2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

2000 Camaro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Sort Reviews by

Silver Bullet
By 00SS

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This car is balanced well. It feels like a muscle car when I want it to, with the exception that it actually corners. I haven't had more fun driving a car, including my old 70 Nova! It's very tame when tootling around town, the gear changes are smooth and throttle response is outstanding. Whether you're cruising the strip, or blasting down an old country road, the car responds. Easy to drive, and power on tap. 60 MPH @ 1450 Rpms in 6th gear means I get decent gas mileage (around 23-24mpg highway).

Favorite Features

Exterior style, power on demand, overall fun just driving.

Suggested Improvements

No more skip shift!

This is a fantastic car!
By McEllinater

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I drive a mystic blue 2000 z28 Camaro V6. The best part of my day is driving this car. It is a lot of fun to drive, even in long distances. It keeps friends, family, co-workers all in awe. It's got lots of pickup even for a V6 and the thing is a tank. The car makes you feel powerful as you cruise down the road. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it cannot handle in harsh winters, but it is a fantastic summer car. Overall this car symbolizes style, speed, strength, and respect.

Favorite Features

Very fun to drive, good for the image, fast, reliable, stylish, good fuel economy, affordable, good crash rating, and lots of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Random parts seem to fail, could use some extra space, cheap interior, does not drive well in winter.

Great Lemon
By 2k-ss

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I ordered this car new, and it is my fourth Camaro. It's performance is great, and the fuel economy is surprising. The handling is outstanding. Unfortunately, the differential has been a constant source of trouble. It has been completely rebuilt by dealers three times. It rattles horribly under neutral load and whines when under slight power on turns. Chevrolet has admitted the rear end clunking is common, and says it is normal. Routine rebuilds would not seem to be normal. Now that the warranty is up, Chevrolet has lost interest in this.

Favorite Features

Great power, fun to drive, and looks like a civilized street prowler.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently the differential was an afterthought. Perhaps a Ford rear end would have been in order.

My last V8
By Kurt

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I purchased this car from the dealer using my mother-in-law's employee discount. I ordered it in September, 1999 and it was delivered on Jan 1, 2000. The brakes warped right away and Chevy resurfaced them no charge - more than once. Several months ago I decided to keep the car and installed Baer Eradispeed disks front and rear with Hawk pads and a new set of Goodyear F1 GS D3s and the car is now perfected. It goes like stink and stops exceedingly well. Now that gas is $3/Ga I think this will be my last V8, but it has been fun. Used ones are cheap now and mine has been bulletproof. I would recommend one to anyone who wants something like this.

Favorite Features

I like the whole car, but the favorite thing is the drivetrain. That big pushrod motor goes like a bat out of hell. Now that I have equivalent braking power I think the car is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

If GM ever makes another Camaro I strongly recommend that they think more European and develop a rear wheel drive independently suspended dbl overhead cam mid-engine V6 mated to a paddle shifted manual transmission.

Bang for your buck
By demonspeed

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This is my 3rd Camaro. I bought the car used with 12k miles and I have put it through its paces. It is a daily driver that has seen a lot of track time. It has held up very well for the amount of abuse it has seen over the past 16k miles of ownership. With VERY minimal modifications, the car went from 13.6@106, to 13.1@110. I do not hesitate to take this car on any trips, nor fear the increasing gas prices and it sees close to 30mpg on the highway, and close 20mpg around town. For the price of these used LS1 cars, the performance/dollar ratio is top notch. With 303hp at the wheels STOCK, the car is really making more than its advertised 320hp (appx 350 crank - like a base Corvette).

Favorite Features

346 ci LS1 engine, T56 transmission, solid axle, t-tops, excellent looks with the SS package. Great relative mileage for the class, alright factory stereo (Monsoon 500w). This is a car to enjoy, but is very easy to setup into a drag race monster, or to have fun at your local SCCA event.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality(this is a mid-90's GM design, so we can't expect much). Power antenna (why should just the Firebird get one?), a stronger rear alxe (GM 12 bolt?), better window motors, better clutch setup (remedied in 2001), and more factory awareness of the Camaro brand - BRING IT BACK!

THIS CAR IS AWESOME!
By BlindSk8erPunk

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I bought this car used with 19,000 miles in late september 2002 from bill heard chevrolet.Since then it has been my primary mode of transportation,as well as joy rides.This car will SCREAM.I changed the cd player to c Pioneer Premier 220 watt & put a 1600 watt amp with thwo audiobahn 10 inch subs in there & it sounds incredible.Gas mileage is around 18-20 if driven conservative.Dies off if driven like every now & then a car this powerful requires. Expect to be watched by cops and chased by racer boy teens.

Favorite Features

Six-speed hurst shorthrow shifter,rims,Lights,t- tops,Handling,Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Rear defogger cords,road noise.

Awesome
By Kiss my SS

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

Love this car, excellent take off power,excellent mid range and top end acceleration. Monsoon sound system is awesome. This car brightens any day of mine when I can pull it out of the garage. Only have 20,000 miles on it so far, and have loved every one of them.

Favorite Features

The power. The sound system. The look.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them.

One of the Best Cars Ever Built
By camaro ss

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I have always liked the design and styling of the camaro and decided to purchase one. I never had any problems with it and it is a very fun vechicle to drive. The car performs outstanding and is very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Design & styling, performance, sound, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None

SS is the clone of Ferrari 575M
By Johnny Chang

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

Very fun to drive. Looks like a Ferrari 575M and drives like one.

Favorite Features

450 HP, 440 Torque. SS ram air hood.

Suggested Improvements

Radiator's design should be placed behind the grill, not underneath the car.

American Muscle
By REDHOTSS

2000 Chevrolet Camaro 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This car is amazingly fast. I have had no problems at all with the car. People complain about the interior, but what do you expect for $32,000 new US. The great thing about this car is that if you don't like the interior you can easily change it.

Favorite Features

The LS1 V8. The sound of the engine driving by going 45 MPH in 3rd is one of the best engine sounds I have ever heard. The engine is very high reving. While others are shifting into 3rd, your still in 1st cars ahead. I also really like my T-tops.

Suggested Improvements

Keep building them!!! My only complaint is that this car forces me to burn out so much that I have to buy new tire. Ha Ha!