Used 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Excellent value, excellent fun
By z28camaro_1979

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

This car is arguably the best value out there for a blazingly quick, front engine/rear wheel drive set up, no strings attached. The Corvette 5.7 liter engine has been toned down a notch and dropped into the Camaros and Firebirds for years, but last year GM moved away from the LT1 and switched to the more powerful LS1 engine. The car I drove was equipped with factory T-tops, which were very easily removed and stored and looked fantastic. The car is available with the standard 4-speed automatic, but I would recommend the optional 6-speed manual. This is truly a fantastic value for money, combining awesome power with a great body style. This car will turn the head of any gearhead or car fan.

I love the T-tops, the engine, the transmission, the roomy interior, the exterior styling, the final drive, the power, and the handling.

Some may say that it mimics the Chrysler Sebring, but the similarities end there. The interior is nothing special, but it is surprisingly comfortable and roomy for a coupe. The back seat of a muscle car was never really designed for human transportation… and this car is no exception. However, there is an ample 33 cubic feet of storage in the trunk to make up for it. The manual gets a few more EPA estimated miles per gallon than the automatic, you can get up to 28 on the highway but don’t expect more than 17 in the city.

Great car
By LD

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Great town show off car and runs & drives wonderful on open road. Acceleration at any speed is great stooping very good with the all wheel disk brakes. Have smoked many mustang half its age. Get many remarks about its style and black body with the full factory dress up body features spoilers etc. Full factory stock car. Currently has 34k miles. A well cared for cherry car. Steering hi speed curves super control. Working at Iowa s largest track "Iowa speed way" I understand car control pretty well.

The atomatic shift control located perfect. The on/off rear end slip control is a good thing.A little hard in town but good at higher speeds.Good feel of road. Steering set up works great. Top fits tightly with little or no wind noise or leakage when up when up.

Considering its a 1999 car. Its near perfect I believe. It has a governed speed of 158 mph but that's ok sense I do not race it. I'm told by pro drivers that feature can be tuned out if I want a great fun car and good road car as well.

Hate and love my car
By Countrygirl1988

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I bought my camaro in 2008 with 97,000 miles on it, I have put 117,000 on it in 2 yrs, in the 2 yrs of owning it I have replaced the rear end and the clutch, a/c refill, transmission lost 5th gear and it was the c clip fell off, and it blew a head gasket also had a lifter making noise, I paid $8,000 for it and have 12 in and it's broken down every summer the only time of the year I love to drive it the things I love about my car is the t-tops so easy to take off and throw in the trunk, looks, lot of get up n go, great handling, comfortable, I tell myself I am going to sell it after I fix it every time something goes wrong but then I drive it and I don't want to get rid of it, I love driving it too much

Body looks,the v6 has a lot of power, 5 speed, love love my T-Tops hate how the new ones don't have them, pretty much everything about it but only when it's running and Driving

Better transmission, better spider gears and all that in the rear end, hardly any room under the hood to get to anything, more foot room in the back seat, slight bit bigger trunk but all in all I love my car

This is not your father's Oldsmobile.
By JohnnyD

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Convertible

Ok kids. You probably don't even know what the review title means, sigh. Look it up. I bought mine new, 4/24/99. Only serious problem - annoying rear end noise, but I'll get that fixed someday. New Katskin Black (real black, not some misnamed gray) leather, new top, just had a repaint, incredible. Bought 99 'cause dealer said no more would be built. Wrong - three more years! However, I've had it for over 11 yrs and it can't be bought. Like my wife and kids, not perfect, but wouldn't trade for anything. Car has many imperfections, but like I said I wouldn't trade it for anything. Defines Bang for the Buck! Great performance, terrible comfort for an old guy, but I'll own it.

Performance, styling, convertible, manual transmission.

Seats, seats, seats! Rear end noise.

I am disgusted by this vehicle.
By shm86

1999 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

The camaro is fun to drive, when it's not stalled beside the road. Since I got the car in 2003 I've had to replace the 02 sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, alternator, timing belt, belt tensioner, catalytic converter, both window motors, battery, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and two 2 coils. Both visors have fallen out, roof is not sealed (I get wet when it rains) and water gets in the trunk. The CD player doesn't work anymore, all the speakers have failed, and the car stalls frequently and no one can figure out why. The car is so loud I can barely hear the radio. Oh, and my AC and Heat quit working too. I'm completely disgusted. But at least the car looks good.

Body styling.

Reliability, and better quality interior.