Used 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Beware the T-Tops!
By CamaroGuy

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

The GM purists claim the brand died out because of this new body style. This may be true, but as an owner of a 1986 and a 1997, this new design is a classic look nowadays. I get tons of looks in my screaming red ride. I am constantly asked what year it is...how big's the motr and such. The car is a blast to drive, but is not intended for comfort if you are over 5 foot 9. The only glaring problems is that the T-tops leak and the front side markers and fog lamps go bad quickly and are a pain to trouble shoot by the owner. My interior is ruined by the constant leaking of the T-tops, but I take the good with the bad. As a bonus, nothing rattles when you put a powerful system with 800w subs in it!

Favorite Features

Sleek look, Hatchback is a favorite for powerful subs, low profile.

Suggested Improvements

Better T-top gaskets, fog lamps set in the grille need to be less apt to corrosion.

97 30th anniversary 2d coupe.
By Big Country

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. The 3.8 combined with the 5spd tranny is awesome. I had a lot of doubts b4 I bought the car about the power but let me tell you, that v6 will put you back in the chair. I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great buy.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!!!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I would've got t-tops. Maybe a charger or turbo to come standard.

182,000 miles and going strong
By ssbn622

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car was my wife's daily commuter for 8 years at over 100 miles a day freeway miles. Then it was my daughter's for three years, now it's mine to restore. Other than a new tranny at 150,000 miles it has been unbeatable for reliability. This car still moves when you put the pedal down, recommended to anyone who still relishes driving!

Favorite Features

Wide tires on all four corners and a tight suspension makes this a monster on winding roads!

Suggested Improvements

Entire body should be composite plastic like the front end.

The Best
By ann haley

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Exceptional handling due to limited slip differential and performance handling pkg. Effortless to drive and shift. Power was always there when I needed it. The absolute best driving experience I have ever had. Couldn't help but smile every time she took a curve; the control you could always count on. Love the look of the 97. Problems - leaky transmission seal-GM Fixed. Spark plug wires - I fixed before the notice from GM regarding the problem. Transmission noise at around 50,000+ miles which the warranty should have covered but Wyler's warranty would not due to dispute between dealer that fixed problem and Wyler's warranty - I had to pay. Still, I adore that car! Hands down - the best!

Favorite Features

Limited slip differential. I travelled through ice and snow - no problem. T-Tops; nothing like a sunny day and the T's off. Position of the drivers seat - just low enough that your hand perfectly extended to the gear shift. The feeling of being in a jet fighter cockpit. Perfection in motion.

Suggested Improvements

None. I love everyting about this car just the way she is.

Never get tired of driving it
By Bryan Mills

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

If you don't like a sports car, don't get this car. You will hate it due to the low ride and poor visibility compared to a commuter car. I ordered my car from dealer new because I wanted all options except for T-tops (no truck room due to holders), chrome wheels (trows weights with hard driving) and upgraded stereo (put in aftermarket unit). Almost all dealer ordered cars have T-tops. My roomate bought the exact same car but he went with the V8. So I can also rate his as well. Mine now has 35,000 miles, his has 145,000. I drive this car real hard on occasion. Roomate babies his ride. Both cars are driven in NH winters with no traction problems thanks to the limited slip differential.

Favorite Features

Solid car, no rattles. Nice firm ride not harsh like Camaros from the 70's. Roomate's car still rides as smoooth and queit as mine even with 110,000 miles more. I get 27MPG he gets 25MPG average. Electronics controls on everything from interior lighting to the engine is first rate.

Suggested Improvements

Problems: Original factory brakes won't stop in heavy rain. Replaced them with ceramics,now have no problem. V6 should come with a supercharger option to get something in between V6 and V8 power. Bring back the 1997 hood; it looked meaner. Add dust covers to the brakes so wheels won't get dirty.