Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

my first car
By hockeystud99

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well i got my 1998 3.8l camaro for my 16th birthday, and have been driving it hard ever since. While i really wish i had the money to afford the z28 model, or a pontiac trans am, i am extremely happy with the performance of this car. For a v6, this car puts up numbers that you cant argue with. This thing will leave comparable v6 mustangs in the dust, and will AT LEAST keep up with the mustang gts from around this year. While its no ls1, the 3.8 in this camaro pulls very hard, and has great acceleration, and is a thrill to drive every time you are behind the wheel. With performance like this from the base model, i can barely imagine what it would be like to drive a v8 camaro.

Favorite Features

some of my favorite features include the stylish exterior design, the powerful yet efficient 3.8l v6, its ability to give you a thrill every time you get behind the wheel. also i forgot to mention that my camaro has 200,000+ miles and is still running strong. truly a piece of american engineering genius.

Suggested Improvements

exhaust modifications

Reliable, Fun, & Affordable Sports Car!
By Jozzy

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I wanted an affordable, fun sports car for the summer and I got all of that and more. I love driving my Camaro and the T-Tops are a unique feature that adds to the style. Although I have 180,000 miles on the car, it still runs great. The body is in mint condition and has held up better than any other '98 vehicle on the road today. I chose the base due to the great reputation of the 3.8L V6 engine. It is still responsive, good fuel economy, and a champion of an engine. If you don't know, Ward's Autoworld (and other reliable sources) rate GM's 3.8L V6 as one of the best engines ever built. No doubt, a good car for the money and everyone stares when I drive by.

Favorite Features

The 3.8L V6 engine, exterior styling, and the unique T-Tops. Also, I had purchased a set of 18" American Racing chrome wheels this summer and this car looks AMAZING. I got many compliments. TIP: 18" wheels are as big as you should go with this car. Anything larger doesn't look right.

Suggested Improvements

Be prepared to have your T-Tops leak in a car wash. Mine are not too bad, so I will hold a small hand towel to catch water in the two spots that I know it comes through at. The passenger seat, I hear, is not too comfortable. A small odd hump near the passengers leg space can be a bother to some.

FAST 3800 SERIES V-6
By JESSE

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I really enjoy driving this car, I refer to it as a poor mans corvette. I have taken it on long trips with relative comfort. I have had to repair the transmission, and have had trouble with the front suspension squeaking,no grease zerks!! but the V-6 is quick, will keep up with the 350 thru the 1/8 mile, I have done some modifications, a cold air induction system,and some performance chip's and still get 29 highway miles per gallon. alot of bang for the buck.....

Favorite Features

Sporty and fun to drive, a real head turner. not just another jelly bean car.Just mash the gas and pass,love it!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The car should have come equipped with grease zerks on the front and rear suspension, and a larger ash tray....

Great little car
By victim

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have loved Camaros ever since I was little. I own a '69, and a '98 Camaro. Anyways, the Camaro is a great car. I have found it very reliable, and it has a lot of power for the small engine. I have never had any problems with it, and after 93,000 miles, the clutch is still fine. If you like Camaros, I would definitely suggest getting one, even if it is a v6. You won't regret it.

Favorite Features

Easy to modify, and tons of options, and aftermarket parts (new intakes lids, camshafts, heads, ect) all for the v6, which is pretty nice.

Suggested Improvements

Not as low to the ground, or change the front spoiler in some way, I always scrape it on hills.

Fun? Of course, its a Camaro
By Baron3800

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Although on the hunt for an LS1 Z28 for my next car, my v6 3800 Camaro has been bullet proof and a very fun car to own. As a long time Camaro enthusiast, of course I modified mine and a new intake and cat-back really wake these v6'ers up. Also the handling is great and showing up even Mustang GT's in corners isnt difficult. And of course, the 3800 series II (10 best engine award winner) has been reliable as the day I bought it. Do not buy import trash and these fake sport compact cars, the v6 Camaro/Firebird is an insurance friendly sports car that has big aftermarket support and will get stares from many.

Favorite Features

Low slung body and wide stance make for good aerodynamics and great handling. Decent power for v6, easily modifiable. Great looks turns heads. T-tops are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials (5th gen will fix that)