Used 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

1997 Camaro Z28 30th anniversary (z4c)
By racerbane09

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

i was searching on craigslist for a t-top z28, 93-97 body style since imo looks the meanest of all the camaros. when i ran into a white with hugger orange stripes z28 coupe. i checked it out in person and i was stunned at how cool it looked! ....tho its an old car, i have had plenty of people old and young tell me how cool my car is. tho the best complement was indirect by a kid, "cool mom look i want a car like that". .. performance wise car deff puts me back in my seat the auto is very responsive and car is just a head turner even with the imperfect paint and stripes. bought for 5400 and has been an awsome purchase so far only problems besides cosmetics are a bad radiator cap, later radi

Favorite Features

there is no hesitation when passing a slower car in front of me, or a couple semi trucks, haha!!

Suggested Improvements

check radiator! and dashes are usually cracked. also cd player is in the back! WTF!! whos idea in gm was that..

These 5.7's are monsters.
By The Z28 Guy

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Simply an awesome car. The 5.7's are torque monsters and are very fast for a 1997 muscle car. LT1's have more torque as compared to the LS1's higher top end, but if you ask me, I'de take torque over top end any day. Replaced water pump, optispark, and starter which is completely understandable. Put on aftermarket cold air intake, throttle body, headers and exhaust which unleashed the true beast under the hood. After putting on bolt on's I began using Castrol EDGE and it went from 288 HP to 318 HP on the dyno. If you want to help the 5.7 breath better and reach it's full potential than it is a must to put on a top of the line cold air and exhaust. Find one that is well maintained and buy it!

Favorite Features

The power of the 5.7

Suggested Improvements

No gas warning light- inconsistent gas gauge. But who really cares about that- lets face it, this is not a family car.

Impressed!
By Karma

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Not the most comfortable car. Definitely not for long road trips. Overall it's great car. We bought it from a college student who didn't know what he had. We took her in and have begun restoration. With an all new cooling system in place this car drives like an all american muscle car should. It has a growl all it's own. Clutch is a little far for someone in short stature (I'm 5'8") but it is worth the thrill.

Favorite Features

12 CD disc changer, 6 speed, T- tops, and it's a Chevy. Very easy to DIY.

Suggested Improvements

None

Closet thing to a Corvette
By Mr. Hamm

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

This is my second Camaro. My first was a 1996 V6. Always wanted a Z28 every since I drove my friends '94. Don't let the age of these cars fool you, because the Z28's are still one of the meanest cars on the road. I still get the adrenaline rush everytime I floor it. If you're looking for an everyday driver, then you might want to buy an Accord or Camry. If you're looking for horsepower and speed, then this is the car for you. Glad to hear that GM will be bringing the Camaro back in 2009. Wish it was sooner.

Favorite Features

LT1 V8. C4 Corvette style factory exhaust tips. Sound, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure if any thought went into the design of the engine compartment. The hump on the passenger floorboard looks unsightly. Trying to clean the inside of the windshield is a chore due to the enormous dash. I hope GM doesn't mess up the 2009 Camaro.

Camaro Z-28
By mandoz28

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

by far the best car on the road. hands down, no questions, period

Favorite Features

the LT-1 engine

Suggested Improvements

make a fifth generation