Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

1998 Chevrolet Z28 Camaro
By z28you

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1998 Z28 in 2012, it had 120,000 miles on the clock, first impression was "I like the power!" Had to replace warped rotors/new pads/front wheel bearings/steering knuckle/tie-rods. The prior owner had taken relativity good care of her, average wear and tear for a 15 year old car @ the time. Leather seats are comfortable, even on trips/daily driver. Gas MPG very good for 2014 (considering it's a V8) even 20+ hwy- 17+ city driving. One of the best Camaro Z28's GM Chevrolet has ever produced! IMO. My old Z28 was a -1986 Z28 IROC-Z- 305 T.P.I., this 1998 Z28 350 M.P.F.I would suck the windshield out of my old IROC-Z...very e-Zilly =) Find a maintained one, you'll thank me.

Favorite Features

LS1 with the T56 Manual 6 speed with T-Tops is the only way to go with this car. You feel like a pilot ready to blast off, the car's interior is like a cockpit- some people complain, but I like it-I can reach everything easily, seats are electric (so are the mirrors + door locks+ windows) and adjustable-leather seats are comfortable and support you well. No nav/tv screens but, dual lighter sockets, good cupholders, ashtray in a decent spot and a fully down folding rear seat back keeps this Z pretty and functional to boot! Good cargo space. If you want luxury and accoutrements than this is NOT your car, if you want a sleek, reliable, FAST car that will hold it's own, even today, buy it!

Suggested Improvements

Not too many I can think of besides the "bump" in the front passenger floor. A lot of cheaper plastic parts (easily cracked/breakable interior parts) these could have been made a little stronger/thicker, but I guess it saves weight. Yeah that's about it.

my first car
By hockeystud99

1998 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Well i got my 1998 3.8l camaro for my 16th birthday, and have been driving it hard ever since. While i really wish i had the money to afford the z28 model, or a pontiac trans am, i am extremely happy with the performance of this car. For a v6, this car puts up numbers that you cant argue with. This thing will leave comparable v6 mustangs in the dust, and will AT LEAST keep up with the mustang gts from around this year. While its no ls1, the 3.8 in this camaro pulls very hard, and has great acceleration, and is a thrill to drive every time you are behind the wheel. With performance like this from the base model, i can barely imagine what it would be like to drive a v8 camaro.

Favorite Features

some of my favorite features include the stylish exterior design, the powerful yet efficient 3.8l v6, its ability to give you a thrill every time you get behind the wheel. also i forgot to mention that my camaro has 200,000+ miles and is still running strong. truly a piece of american engineering genius.

Suggested Improvements

exhaust modifications

Reliable, Fun, & Affordable Sports Car!
By Jozzy

1998 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I wanted an affordable, fun sports car for the summer and I got all of that and more. I love driving my Camaro and the T-Tops are a unique feature that adds to the style. Although I have 180,000 miles on the car, it still runs great. The body is in mint condition and has held up better than any other '98 vehicle on the road today. I chose the base due to the great reputation of the 3.8L V6 engine. It is still responsive, good fuel economy, and a champion of an engine. If you don't know, Ward's Autoworld (and other reliable sources) rate GM's 3.8L V6 as one of the best engines ever built. No doubt, a good car for the money and everyone stares when I drive by.

Favorite Features

The 3.8L V6 engine, exterior styling, and the unique T-Tops. Also, I had purchased a set of 18" American Racing chrome wheels this summer and this car looks AMAZING. I got many compliments. TIP: 18" wheels are as big as you should go with this car. Anything larger doesn't look right.

Suggested Improvements

Be prepared to have your T-Tops leak in a car wash. Mine are not too bad, so I will hold a small hand towel to catch water in the two spots that I know it comes through at. The passenger seat, I hear, is not too comfortable. A small odd hump near the passengers leg space can be a bother to some.

Awesome Car
By Ashish

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 93K miles. 4 years later it has about 145K miles. In the past 4 years the only things I have replaced is a clutch and a window motor. This is one of the few cars that will pretty much pass everything on the road including the gas station. 11 years later the paint is still shiny, the dash has no cracks, the leather is not beat up. This car is a true testament to GM's build quality.

Favorite Features

T-tops, 6-speed, Monsoon Radio, LS1 5.7L, 24 MPG 60/40 highway/city driving

Suggested Improvements

T-top seals, rattles

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Hump on front passenger side, what design flaw.