Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

my first car
By hockeystud99

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well i got my 1998 3.8l camaro for my 16th birthday, and have been driving it hard ever since. While i really wish i had the money to afford the z28 model, or a pontiac trans am, i am extremely happy with the performance of this car. For a v6, this car puts up numbers that you cant argue with. This thing will leave comparable v6 mustangs in the dust, and will AT LEAST keep up with the mustang gts from around this year. While its no ls1, the 3.8 in this camaro pulls very hard, and has great acceleration, and is a thrill to drive every time you are behind the wheel. With performance like this from the base model, i can barely imagine what it would be like to drive a v8 camaro.

some of my favorite features include the stylish exterior design, the powerful yet efficient 3.8l v6, its ability to give you a thrill every time you get behind the wheel. also i forgot to mention that my camaro has 200,000+ miles and is still running strong. truly a piece of american engineering genius.

exhaust modifications

Reliable, Fun, & Affordable Sports Car!
By Jozzy

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I wanted an affordable, fun sports car for the summer and I got all of that and more. I love driving my Camaro and the T-Tops are a unique feature that adds to the style. Although I have 180,000 miles on the car, it still runs great. The body is in mint condition and has held up better than any other '98 vehicle on the road today. I chose the base due to the great reputation of the 3.8L V6 engine. It is still responsive, good fuel economy, and a champion of an engine. If you don't know, Ward's Autoworld (and other reliable sources) rate GM's 3.8L V6 as one of the best engines ever built. No doubt, a good car for the money and everyone stares when I drive by.

The 3.8L V6 engine, exterior styling, and the unique T-Tops. Also, I had purchased a set of 18" American Racing chrome wheels this summer and this car looks AMAZING. I got many compliments. TIP: 18" wheels are as big as you should go with this car. Anything larger doesn't look right.

Be prepared to have your T-Tops leak in a car wash. Mine are not too bad, so I will hold a small hand towel to catch water in the two spots that I know it comes through at. The passenger seat, I hear, is not too comfortable. A small odd hump near the passengers leg space can be a bother to some.

Awesome Car
By Ashish

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 93K miles. 4 years later it has about 145K miles. In the past 4 years the only things I have replaced is a clutch and a window motor. This is one of the few cars that will pretty much pass everything on the road including the gas station. 11 years later the paint is still shiny, the dash has no cracks, the leather is not beat up. This car is a true testament to GM's build quality.

T-tops, 6-speed, Monsoon Radio, LS1 5.7L, 24 MPG 60/40 highway/city driving

T-top seals, rattles

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

Power

Hump on front passenger side, what design flaw.

FAST 3800 SERIES V-6
By JESSE

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I really enjoy driving this car, I refer to it as a poor mans corvette. I have taken it on long trips with relative comfort. I have had to repair the transmission, and have had trouble with the front suspension squeaking,no grease zerks!! but the V-6 is quick, will keep up with the 350 thru the 1/8 mile, I have done some modifications, a cold air induction system,and some performance chip's and still get 29 highway miles per gallon. alot of bang for the buck.....

Sporty and fun to drive, a real head turner. not just another jelly bean car.Just mash the gas and pass,love it!!!!!!

The car should have come equipped with grease zerks on the front and rear suspension, and a larger ash tray....