1999 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
My '99 Convertable Rocks!
By Toddrick Futter on 11/27/07 15:36 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible

I have had my car now for over a year and I drive it every day. I wrote a review when I first aquired the vehicle and rated it at about 8.6 or something like that. I was wrong. My Camaro is darn near a 10 in almost every area. This car has been very dependable and reliable, I put at least 100 miles on the car per day, 5 days out of the week, it has never let me down. I simply keep up on the regular maintance schedule, put gas in it and it keeps on going. The things that were "drawbacks" for me at first have become non-issues now that I am used to my car. I love my '99 Camaro, I never tire of driving it!

My Camaro
By Iv_z28 on 05/29/07 23:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

This car is all about performance, so I guess it is not for everybody. I didn't think I would keep it for 8 years, but here comes 2007 and I have no plans to sell. With minor mods it is still faster than 95% of street cars, it has nice fuel economy [especially for 350hp V8, at 28 highway mph only the lighter Vette can touch that], it is pretty reliable (for me the only major item over 8 years was ignition sensor, $400), and being hatchback it is also suprisingly practical and roomy and carried a lot of stuff for me, from Christmas trees to chairs. Ah, and don't forget why people buy it - LS1/LS2/LS3/LS4/LS6/LS7 is the best engine and found its way into everything from Mazda's to Porsche.

1999 Camaro
By camarokid1999 on 08/18/06 12:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Camaro for about 2 and half years now and I have loved the car. The power is great and the top speeds are insane. The car has 84000 miles on her and she has had the transmission replace and the rear inner bearings. Other than that the car has been great. The stock air intake on the car dampers the performance, but can be easily and cheaply replaced. The car is amazing stock, but it's crazy with some mods. Pacesetting makes a great set of headers for the car that will give it a great sound out the rear end and boost up its hp, but it kinda takes away from the low end torque. Also would recommend getting wider tires for the rear end if any performance mods are done.

1999 Convertible Camaro
By Todd Futter Howk on 06/21/06 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible

I love this car. it handles beautifully and is a real joy to drive, especially on nice days when I can drive with the top down. The engine, a 3800 series II is sound and runs great. I get super gas milage without losing any "get up and go" My only complaint would be that the convertible is very hard to see out of when the top is up. Lack of good visibility would be my main concern with this car but other than that a super car and a great buy! (I bought mine for $6000.)

Poor Decision
By Peter on 06/06/06 21:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for a year and a half and commuting. I was very excited when I got it, but then, not so much. I have replaced the spark plugs (3 times and impossible to get at), ignition wires (twice), all three ignition coils, ignition module, drive shaft (have to buy a new 2 piece to replace center bearing, GM doesn't sell the bearing $625, or convert to single piece $180), tires (twice, my fault though), both window motors, clutch, fuel filter, a T-top, catalytic converter, A/C compressor, alternator, battery, rebuilt the transmission. This is insane. I hate this car. I spend more time and money trying to fix it than I do driving.

Great Muscle Car
By jsabowabo on 03/02/06 09:59 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Convertible

The Camaro SS Conv. is a great muscle car. It's got the fabled LS1 and a T56 6-speed and makes a honest 350hp stock. These cars are fast and will easily smoke nearly any car on the road. The LS1 is an absolute gem of a motor, the only better one might be the supercharged 4.6L DOHC motor in the 03-04 cobra. Things you should know though, the interior is shoddy, and there is only room for short people in the back. It does get good mileage for what it is, expect 19-20 avg in mixed driving. It does have a long overhang and it feels like a big car. A Mustang GT feels smaller.

99 Z28 Camaro
By Matt on 02/15/06 12:23 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Like the car, so do my peers. It's fast, fun, reliable, and the most powerful you can buy for the money.

Great Car But It Has A Long Way To Go
By Detour2525 on 04/19/05 22:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car is a fun car to drive and the V-6 has a lot of power. But thats where the fun ends. In the 3 years I owned the car, I realized there is always something to fix on this car. First off, the GM build quality is horrible. The car is a pain to work on, nothing lines up. The front fenders are totally uneven with the doors and the car has never been in an accident.The glue on the seals in the trunk came undone and had numerous puddles under the rear seats.The driver seat creaks and moves a little while driving.2 pieces fell off from under the car and I do not know where they came from. Watch the weather reports b/c snow will make u stay put,dont even try to drive in the snow,waste of time.

Fun car, but terrible reliability.
By F-Body Luver on 01/19/05 12:50 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This is a fun car and it looks great, so if you like that for a cheap price this is all you need. But you better have a couple grand on hand for repair costs. AC compressor, fuel pump (TWICE), gaskets, transmission service, brakes, etc. have all failed early, by 60,000 miles. Be ready for headaches to offset the driving experience.

good
By Candi on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

A Really Nice Car! The Best Car I have Ever Owned.