1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
Beware the T-Tops!
By CamaroGuy on 12/12/09 18:51 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

The GM purists claim the brand died out because of this new body style. This may be true, but as an owner of a 1986 and a 1997, this new design is a classic look nowadays. I get tons of looks in my screaming red ride. I am constantly asked what year it is...how big's the motr and such. The car is a blast to drive, but is not intended for comfort if you are over 5 foot 9. The only glaring problems is that the T-tops leak and the front side markers and fog lamps go bad quickly and are a pain to trouble shoot by the owner. My interior is ruined by the constant leaking of the T-tops, but I take the good with the bad. As a bonus, nothing rattles when you put a powerful system with 800w subs in it!

97 30th anniversary 2d coupe.
By Big Country on 10/14/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. The 3.8 combined with the 5spd tranny is awesome. I had a lot of doubts b4 I bought the car about the power but let me tell you, that v6 will put you back in the chair. I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great buy.

182,000 miles and going strong
By ssbn622 on 06/03/08 01:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car was my wife's daily commuter for 8 years at over 100 miles a day freeway miles. Then it was my daughter's for three years, now it's mine to restore. Other than a new tranny at 150,000 miles it has been unbeatable for reliability. This car still moves when you put the pedal down, recommended to anyone who still relishes driving!

The Best
By ann haley on 03/30/06 05:10 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Exceptional handling due to limited slip differential and performance handling pkg. Effortless to drive and shift. Power was always there when I needed it. The absolute best driving experience I have ever had. Couldn't help but smile every time she took a curve; the control you could always count on. Love the look of the 97. Problems - leaky transmission seal-GM Fixed. Spark plug wires - I fixed before the notice from GM regarding the problem. Transmission noise at around 50,000+ miles which the warranty should have covered but Wyler's warranty would not due to dispute between dealer that fixed problem and Wyler's warranty - I had to pay. Still, I adore that car! Hands down - the best!

Never get tired of driving it
By Bryan Mills on 05/18/05 17:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

If you don't like a sports car, don't get this car. You will hate it due to the low ride and poor visibility compared to a commuter car. I ordered my car from dealer new because I wanted all options except for T-tops (no truck room due to holders), chrome wheels (trows weights with hard driving) and upgraded stereo (put in aftermarket unit). Almost all dealer ordered cars have T-tops. My roomate bought the exact same car but he went with the V8. So I can also rate his as well. Mine now has 35,000 miles, his has 145,000. I drive this car real hard on occasion. Roomate babies his ride. Both cars are driven in NH winters with no traction problems thanks to the limited slip differential.

There are better cars out there
By Nate B on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

well this car is pretty suprising in the power department w/ 200 hp/tq. Terrible handling car in every situation but the sun. very light backend so its easy to slip on just about everything. i got car w/ 20000 miles on it and had lots of problems and replacement parts. decent gas mileage. actually can carry alot of cargo (very suprising). dont try to take road trip in this car. very uncomfortable for long periods of time. backseats are pretty much useless and uncomfortable. read on

Great First Car
By PrincessEL on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I got this brand new in Oct. '96 and it was my first car. I could not have asked for a better one. I just traded it in for an Explorer because I wanted more room and a higher view, but I miss the great speed and fun of driving it. Mine Camaro was red and I got compliments up to the day I traded it in. It got nice fuel milage for a sports car, was very dependable, the driver's seat was compfortable, and it was one of the best looking cars on the road. I would recommend this car b/c I wish that I still had mine. Thanks for the great memories Chevrolet. I would not have bought a Ford, except the prices were too good.

Camaro V6
By NinoK on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Have owned my Camaro for just over 6 years, and never had any noteworthy problems. Among favorite features: sporty looks and affordable price. On the downside, car feels very heavy, and is not much fun to drive. Still arguably one of the best bangs for the money – and if I had to do it again (with my finances six years ago, and my ownership experience six years after), I would buy it no questions asked.

Best Car in Town
By go3wide on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This is the second of two Camaros I have had the pleasure of owning. The first was a Z28 (with the LT1), this a standard coupe (with the L36 V6). Both are a pleasure to drive. The L36 is surprisingly powerful even at the factory rated 200hp at the flywheel and 3.08 rear. Both cars have the 4L60E 4 speed automatic trannine, that has near perfect shift, especially at WOT. The L36 car has the increased benefit of bieng more inexpensive to maintain and insure, and still is a head turner at the car show and at the track. Both cars have plenty of aftermarket and custom performace products that they can share with the obvious exception being the motor.

Awesome
By Crystal Clear on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I haven't had any problems out of my camaro at all. It has been an excellent vehicle. It is very sporty and fun to drive. It's pretty good on gas too. It's been a reliable car. I wouldn't own anything but a Chevy after owning this particular vehicle. I am totally satisfied with my purchase. Thanks