Used 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Great Lemon
By 2k-ss

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I ordered this car new, and it is my fourth Camaro. It's performance is great, and the fuel economy is surprising. The handling is outstanding. Unfortunately, the differential has been a constant source of trouble. It has been completely rebuilt by dealers three times. It rattles horribly under neutral load and whines when under slight power on turns. Chevrolet has admitted the rear end clunking is common, and says it is normal. Routine rebuilds would not seem to be normal. Now that the warranty is up, Chevrolet has lost interest in this.

Favorite Features

Great power, fun to drive, and looks like a civilized street prowler.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently the differential was an afterthought. Perhaps a Ford rear end would have been in order.

My last V8
By Kurt

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I purchased this car from the dealer using my mother-in-law's employee discount. I ordered it in September, 1999 and it was delivered on Jan 1, 2000. The brakes warped right away and Chevy resurfaced them no charge - more than once. Several months ago I decided to keep the car and installed Baer Eradispeed disks front and rear with Hawk pads and a new set of Goodyear F1 GS D3s and the car is now perfected. It goes like stink and stops exceedingly well. Now that gas is $3/Ga I think this will be my last V8, but it has been fun. Used ones are cheap now and mine has been bulletproof. I would recommend one to anyone who wants something like this.

Favorite Features

I like the whole car, but the favorite thing is the drivetrain. That big pushrod motor goes like a bat out of hell. Now that I have equivalent braking power I think the car is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

If GM ever makes another Camaro I strongly recommend that they think more European and develop a rear wheel drive independently suspended dbl overhead cam mid-engine V6 mated to a paddle shifted manual transmission.

Get One While You Can Find Them
By Carguy

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car used in 2004 with 11,000 miles on it. Went from New Orleans to Grand Ledge, Michigan to get it sight unseen. Turned out to be worth the trip. My first ride was the 1000+ mile trip back home with the car in which it performed flawlessly, even in the tropical storm, (no roof leaks) at my return to Louisiana. Fuel efficiency was unbelievable on this trip considering the power. This car has remarkable power, but is a mild mannered city cruiser with a better than average ride when your foot is not heavy on the gas. Exterior styling is excellent with the black top on a black car and chrome 5 spoke wheels. Exhaust note is awesome when you get on the accelerator.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and exhaust sound. Ease of covertible top use. Gas mileage for a car with this much power is incredible. Monsoon stereo with CD changer is better than average.

Suggested Improvements

A new Camaro with retro styling to compete with Mustangs would be a start, and one which would rival the soon to be released Shelby Gt500 would be a great way to unveil it. Maybe Chevy could beat the release date of the Shelby for a can't miss marketing strategy.

Bang for your buck
By demonspeed

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This is my 3rd Camaro. I bought the car used with 12k miles and I have put it through its paces. It is a daily driver that has seen a lot of track time. It has held up very well for the amount of abuse it has seen over the past 16k miles of ownership. With VERY minimal modifications, the car went from 13.6@106, to 13.1@110. I do not hesitate to take this car on any trips, nor fear the increasing gas prices and it sees close to 30mpg on the highway, and close 20mpg around town. For the price of these used LS1 cars, the performance/dollar ratio is top notch. With 303hp at the wheels STOCK, the car is really making more than its advertised 320hp (appx 350 crank - like a base Corvette).

Favorite Features

346 ci LS1 engine, T56 transmission, solid axle, t-tops, excellent looks with the SS package. Great relative mileage for the class, alright factory stereo (Monsoon 500w). This is a car to enjoy, but is very easy to setup into a drag race monster, or to have fun at your local SCCA event.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality(this is a mid-90's GM design, so we can't expect much). Power antenna (why should just the Firebird get one?), a stronger rear alxe (GM 12 bolt?), better window motors, better clutch setup (remedied in 2001), and more factory awareness of the Camaro brand - BRING IT BACK!

THIS CAR IS AWESOME!
By BlindSk8erPunk

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I bought this car used with 19,000 miles in late september 2002 from bill heard chevrolet.Since then it has been my primary mode of transportation,as well as joy rides.This car will SCREAM.I changed the cd player to c Pioneer Premier 220 watt & put a 1600 watt amp with thwo audiobahn 10 inch subs in there & it sounds incredible.Gas mileage is around 18-20 if driven conservative.Dies off if driven like every now & then a car this powerful requires. Expect to be watched by cops and chased by racer boy teens.

Favorite Features

Six-speed hurst shorthrow shifter,rims,Lights,t- tops,Handling,Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Rear defogger cords,road noise.