Used 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Great Car
By Ron

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

The 1997 Camaro RS is a very reliable car. I've had no problems mechanically or cosmetically. All it takes is some great care to keep any car in great shape. Definitely recommend this Camaro.

Favorite Features

The 3800 Series II V6 provides a lot of go with the economy of a V6. Gas prices aren't too outrageous and has a good amount of horsepower especially with an intake and exhaust system.

Do not recommend a GM V6!
By Bob

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

The car has no mechanical problems (thank god), but the comfort on the car is real bad. I can feel every small bump on the road and really hard to get off most of the times. The stereo system is nothing to talk about. The car is not a good driver on rain, the brakes lock up all the time. The interior is really not very good quality. The clutch pedal is far to reach, and I am 5foot7. I do not recommend this car to anybody, an automatic would be much better.

Favorite Features

Driving it on weekends.Good engine and transmission quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling on rain. Hatchback takes up a lot of space. No back seat room.

97 SS
By Carlton

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

Its garage mate is a 2003 Quick Silver Z06. The SS is probably the more fun to drive. It is pure seat of the pants driving where the Z06 is power and technology. It is as much fun today as it was driving it off the showroom floor. Additions/changes include Goodyear F1 GSD3s, shock tower brace, subframe connectors, underdrive pulley, K&N air filter, etc.

Favorite Features

6-speed, T-Tops and a 6 CD changer. What more need I say?

Suggested Improvements

None

Never get tired of driving it
By Bryan Mills

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

If you don't like a sports car, don't get this car. You will hate it due to the low ride and poor visibility compared to a commuter car. I ordered my car from dealer new because I wanted all options except for T-tops (no truck room due to holders), chrome wheels (trows weights with hard driving) and upgraded stereo (put in aftermarket unit). Almost all dealer ordered cars have T-tops. My roomate bought the exact same car but he went with the V8. So I can also rate his as well. Mine now has 35,000 miles, his has 145,000. I drive this car real hard on occasion. Roomate babies his ride. Both cars are driven in NH winters with no traction problems thanks to the limited slip differential.

Favorite Features

Solid car, no rattles. Nice firm ride not harsh like Camaros from the 70's. Roomate's car still rides as smoooth and queit as mine even with 110,000 miles more. I get 27MPG he gets 25MPG average. Electronics controls on everything from interior lighting to the engine is first rate.

Suggested Improvements

Problems: Original factory brakes won't stop in heavy rain. Replaced them with ceramics,now have no problem. V6 should come with a supercharger option to get something in between V6 and V8 power. Bring back the 1997 hood; it looked meaner. Add dust covers to the brakes so wheels won't get dirty.

Wow
By charles

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first car and I have to say that it was an excellent choice. I picked my slightly used 1997 Camaro RS for $10,000 with low mileage. And I have to say it has been amazing. I have never had it break down, it is very fast, and very eye catching. I have people telling me how beautiful my car is and they love the color, and the way it looks. The interior is not that bad, when you do some work to it its amazing. The AC control knobs happen to be clear underneath so you can take off the grey housing and the knobs will be clear, also just about all the accents can be taken off and painted to match the color of the car. Leather is a must for this car though.

Favorite Features

Engine. It maybe a V6, but is very powerful. I have raced at local drag strips and beaten V8 Mustangs.