Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Awesome Car
By Ashish

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 93K miles. 4 years later it has about 145K miles. In the past 4 years the only things I have replaced is a clutch and a window motor. This is one of the few cars that will pretty much pass everything on the road including the gas station. 11 years later the paint is still shiny, the dash has no cracks, the leather is not beat up. This car is a true testament to GM's build quality.

Favorite Features

T-tops, 6-speed, Monsoon Radio, LS1 5.7L, 24 MPG 60/40 highway/city driving

Suggested Improvements

T-top seals, rattles

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Hump on front passenger side, what design flaw.

Unbelievable
By Ollie

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I traded my Mustang GT for this car. I have always been a Mustang guy, and I've owned a few. I couldn't pass on this deal. This car is absolutely amazing. I cannot think of another car that can match the performace of this car for the price. Dollar per HP this car absolutley destroys the Mustang, you pick the year. Short of a supercharged Cobra it cannot be touched. And the SC Cobra better be careful because a slightly modified LS1 makes that a drives race. Stangs are OK but you'll go broke just trying get it to keep up with a stock LS1. No kidding this car literally will dominate 95 percent of the cars you run up against on the street.

Favorite Features

Performance hands down.

Suggested Improvements

Bump in the passenger floorboard is a little annoying. But then again I don't ride over there either.

Chevrolet at its most excellent
By NateMitch

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Excellent car. Very fun. When I purcased mine I had to change the fuel pump and the gas mileage after that was 24-30 cty-highwy. The car is awesome. You can tell with mine that there was little to no maintinance done to it, but it still is a very excellent car. All of the bugs were worked out in 1 1/2 months. It turned out to be an awesome car. Very fun to drive and reliable.

Favorite Features

V-8 engine has serious power. Doesn't take much to get the traction control to kick on

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank placement. You could make it easier to do work in the rear of the car

Amazing car
By Topher

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Great economy for a 5.7 liter LS1 V8. I averaged 17mpg and I drive "agressively." The sound system was great, and even with sort of higher mileage, nothing was wrong with the car. It had previously had some leakage at the rear end, but it was sealed and I never heard from it again.

Favorite Features

Monsoon sound, leather, 305 hp, (along with that V8 snarl) auto headlights

Suggested Improvements

Fix the seals on the windows. They leak bad in the car wash.