1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 3.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

1996 Camaro Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
I bought a lemon!!
By Meg

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $5k and have put nearly that much into it. I do not recommend this car. I replace headlights like you wouldn't believe and at $25 a pop.... Replaced fuel pump, alternator twice, battery etc etc. Ever repair is ten times as expensive as other cars... It stinks!

Favorite Features

Bose Stereo, may be the only thing I still like about the car.

camaro v6
By mike

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

All and all i must say it was another low quality GM product. I bought the car at 80,000 miles, and had it untill it tanked out around 96,000 miles. During that time, it was broken down more than it ran. Always something, id fix one thing and something else would go wrong. When it did run performance was not what it should have been. My scion and integra are much more fun to drive. The v6 was quick enough for daily driving, but dont expect to win any races. The car was a decent looking car minus the ugly stock rims. The t-tops were cool, and i LOVED the interior. By far the best interior of any car i ever owned. It came stock 2 tone black and red inside.

Favorite Features

Interior...awesome 2 done black and red felt much more expensive. T tops

Suggested Improvements

Everything else....engine stinks, reliability stinks, not enough power, fuel economy stinks, always broken down.

Can't say goodbye yet!
By Equine

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this beautiful dark green/beige interior Camaro new in 1996. Yes, that was 12 years ago! Only 116,000 miles on it and engine/transmission still going strong with never a breakdown. Since it was garaged at home, the paint looks brand new. Original plug wires were recalled about 2002 in the same week it acted up. No mechanical repairs-only tow different leaks and normal wear and tear parts. Only thing I am unhappy with is an oil leak that started by the 3rd year and was never fixed. (Got tired of going to the dealership-not where I bought this car). Even though I am now car shopping--I still have no plans to sell it. Plan to have it worked on /updated etc and just be my "play car".

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design, Great pick up for a V6, Surprising hauling/cargo capacity with back seat down, factory stereo system that still sounded great 90% of the time until a repair shop(someone backed into it in a parking lot)ruined it last yr-probably while water testing that area for leaks.

Suggested Improvements

Better oil seals, Better headlights for night driving since sitting low, you are right at other cars' headlight level, especially with so many suvs out there.

Still my girl
By J-Man

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

My mother bought this 1996 used white 3800 V6 model w/4-speed auto and ABS in 1998, and then gave it to me when I graduated high school in 2000. Since then, I've been taking it all over the NY-NJ region, customizing it with high performance exhaust, lighting, and intake mods. It now has "only" 76,000 miles, and with a little TLC and regular maintenance still runs with the best of them, and definitely gets looks from guys and girls of all ages. Also my girl's favorite of the 3 cars I owned concurrently over the past 3 yrs, so that counts for something.

Favorite Features

2nd gear start for the automatic was a smart option, which I fortunately have on mine, and utilize in foul rain or snow conditions. Great exterior styling overall, commands respect from afar. Definitely intimidating to others, which I love, and you can't tell unless you're Chevy educated whether it's the 6 or the 8.

Suggested Improvements

Not really a fair point on which to gripe, seeing how this was the poor man's Corvette. V6s came with a basic exhaust that had to go, and poor driving lights that I swapped. I kept the 16's out of practicality, not preference.

Simply amazing!
By Rob

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 and ever since I was little i aslways wanted a Camaro and I finally got one. It's a real fun car to drive in the summer. I even drove it through one winter and it still never gave me a problem. The serpentine belt went on it at 60k and a headlight. But that's all so far. Great head turner, very fast for a V6. It is really as 2 seater and I dont see a reason for the backseats. But overall it is the most reliable car I've ever owned

Favorite Features

All power! Very reliable. Very attractive

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhuast, factory CD player, get rid of the back seats they are useless

My Baby!!!
By Hoffy1209

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought her almost 5 years ago and she has been nothing but a blessing. I purchased my Camaro, after having a mechanic look at it, just to be sure, with 43,000 miles on the odometer. I changed the tires recently after my purchase, and bought a new battery. My Camaro is a Florida car so it had no rust underneath. My only major replacement on this car was a wheel sensor mod that went bad after 51,000 miles. I have no other problems to list, minor or major. I have really enjoyed my Camaro. It is by far one of the best cars ever built. It was genius that GM finally decided to put the 3.8 engines in the Camaro, which was in '96. The 3800 series engine is GM's best engine ever built.

Favorite Features

I love the overall appearance of the vehicle. It definitely gets attention, mostly wanted attention. I love the 3.8 engine, I love the Bose sound system. Does not need to be modded up, looks fine just as it is.

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhausts on the V-6's, 17 rims, just minor silly things. Overall a wonderful vehicle. It broke my heart when I heard that they were going to stop making them. I am holding onto mine!

1996 chevy camaro V6
By bergman

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. I have owned it for about 2 and 1/2 years, and only had one major problem. The slave cylinder in the transmission and clutch went out at out 90,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6. can get going

Suggested Improvements

I and others have had a little problems with the transmission

Camaro, Ya gotta get one
By Z Camaro Man

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is the best car ive ever owned. Everywhere i go i turn heads, and the car is already 5 years old. the ttops are awsome to take off in the summer, and the car will get the ladies;)trust me. By far the best car in the world for the money

Favorite Features

THE POWER, awsome looks, and hella sweet interior

Suggested Improvements

none, i love the car, its pretty much perfect

Good with the bad
By J,MD

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Last year my wife and I found a used 1996 base model with a V-6. Often we take it down to our parents home in south Florida. In the past three months repairs have started popping up like crazy. Voltage regulator 350 Low beams went out 60 Serpintine belt and the waterpump quit 250 Two weeks ago the fuelpump's check valve failed. The fuel module which includes the pump, sending unit, and check valve. Translated-Chevy charges 406 for the part alone, and by the way the new Camaro has the fuel pump INSIDE the fuel tank. That was 4.9 hours in labor. 847 Done by Chevy with a lifetime warranty.

Favorite Features

Excepuatly fast 3800 series II V-6, sleek body style, and an exillirating driving experience no matter if it is short distnace or long road trip

Suggested Improvements

upgrade of known-to-wear parts. (i.e. Rear Main Seal- higher qualtiy seal or strengthen the design)If a car is infamous for wearing a part early than the part should be addressed on the engineer drawing board.

V6 5spd
By georgia boy

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is truly a great car. It's fun to drive, looks great, gets great mileage, and never breaks. My wife and I have put 35k on it without ever having to repair anything other than a pulley. We need a four-door, and I hope whatever I get is as reliable as this has been.

Favorite Features

Great preformance with good mileage (21+ around town) Easy to get into traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Could be easier to see the road while driving.