1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
1997 Camaro Z28 30th anniversary (z4c)
By racerbane09 on 10/01/12 20:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

i was searching on craigslist for a t-top z28, 93-97 body style since imo looks the meanest of all the camaros. when i ran into a white with hugger orange stripes z28 coupe. i checked it out in person and i was stunned at how cool it looked! ....tho its an old car, i have had plenty of people old and young tell me how cool my car is. tho the best complement was indirect by a kid, "cool mom look i want a car like that". .. performance wise car deff puts me back in my seat the auto is very responsive and car is just a head turner even with the imperfect paint and stripes. bought for 5400 and has been an awsome purchase so far only problems besides cosmetics are a bad radiator cap, later radi

Beware the T-Tops!
By CamaroGuy on 12/12/09 18:51 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

The GM purists claim the brand died out because of this new body style. This may be true, but as an owner of a 1986 and a 1997, this new design is a classic look nowadays. I get tons of looks in my screaming red ride. I am constantly asked what year it is...how big's the motr and such. The car is a blast to drive, but is not intended for comfort if you are over 5 foot 9. The only glaring problems is that the T-tops leak and the front side markers and fog lamps go bad quickly and are a pain to trouble shoot by the owner. My interior is ruined by the constant leaking of the T-tops, but I take the good with the bad. As a bonus, nothing rattles when you put a powerful system with 800w subs in it!

These 5.7's are monsters.
By The Z28 Guy on 11/25/09 17:59 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Simply an awesome car. The 5.7's are torque monsters and are very fast for a 1997 muscle car. LT1's have more torque as compared to the LS1's higher top end, but if you ask me, I'de take torque over top end any day. Replaced water pump, optispark, and starter which is completely understandable. Put on aftermarket cold air intake, throttle body, headers and exhaust which unleashed the true beast under the hood. After putting on bolt on's I began using Castrol EDGE and it went from 288 HP to 318 HP on the dyno. If you want to help the 5.7 breath better and reach it's full potential than it is a must to put on a top of the line cold air and exhaust. Find one that is well maintained and buy it!

97 30th anniversary 2d coupe.
By Big Country on 10/14/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. The 3.8 combined with the 5spd tranny is awesome. I had a lot of doubts b4 I bought the car about the power but let me tell you, that v6 will put you back in the chair. I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great buy.

Looking for another one
By Gene Anniversary SS on 06/29/09 18:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I traded my one year old 1996 Z28 for the spectacular white with Huggar orange striped 1997 Anniversary SS 6 speed coupe. It had all SLP options sans the extra set of racing wheels that had slicks. With only 3k miles on the car, I decided to install the GMPP LT4 Hot Cam Kit with a set pf ported heads and JBA headers. Got a custom tune for the cam. WOW. That was one hot, quick and beautiful SS. I sold this car only a couple years after buying it to get the new SVT F150 Lightning. I am now waxing nostalgic for another 97 LT1 SS. I've already got my eyes on one that is low mileage. If you want the ultimate 97 SS, look for the limited 100 produced SS with the LT4 engine. Those were $40 grand.

Very Fun Car
By TomcatMF on 04/22/09 11:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

This car is a blast to drive. The acceleration is tremendous, and I love the beefy exhaust note. The stock brakes were a little wanting so I upgraded to a Baer 6 piston system with bigger rotors. The engine is totally bullet proof, but just about everything else on the car has had to be fixed after 141,000 miles (Radiator, water pump, Rear axle, clutch, brakes, master cylinder) But despite all of that, I still love this car

The Camaro SS is a modern classic!!
By Hunter on 09/02/08 22:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

I have had my Camaro SS for almsot 8 years and it still puts a smile on my face! The SS makes a statement whereever it goes. I have spent a small fortune modifying my car but that has always been the beauity of GM performance cars, ample aftermarket parts available. The SS gives the exotic car looks without carrying the exotic car price tag or hefty repair bills!

My son's first car -- I'm not crazy
By Hawaiidad on 07/28/08 00:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I bought it for my 17 year old, he loves it, his friends think I rock. They all drive foreign econoboxes or mom's hand-me-down. He now loves classic American sports cars. V6/auto, 29mpg, and insurance only went up $31/month. I had to replace water pump ($47) and front turn signal lens after shopping cart hit it -- parts easy and cheap online. What other 10-year old car can you buy for a teenager that he wouldn't trade for anything except a Vette?

182,000 miles and going strong
By ssbn622 on 06/03/08 01:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This car was my wife's daily commuter for 8 years at over 100 miles a day freeway miles. Then it was my daughter's for three years, now it's mine to restore. Other than a new tranny at 150,000 miles it has been unbeatable for reliability. This car still moves when you put the pedal down, recommended to anyone who still relishes driving!

Great Car
By Jessi on 05/23/08 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Convertible

My first car, 1997 Camaro Z28 V8 convertible, could not have asked for a better first car! It's been very reliable, head-turner, steering is smooth, handles great in rain and ice, only problems I ever had were with the windows but a simple motor problem, was easy to fix. The alternator needed to be replaced at 135,000 miles, but that was simple as well. And the black ragtop started to fade from the sun but treating it with oils brought back the black. Very fun to drive, was quick to get out of the way of bad drivers, roughly 18-22 city, 29 highway. Manufacturers sound system was excellent.