1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
Excellent value, excellent fun
By z28camaro_1979 on 12/16/11 09:11 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

This car is arguably the best value out there for a blazingly quick, front engine/rear wheel drive set up, no strings attached. The Corvette 5.7 liter engine has been toned down a notch and dropped into the Camaros and Firebirds for years, but last year GM moved away from the LT1 and switched to the more powerful LS1 engine. The car I drove was equipped with factory T-tops, which were very easily removed and stored and looked fantastic. The car is available with the standard 4-speed automatic, but I would recommend the optional 6-speed manual. This is truly a fantastic value for money, combining awesome power with a great body style. This car will turn the head of any gearhead or car fan.

This is not your father's Oldsmobile.
By JohnnyD on 06/01/10 22:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Convertible

Ok kids. You probably don't even know what the review title means, sigh. Look it up. I bought mine new, 4/24/99. Only serious problem - annoying rear end noise, but I'll get that fixed someday. New Katskin Black (real black, not some misnamed gray) leather, new top, just had a repaint, incredible. Bought 99 'cause dealer said no more would be built. Wrong - three more years! However, I've had it for over 11 yrs and it can't be bought. Like my wife and kids, not perfect, but wouldn't trade for anything. Car has many imperfections, but like I said I wouldn't trade it for anything. Defines Bang for the Buck! Great performance, terrible comfort for an old guy, but I'll own it.

Love my Car!
By Brittany Gray on 02/01/10 10:19 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I absolutely 110% love every bit of my car! I bought it 2 years ago and it was pretty much completely stock and I haven't had any problems with it. I think it is the most beautiful car and they did amazing on this specific year range!

fast and fun to drive
By superss99 on 05/08/09 05:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I also own a 1994z28 great cars with awesome power numbers for both motors lt1 & ls1 don't let the mustang hype fool you. Any of these motors in stock form will rock a stock 4.6 3v or stock 4.62v. I also had a 2005 gt ls1 and lt1 still beat it. Ford has to use a super charger all in all I would stick with a camaro for performance and ride

Problematic
By JONJON on 01/12/09 00:21 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

Has gone through two manual transmissions, radiator replaced, rear end bearings went out, druveshaft couplings relaced, PCM replaced(water damage, bad design under window sill where water runs right onto it). Seats stink, absolutely the worst design for neck support. Rear seat is worthless. Very noisy car. I wear ear plugs its so loud. Driving lights are useless. Positive side, fast and handles well. Very bad car to drive in winter, no traction control on mine at least. Recommend a second car, this being only used for summer or dry conditions.

Great Muscle Car
By jsabowabo on 03/02/06 09:59 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Convertible

The Camaro SS Conv. is a great muscle car. It's got the fabled LS1 and a T56 6-speed and makes a honest 350hp stock. These cars are fast and will easily smoke nearly any car on the road. The LS1 is an absolute gem of a motor, the only better one might be the supercharged 4.6L DOHC motor in the 03-04 cobra. Things you should know though, the interior is shoddy, and there is only room for short people in the back. It does get good mileage for what it is, expect 19-20 avg in mixed driving. It does have a long overhang and it feels like a big car. A Mustang GT feels smaller.

awsome car
By mikel2069 on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

fast car. easy to make faster.

Bang for the Buck
By Doug27 on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

This is plain and simple the best performance you can get for your money!

Best Bang for the Buck!
By 99SS on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used with 30k miles, and I now have over 80k miles. I have not had 1 problem with the car, and trust me I use it to the extreme. I run nitrous on the car, full exhaust, intake, and gears. The car takes a beating and keeps coming back for more!

Last of the Red Hot SS Camaro's
By Raidersfan on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I have been both very happy with my driving experience and happy with my dealers who have helped maintain this car. I live and work in San Francisco which is a very car unfriendly place to drive. My 99 six speed SS has handled the steep bumpy hilly terrain admirably. The car has been maintained at a local dealer and with 65,000 miles has not experienced any problems. We don't have any plans on selling this car. When the time comes we will retire it to part time duty. Our trouble will be replacing it with something as exciting as this SS.