1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
I bought a lemon!!
By Meg on 05/16/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $5k and have put nearly that much into it. I do not recommend this car. I replace headlights like you wouldn't believe and at $25 a pop.... Replaced fuel pump, alternator twice, battery etc etc. Ever repair is ten times as expensive as other cars... It stinks!

camaro v6
By mike on 03/20/09 00:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

All and all i must say it was another low quality GM product. I bought the car at 80,000 miles, and had it untill it tanked out around 96,000 miles. During that time, it was broken down more than it ran. Always something, id fix one thing and something else would go wrong. When it did run performance was not what it should have been. My scion and integra are much more fun to drive. The v6 was quick enough for daily driving, but dont expect to win any races. The car was a decent looking car minus the ugly stock rims. The t-tops were cool, and i LOVED the interior. By far the best interior of any car i ever owned. It came stock 2 tone black and red inside.

Can't say goodbye yet!
By Equine on 06/20/08 04:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this beautiful dark green/beige interior Camaro new in 1996. Yes, that was 12 years ago! Only 116,000 miles on it and engine/transmission still going strong with never a breakdown. Since it was garaged at home, the paint looks brand new. Original plug wires were recalled about 2002 in the same week it acted up. No mechanical repairs-only tow different leaks and normal wear and tear parts. Only thing I am unhappy with is an oil leak that started by the 3rd year and was never fixed. (Got tired of going to the dealership-not where I bought this car). Even though I am now car shopping--I still have no plans to sell it. Plan to have it worked on /updated etc and just be my "play car".

Still my girl
By J-Man on 11/20/06 00:01 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

My mother bought this 1996 used white 3800 V6 model w/4-speed auto and ABS in 1998, and then gave it to me when I graduated high school in 2000. Since then, I've been taking it all over the NY-NJ region, customizing it with high performance exhaust, lighting, and intake mods. It now has "only" 76,000 miles, and with a little TLC and regular maintenance still runs with the best of them, and definitely gets looks from guys and girls of all ages. Also my girl's favorite of the 3 cars I owned concurrently over the past 3 yrs, so that counts for something.

Simply amazing!
By Rob on 04/05/06 07:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 and ever since I was little i aslways wanted a Camaro and I finally got one. It's a real fun car to drive in the summer. I even drove it through one winter and it still never gave me a problem. The serpentine belt went on it at 60k and a headlight. But that's all so far. Great head turner, very fast for a V6. It is really as 2 seater and I dont see a reason for the backseats. But overall it is the most reliable car I've ever owned

My Baby!!!
By Hoffy1209 on 03/11/05 01:18 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought her almost 5 years ago and she has been nothing but a blessing. I purchased my Camaro, after having a mechanic look at it, just to be sure, with 43,000 miles on the odometer. I changed the tires recently after my purchase, and bought a new battery. My Camaro is a Florida car so it had no rust underneath. My only major replacement on this car was a wheel sensor mod that went bad after 51,000 miles. I have no other problems to list, minor or major. I have really enjoyed my Camaro. It is by far one of the best cars ever built. It was genius that GM finally decided to put the 3.8 engines in the Camaro, which was in '96. The 3800 series engine is GM's best engine ever built.

1996 chevy camaro V6
By bergman on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. I have owned it for about 2 and 1/2 years, and only had one major problem. The slave cylinder in the transmission and clutch went out at out 90,000 miles.

Camaro, Ya gotta get one
By Z Camaro Man on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is the best car ive ever owned. Everywhere i go i turn heads, and the car is already 5 years old. the ttops are awsome to take off in the summer, and the car will get the ladies;)trust me. By far the best car in the world for the money

Good with the bad
By J,MD on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Last year my wife and I found a used 1996 base model with a V-6. Often we take it down to our parents home in south Florida. In the past three months repairs have started popping up like crazy. Voltage regulator 350 Low beams went out 60 Serpintine belt and the waterpump quit 250 Two weeks ago the fuelpump's check valve failed. The fuel module which includes the pump, sending unit, and check valve. Translated-Chevy charges 406 for the part alone, and by the way the new Camaro has the fuel pump INSIDE the fuel tank. That was 4.9 hours in labor. 847 Done by Chevy with a lifetime warranty.

V6 5spd
By georgia boy on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is truly a great car. It's fun to drive, looks great, gets great mileage, and never breaks. My wife and I have put 35k on it without ever having to repair anything other than a pulley. We need a four-door, and I hope whatever I get is as reliable as this has been.