Never get tired of driving it
By Bryan Mills on
1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe
If you don't like a sports car, don't get this car. You will hate it due to the low ride and poor visibility compared to a commuter car. I ordered my car from dealer new because I wanted all options except for T-tops (no truck room due to holders), chrome wheels (trows weights with hard driving) and upgraded stereo (put in aftermarket unit). Almost all dealer ordered cars have T-tops. My roomate bought the exact same car but he went with the V8. So I can also rate his as well. Mine now has 35,000 miles, his has 145,000. I drive this car real hard on occasion. Roomate babies his ride. Both cars are driven in NH winters with no traction problems thanks to the limited slip differential.
Favorite Features
Solid car, no rattles. Nice firm ride not harsh like Camaros from the 70's. Roomate's car still rides as smoooth and queit as mine even with 110,000 miles more. I get 27MPG he gets 25MPG average. Electronics controls on everything from interior lighting to the engine is first rate.
Suggested Improvements
Problems: Original factory brakes won't stop in heavy rain. Replaced them with ceramics,now have no problem. V6 should come with a supercharger option to get something in between V6 and V8 power. Bring back the 1997 hood; it looked meaner. Add dust covers to the brakes so wheels won't get dirty.