1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
my first car
By hockeystud99 on 10/15/12 20:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well i got my 1998 3.8l camaro for my 16th birthday, and have been driving it hard ever since. While i really wish i had the money to afford the z28 model, or a pontiac trans am, i am extremely happy with the performance of this car. For a v6, this car puts up numbers that you cant argue with. This thing will leave comparable v6 mustangs in the dust, and will AT LEAST keep up with the mustang gts from around this year. While its no ls1, the 3.8 in this camaro pulls very hard, and has great acceleration, and is a thrill to drive every time you are behind the wheel. With performance like this from the base model, i can barely imagine what it would be like to drive a v8 camaro.

Reliable, Fun, & Affordable Sports Car!
By Jozzy on 11/22/09 11:50 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I wanted an affordable, fun sports car for the summer and I got all of that and more. I love driving my Camaro and the T-Tops are a unique feature that adds to the style. Although I have 180,000 miles on the car, it still runs great. The body is in mint condition and has held up better than any other '98 vehicle on the road today. I chose the base due to the great reputation of the 3.8L V6 engine. It is still responsive, good fuel economy, and a champion of an engine. If you don't know, Ward's Autoworld (and other reliable sources) rate GM's 3.8L V6 as one of the best engines ever built. No doubt, a good car for the money and everyone stares when I drive by.

Awesome Car
By Ashish on 11/10/09 08:43 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 93K miles. 4 years later it has about 145K miles. In the past 4 years the only things I have replaced is a clutch and a window motor. This is one of the few cars that will pretty much pass everything on the road including the gas station. 11 years later the paint is still shiny, the dash has no cracks, the leather is not beat up. This car is a true testament to GM's build quality.

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28 on 08/06/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

FAST 3800 SERIES V-6
By JESSE on 06/11/09 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I really enjoy driving this car, I refer to it as a poor mans corvette. I have taken it on long trips with relative comfort. I have had to repair the transmission, and have had trouble with the front suspension squeaking,no grease zerks!! but the V-6 is quick, will keep up with the 350 thru the 1/8 mile, I have done some modifications, a cold air induction system,and some performance chip's and still get 29 highway miles per gallon. alot of bang for the buck.....

Unbelievable
By Ollie on 09/14/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I traded my Mustang GT for this car. I have always been a Mustang guy, and I've owned a few. I couldn't pass on this deal. This car is absolutely amazing. I cannot think of another car that can match the performace of this car for the price. Dollar per HP this car absolutley destroys the Mustang, you pick the year. Short of a supercharged Cobra it cannot be touched. And the SC Cobra better be careful because a slightly modified LS1 makes that a drives race. Stangs are OK but you'll go broke just trying get it to keep up with a stock LS1. No kidding this car literally will dominate 95 percent of the cars you run up against on the street.

Chevrolet at its most excellent
By NateMitch on 05/16/07 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Excellent car. Very fun. When I purcased mine I had to change the fuel pump and the gas mileage after that was 24-30 cty-highwy. The car is awesome. You can tell with mine that there was little to no maintinance done to it, but it still is a very excellent car. All of the bugs were worked out in 1 1/2 months. It turned out to be an awesome car. Very fun to drive and reliable.

Amazing car
By Topher on 10/08/06 02:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Great economy for a 5.7 liter LS1 V8. I averaged 17mpg and I drive "agressively." The sound system was great, and even with sort of higher mileage, nothing was wrong with the car. It had previously had some leakage at the rear end, but it was sealed and I never heard from it again.

Brilliant Car
By Alan on 06/14/06 00:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I had an old pickup before I owned this car. It got 6 miles to the gallon and I knew I couldn't go for some puny V6 something. After seeing one of my buddy's 2000 Camaro RS I knew it was what I was looking for. I then later found gas mileage was astounding for the Z28 style for the Camaro, considering the engine. The car has mechanical genius written underneath with the LS1 suspension proving nothing is too harsh. The 350 shows acceleration through any gear and no matter what you throw at it, it performance flawlessly.

An Underated monster
By stephen Passio on 02/12/06 08:05 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Throughout the time that I drove my Camaro, I have been nothing but impressed. It has been very reliable, I have had to do nothing to it but service it. It is a sharp looker, A head turner, and fairly comfortable. The interior makes you feel like you are in control of something major. As far as porformance goes, its a long way. The only car on the road you are going to meet that can pass you up is a 97 and up Corvette with a gutsy driver. Oh, and by the way, you can play with a Mustang Cobra without a worry in the world, its not even close. The harder you run this car, the better it performes.