Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Brilliant Car
By Alan

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I had an old pickup before I owned this car. It got 6 miles to the gallon and I knew I couldn't go for some puny V6 something. After seeing one of my buddy's 2000 Camaro RS I knew it was what I was looking for. I then later found gas mileage was astounding for the Z28 style for the Camaro, considering the engine. The car has mechanical genius written underneath with the LS1 suspension proving nothing is too harsh. The 350 shows acceleration through any gear and no matter what you throw at it, it performance flawlessly.

Favorite Features

Two things: The engine and the LS1. Putting these together makes it a Camaro of its own.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger rotors and maybe some new interior material.

An Underated monster
By stephen Passio

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Throughout the time that I drove my Camaro, I have been nothing but impressed. It has been very reliable, I have had to do nothing to it but service it. It is a sharp looker, A head turner, and fairly comfortable. The interior makes you feel like you are in control of something major. As far as porformance goes, its a long way. The only car on the road you are going to meet that can pass you up is a 97 and up Corvette with a gutsy driver. Oh, and by the way, you can play with a Mustang Cobra without a worry in the world, its not even close. The harder you run this car, the better it performes.

Favorite Features

The LS1. Its awsome.

Suggested Improvements

Just keep packing on more power.

Purely Amazing
By Tim

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought used after experiencing buddies SS. Absolutely amazing the exhilarations that this car brings is like nothing I have ever experience. Straight ahead speed and if you lay off the gas through turns it corners better than any sports car on the road. With proper care this car will run for years. As for gas mileage you wouldn't even know that you had a v8 engine (low range from small tank)...plenty of power to get in and out of sticky situations...if you have the opportunity to get this vehicle get it and get it quickly. Don't worry about the resale value, you will not resell this car. Still get compliments on a weekly basis by all types of people...

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, t-tops, Amazingness of the LS1, compliments received, being thrown back when floored at 35mph (auto), the predictableness of the back end, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

All lighting electrics unreliable, GM rotors warp too easy, speakers not powerful enough for monsoon system, and thats it, oh and almost forgot, where's my low fuel light?

LS FUN!
By josh

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

So far I have had nothing go wrong with this car. This was and is my dream car, and every day I get in it I feel better than everyone else. I get the best mileage out of anyone else I know with a V8. I could get better if I drove it more conservatively, but that's not what I got this car for. The t-tops help with getting in and out, and the car just looks so good. Chevy couldn't top themselves on this one, so they stopped making them. If you're thinking about getting this car, stop thinking and go get it. Do yourself a favor and buy this car!

Favorite Features

POWER, 6 speed, looks really good with a couple minor modifications, fuel economy for a V8 is impressive, the upgradability for these is pretty good too, now that this car is almost 10 yrs old the aftermarket is cheap, too.

Suggested Improvements

I dont like the plastic interiors or the rattles the car makes sometimes, but installing a set of subframe connectors eliminates the rattles and squeaks for only about 150 bucks, and it handles better with them, too.

My Green Monster
By EE Geek

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought it new after lots of research. Wow! what a car! Gobs of horses - much more than GM specs. Excellent fuel economy - 30 mpg @ 80-85 mph (18 city). Great handling, yet doesn't wear tires very fast (40K miles per set of Z-rated). Cheap to maintain and absolutely no quality problems. Seats are the most comfortable of any car I've driven - 16 hour trip will not cause neck or back pain. Lots of features for my $22,300: ABS, Monsoon CD, cruise, fog lights, AC, power everything! Excellent dealer support. Mystic Teal color is a cop repellant - never had a ticket in 7 years. Great looks that aren't dated. Best engine of all time (LS1). Please bring it back GM!

Favorite Features

Awesome power! Fuel economy, styling, seat comfort, automatic headlights, 6-speed, stereo, matching tire size (allows rotation), dealer support, hi-tech engine, great overall quality, excellent paint quality, smooth braking, weight balance. No-compromise car!

Suggested Improvements

Minor propeller shaft vibration at high speed. It should have marketed more aggressively - might still be in production