Used 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

I bought a lemon!!
By Meg

1996 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $5k and have put nearly that much into it. I do not recommend this car. I replace headlights like you wouldn't believe and at $25 a pop.... Replaced fuel pump, alternator twice, battery etc etc. Ever repair is ten times as expensive as other cars... It stinks!

Bose Stereo, may be the only thing I still like about the car.

camaro v6
By mike

1996 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

All and all i must say it was another low quality GM product. I bought the car at 80,000 miles, and had it untill it tanked out around 96,000 miles. During that time, it was broken down more than it ran. Always something, id fix one thing and something else would go wrong. When it did run performance was not what it should have been. My scion and integra are much more fun to drive. The v6 was quick enough for daily driving, but dont expect to win any races. The car was a decent looking car minus the ugly stock rims. The t-tops were cool, and i LOVED the interior. By far the best interior of any car i ever owned. It came stock 2 tone black and red inside.

Interior...awesome 2 done black and red felt much more expensive. T tops

Everything else....engine stinks, reliability stinks, not enough power, fuel economy stinks, always broken down.

Can't say goodbye yet!
By Equine

1996 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Bought this beautiful dark green/beige interior Camaro new in 1996. Yes, that was 12 years ago! Only 116,000 miles on it and engine/transmission still going strong with never a breakdown. Since it was garaged at home, the paint looks brand new. Original plug wires were recalled about 2002 in the same week it acted up. No mechanical repairs-only tow different leaks and normal wear and tear parts. Only thing I am unhappy with is an oil leak that started by the 3rd year and was never fixed. (Got tired of going to the dealership-not where I bought this car). Even though I am now car shopping--I still have no plans to sell it. Plan to have it worked on /updated etc and just be my "play car".

Exterior and interior design, Great pick up for a V6, Surprising hauling/cargo capacity with back seat down, factory stereo system that still sounded great 90% of the time until a repair shop(someone backed into it in a parking lot)ruined it last yr-probably while water testing that area for leaks.

Better oil seals, Better headlights for night driving since sitting low, you are right at other cars' headlight level, especially with so many suvs out there.

Still my girl
By J-Man

1996 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

My mother bought this 1996 used white 3800 V6 model w/4-speed auto and ABS in 1998, and then gave it to me when I graduated high school in 2000. Since then, I've been taking it all over the NY-NJ region, customizing it with high performance exhaust, lighting, and intake mods. It now has "only" 76,000 miles, and with a little TLC and regular maintenance still runs with the best of them, and definitely gets looks from guys and girls of all ages. Also my girl's favorite of the 3 cars I owned concurrently over the past 3 yrs, so that counts for something.

2nd gear start for the automatic was a smart option, which I fortunately have on mine, and utilize in foul rain or snow conditions. Great exterior styling overall, commands respect from afar. Definitely intimidating to others, which I love, and you can't tell unless you're Chevy educated whether it's the 6 or the 8.

Not really a fair point on which to gripe, seeing how this was the poor man's Corvette. V6s came with a basic exhaust that had to go, and poor driving lights that I swapped. I kept the 16's out of practicality, not preference.

Simply amazing!
By Rob

1996 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 and ever since I was little i aslways wanted a Camaro and I finally got one. It's a real fun car to drive in the summer. I even drove it through one winter and it still never gave me a problem. The serpentine belt went on it at 60k and a headlight. But that's all so far. Great head turner, very fast for a V6. It is really as 2 seater and I dont see a reason for the backseats. But overall it is the most reliable car I've ever owned

All power! Very reliable. Very attractive

Dual exhuast, factory CD player, get rid of the back seats they are useless