Used 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Fun to drive, reliable enough
By sac98281

2001 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Affordable, good looks. Some of the best suspension for a factory vehicle. Engine and transmission are great. Handles great. NOTE: front wheels are toe'd out (easily adjusted) which makes for great cornering but on the highway the tires will grab any surface imperfections and go that direction. Makes the driver pay attention. Convertible top works flawlessly and the material that it is made out of is excellent. Material is like a heavy canvas with good texture and looks. Common to this model: window motors burning out because of low voltage. I installed an aftermarket window motor wiring kit.

Favorite Features

Big windows, long dash board, exterior: sleek looking front end.

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace the fuel pump at 100k miles which is expensive because it is located inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump should be mounted exterior to the fuel tank. When the pump goes bad, the tank has to be dropped to gain access. This adds to the labor charges.

Super fun gas saver
By ponycar63

2001 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Camaro with 100K on it. It runs and looks new. It was owned by a preacher's daughter (really) and she babied it. I wanted a car that was better on gas than my 4x4 F150. This Camaro has been turning in mpg between 28 and 31 in mixed town and interstate driving. I had in mind of buying some boring 'old guy' car like a Buick Century. This lil Camaro is so much more better looking, more fun and better mpg to boot. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? The 5 speed trans. A 6 cyl Camaro would be boring with an automatic, but the manual gearbox is just fun! Mine is a stripper; manual windows, no rear defrost, etc. It does, however, have A/C and an ass kicking stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights are kinda cheezy looking.

Very solid all around muscle car
By Rob C

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Camaro SS back in 2004; it was 3 years old, and had 18k miles. The original owner purchased it and hardly drove it, as he had several cars. The car has t-tops, LS1, and a 6 spd manual trans. The car has more power than most need in stock form; in modified form, it can make a lot more. The LSI engine is bulletproof (if you maintain it) and fairly ecomomical for a large V-8. I have made several 600-700 mile road trips on the highway, and averaged 25-27 mpg! The 6 spd has a double overdrive, so at a steady 70-75 mph, in 6th gear, it is only turning @1500 rpm on the tach (it idles at 850 rpm)! The car is well built, and has no rattles or leaks (it has 48K miles).

Favorite Features

Corvette for 4! Good looking, fast, well built, and reasonably economical for a muscle car. Very strong running car. High performance Camaros offer Corvette-like performance (they usually share similar engines), and room for a driver and 3 passengers plus luggage.

Suggested Improvements

First thing to add is subframe connectors. They help stiffen the chassis and make it handle even tighter; it should be noted that the Camaro brand manager during the time this car was made, came directly from Toyota, which explains the attention to fitment on body panels, trim pieces, etc.

My "01SLP SS
By '01 SS/'68 400

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got the car a few months ago from a guy that had barely decided to sell it. I jumped on it and got the car for $6k. It is T-Top, 6 speed standard, LS1 engine, and all stock, (which I highly recommend people get, A stock car). Once I got the car, the clutch went out. I just decided to park the car and mod it. I barely got done working car and its great! I love it to death! I put 3" flowmaster super 44 american thunders, 3" slashed tips,a SLP cold air set up, Edelbrock headers,(which dropped the 0-60 time by 1 FULL SECOND!),pistol grip Hurst shifter and short throw, Eiback springs,Moroso shocks and oil pan,Vette injectors, and 18" Z06 black vette rims. I blacked the car out!

Favorite Features

Very sporty, TONS OF PARTS ON THE MARKET, cheap parts, people love them, you will be noticed everywhere you go. Can get any horsepower range out of the LS1, and the LS1 is bullet proof, very good engine. Can do alot to it, can use Vette stuff like suspension. T Tops rock, and the engine can rumble

Suggested Improvements

Well, I would certainly do aftermarket mods. First, the suspension kinda stinks, new shocks, springs, strut bars, and k members will fix it, engine just needs bolt ons for + hp like exhaust, headers, soforth. Get all new weatherstripping, the t top stripping leaks when worn out. Upgrade the tires.

16 and Ready to Run
By Branden P

2001 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first car its a basic V6 hatchback and so far its been better than anything out there I could afford. It handles windy roads like its on rails and puts the power down when you want it. The monsoon sound system blows my friends systems away. This one is going to be around for a long time.

Favorite Features

Monsoon radio, handling, and the looks can see the original camaro in it.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is cheap, needs more power for v6,anything plastic brakes and hump in passenger side. But I would buy another in an instant.