, it can make a lot more. The LSI engine is bulletproof (if you maintain it) and fairly ecomomical for a large V-8. I have made several 600-700 mile road trips on the highway, and averaged 25-27 mpg! The 6 spd has a double overdrive, so at a steady 70-75 mph, in 6th gear, it is only turning @1500 rpm on the tach (it idles at 850 rpm)! The car is well built, and has no rattles or leaks (it has 48K miles).

Favorite Features

Corvette for 4! Good looking, fast, well built, and reasonably economical for a muscle car. Very strong running car. High performance Camaros offer Corvette-like performance (they usually share similar engines), and room for a driver and 3 passengers plus luggage.

Suggested Improvements

First thing to add is subframe connectors. They help stiffen the chassis and make it handle even tighter; it should be noted that the Camaro brand manager during the time this car was made, came directly from Toyota, which explains the attention to fitment on body panels, trim pieces, etc.

My "01SLP SS
By '01 SS/'68 400

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got the car a few months ago from a guy that had barely decided to sell it. I jumped on it and got the car for $6k. It is T-Top, 6 speed standard, LS1 engine, and all stock, (which I highly recommend people get, A stock car). Once I got the car, the clutch went out. I just decided to park the car and mod it. I barely got done working car and its great! I love it to death! I put 3" flowmaster super 44 american thunders, 3" slashed tips,a SLP cold air set up, Edelbrock headers,(which dropped the 0-60 time by 1 FULL SECOND!),pistol grip Hurst shifter and short throw, Eiback springs,Moroso shocks and oil pan,Vette injectors, and 18" Z06 black vette rims. I blacked the car out!

Favorite Features

Very sporty, TONS OF PARTS ON THE MARKET, cheap parts, people love them, you will be noticed everywhere you go. Can get any horsepower range out of the LS1, and the LS1 is bullet proof, very good engine. Can do alot to it, can use Vette stuff like suspension. T Tops rock, and the engine can rumble

Suggested Improvements

Well, I would certainly do aftermarket mods. First, the suspension kinda stinks, new shocks, springs, strut bars, and k members will fix it, engine just needs bolt ons for + hp like exhaust, headers, soforth. Get all new weatherstripping, the t top stripping leaks when worn out. Upgrade the tires.

16 and Ready to Run
By Branden P

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first car its a basic V6 hatchback and so far its been better than anything out there I could afford. It handles windy roads like its on rails and puts the power down when you want it. The monsoon sound system blows my friends systems away. This one is going to be around for a long time.

Favorite Features

Monsoon radio, handling, and the looks can see the original camaro in it.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is cheap, needs more power for v6,anything plastic brakes and hump in passenger side. But I would buy another in an instant.

Camaro SS
By Camaro SS

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I sold my mustang and brought a 2001 Camaro SS 6spd in 2003, and its one of the best buys that I've made. It's very fast, and looks and sounds fantastic. Bang for the buck, its the best thing going!

Favorite Features

Power, style, oh yeah, did I say POWER!

Suggested Improvements

Monsoon sound system is a little weak, and get rid of the rev limiter.

Daaaang!!!!!
By Disco

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this Camaro 90,000 miles on it, looked for 6 months for one that was not molested. Bought it and man will these things get it with the V6. Super great gas mileage and a head turner. Much more car than I ever expected for the money. For all those out there better get one soon especially if you can find one under 6 grand for the nice ones. Round out that Camaro collection before the 2010's come out. I got mine! How about you?

Favorite Features

performance, gas mileage, styling and reliability, easy to do your own maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Hurry up and release the 2010 models to the public!!!