1996 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
150 MPH for $5K
By Kris on 05/18/10 03:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 140,000 miles for $5K. Have replaced fuel pump, purge solenoid, and both catalytic converters and complete fluid change and maintenance. Car runs great and is fun to drive. Strong mechanical knowledge is recommended for ownership of this car or you will spend $$$ on labor for maintenance. If you spend a couple hours a month on it for maintenance it will give you years of trouble free service. If you neglect it it will neglect you. Replacement parts and maintenance parts are inexpensive and available everywhere. I had a "84 Z28 that had 360,00 miles on it when I sold it and it ran great.

Camaro Z28 1996
By Dr Steve on 05/14/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

The Z28 Camaro is an outstanding high performance car --- as American cars go it's second only to the Corvette. In addition to ballistic acceleration, tight handling, and great looks, the Z28 has outstanding brakes. The 350 ci-in iron V8 (with alluminum heads) pumps out 300 HP and has never left me waiting for a tow. The 4 speed automatic transmission, however, did break down at about 125000 miles and cost a small fortune to be rebuilt. With slightly bigger than factory wheels and tires it handles great. Visibility could be better. It's got it all --- great looks, high performance, and better than average reliability. I expect the 2010 Camaro Z28 to be just as great to own and drive.

Amazing!
By Jesse on 11/02/07 15:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car from a private owner. It has the tune-port eninge making it somewhat rare since in '96 they started using the Vor-tec engine. I love this car. It is the best car to ever be built! Keep it up Chevy!

Camaro Z28 1996
By Dr. J. A. Jaar on 12/23/05 08:20 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Excellent car. GM did not realize how good this car is when they stopped its production. I will keep it for a very long time. We have two more cars, This one is the star.

Z28 is a great car!!!
By Brian Searles on 10/22/05 20:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I don't have enough good to say about my 1996 Z28. The LT1 engine provides effortless acceleration, the ride isn't bad for a sports car, and reliability has been great! Mustang has a long way to go to provide the same kind of driving experience of the Camaro/Firebird. Please GM, bring back the F-body......GTO isn't going to cut it!

My First Muscle Car
By droberts on 11/10/04 11:38 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

This is my first V-8... I've owned a Honda Accord, Acura Integra, and Infinti I30t... I was ready to try something radically different. The Camaro has been very fun.. I love the Power and the T-Tops. Doesn't have the build quality of the other cars I've owned, but my other cars a lot more $$$ to buy. This car makes lots of odd noises... but if you push the gas pedal the cool sound of the V-8 drowns out all the other noises. I've had one consistent problem with the car, which the dealer and other mechanics have been unable to resolve... the power is uneven on light engine load conditions... If It weren't for this problem I'd probably be in love with this car.

my z28
By Beave2780 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought my z28 four years ago after selling my 1988 iroc-z. The performance gains from the z28 and the iroc is unbelievable. Low 13 teens in 1/4 mile with mods (borla catback,K&n intake,3.73 gears). I love my car but now i want a SS.

Love the car!
By AmBeR on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

A 1996 Z28 Hatchback Camaro is a great car! The car hugs the curves so your back end doesn't drift. It just really makes you feel like you're in control.

EXCELLENT CAR, GREAT PERFORMANCE
By Loogie on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I love my 96 Z28, no problems at all. Extremely fun to drive, very fast!! Mustangs don't stand a chance. Great performance for the price. Comfortable interior/leather bucket seats.

Near Flawless
By Thebeast431 on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I read the other reviews about buy a Mustang, Viper, etc. Who want 70hp less for more money in the Mustang, and want to pay 7 time more for a Viper? My Z28 has been great to me. I have had it for 2 years and 25k miles. Replaced waterpump and power steering pump, and thats all. My other problems were related to instlling of my headers, ie. burnt plug wires. Fun to drive, eventhough its an auto, leather interior is very comfortable. I don't know what the other reviewers were talking about bad interior and uncomfortable, they must of had cloth. T-tops do not leak and aftermarket exhaust is a must.