Used 1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Sad to see the ol' girl go
By Princess Pamela

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my car right after college and it has seen me through the years. It has been the best! No problems other than usual wear and tear...water pump, alternator, plugs, window motor, front spoiler. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves an affordable, fun sporty car. I have decided to buy an SUV because of the nature of my job- having to transport bulky computers, etc... I would keep her til' she fell apart if not. No one can believe the car is a '96...it still looks that good!

Suggested Improvements

Different design for front spoiler and safer handling in the rain.

Good Bye-Old Friend
By coastalp

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

This week, I must get rid of my baby. I've put 175K miles on her. I lived thru her recall for the front spoiler and many repairs that were covered b/c I was smart enough to have bought the extended warranty. But, I'll NEVER buy another GM car b/c I had to spend so much time arguing about coverage. The girls loved my baby. She still gets a "Hey man, nice car" even after 8+ yrs. I'll miss her. She was a blast to drive. She needs a new rear end, brakes, windows motors, interior stitching and other cosmetics that I can't justify the investment. I'm gonna miss her.

Favorite Features

Did I mention, the girls loved her. She was fun, lots of fun.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the Camaro RS in a hardtop convertible and have pride in the car.

Been great for me!
By GhostTX

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in 1996, V6-3.8L. Have logged 156K miles on it so far. Its been a great car. Typcial wear and tear on it (water pump, power steering pump, a/c compressor so far). Rear axle had to be replaced at 70K as it had some bad bearings. Something other buyers may want to look at. Solid car though, and I've been happy to own it.

Favorite Features

Interior is great and comfortable. I love the fuel economy/tank size. Drove from Dallas to Corpus Christi on ONE tank (approx 410 miles).

Suggested Improvements

I don't like driving it in the rain. It has an extremely light rear end and with the power on the back, could cause you to slide/spin out. The wide tires don't help with hydro-planing either.

Awesome Car!
By Red Storm

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I love my Camaro RS, its so much fun to drive for a V6!

Favorite Features

Red, T-Tops, Ground Effects, smooth ride (even at 100 mph), wide tires, easily custmizable

Suggested Improvements

Great car, needs no improving-- needs more horses :)

It's worth it
By Andee

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I just purchased a used 96 RS model, I am a young guy, I am 20.I look young also,hence, the cops here are all over me.I've been pulled over in my RED camaro about 5 times in the last 3 months.Most of the times for no reason at all, or they would give some lame excuse.This car gets attention !! I believe its worth it though, it handles great,it is fast,and i get a lot of compliments on it

Favorite Features

Exterior design,comfortable to drive,fast,low to the ground,good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible on wet roads,cant see the front nose when youre driving,not a quiet ride,bump on passenger side floor (cat. converter)