Used 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

1997 Camaro Z28 30th anniversary (z4c)
By racerbane09

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

i was searching on craigslist for a t-top z28, 93-97 body style since imo looks the meanest of all the camaros. when i ran into a white with hugger orange stripes z28 coupe. i checked it out in person and i was stunned at how cool it looked! ....tho its an old car, i have had plenty of people old and young tell me how cool my car is. tho the best complement was indirect by a kid, "cool mom look i want a car like that". .. performance wise car deff puts me back in my seat the auto is very responsive and car is just a head turner even with the imperfect paint and stripes. bought for 5400 and has been an awsome purchase so far only problems besides cosmetics are a bad radiator cap, later radi

there is no hesitation when passing a slower car in front of me, or a couple semi trucks, haha!!

check radiator! and dashes are usually cracked. also cd player is in the back! WTF!! whos idea in gm was that..

Beware the T-Tops!
By CamaroGuy

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

The GM purists claim the brand died out because of this new body style. This may be true, but as an owner of a 1986 and a 1997, this new design is a classic look nowadays. I get tons of looks in my screaming red ride. I am constantly asked what year it is...how big's the motr and such. The car is a blast to drive, but is not intended for comfort if you are over 5 foot 9. The only glaring problems is that the T-tops leak and the front side markers and fog lamps go bad quickly and are a pain to trouble shoot by the owner. My interior is ruined by the constant leaking of the T-tops, but I take the good with the bad. As a bonus, nothing rattles when you put a powerful system with 800w subs in it!

Sleek look, Hatchback is a favorite for powerful subs, low profile.

Better T-top gaskets, fog lamps set in the grille need to be less apt to corrosion.

These 5.7's are monsters.
By The Z28 Guy

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Simply an awesome car. The 5.7's are torque monsters and are very fast for a 1997 muscle car. LT1's have more torque as compared to the LS1's higher top end, but if you ask me, I'de take torque over top end any day. Replaced water pump, optispark, and starter which is completely understandable. Put on aftermarket cold air intake, throttle body, headers and exhaust which unleashed the true beast under the hood. After putting on bolt on's I began using Castrol EDGE and it went from 288 HP to 318 HP on the dyno. If you want to help the 5.7 breath better and reach it's full potential than it is a must to put on a top of the line cold air and exhaust. Find one that is well maintained and buy it!

The power of the 5.7

No gas warning light- inconsistent gas gauge. But who really cares about that- lets face it, this is not a family car.

97 30th anniversary 2d coupe.
By Big Country

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. The 3.8 combined with the 5spd tranny is awesome. I had a lot of doubts b4 I bought the car about the power but let me tell you, that v6 will put you back in the chair. I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great buy.

EVERYTHING!!!

Wish I would've got t-tops. Maybe a charger or turbo to come standard.

My son's first car -- I'm not crazy
By Hawaiidad

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought it for my 17 year old, he loves it, his friends think I rock. They all drive foreign econoboxes or mom's hand-me-down. He now loves classic American sports cars. V6/auto, 29mpg, and insurance only went up $31/month. I had to replace water pump ($47) and front turn signal lens after shopping cart hit it -- parts easy and cheap online. What other 10-year old car can you buy for a teenager that he wouldn't trade for anything except a Vette?

Styling, lineage, gas mileage, performance amazing for V6, link to Chevy muscle cars of the past.

Shoulder belt height adjustments